Vik Guitars Discussion

• Thread starter leonardo7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I think you mean Premier Builder's Guild (PBG)? I think that mostly counts as a failed endeavor - their biggest client was probably Johan Gustavsson, and he cut ties with them a year or two in. So did Jason Schroeder. I guess they still do Saul Koll's models, and I do love Saul's work, but I'm hoping it's another Washburn co-op.

Ah, yep, that'd be it; shame, sounded like a cool idea.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

I wasn't too keen. Gene Baker and his team were the ghost builders for the project, so I'm sure they're solid guitars, but we have a weird scenario with the sso popular luthiers. The TGP guys never seem to create long multi-year waitlists, so they were mostly playing a pricing game and the prices weren't significantly discounted. About the same as Ola vs. Astral built Strandbergs.

Workhorse

Reaction score
Mehtab will probably buy them all and sell them for the price of a custom ViK

That dudes buys and sells guitars like its cake. Its really cool, I am sure he is a nice guy too but can he actually play guitar that well?

He changes his mind so often its mindboggling.

Workhorse

Reaction score
Anything less than $2500 would not be acceptable, but I am pretty sure Vik will deliver some quality stuff, hope to be able to buy one.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
That dudes buys and sells guitars like its cake. Its really cool, I am sure he is a nice guy too but can he actually play guitar that well?

He changes his mind so often its mindboggling.

He's posted videos all over the web that show his skill level actually justifies ownership of a "high end" instrument. The flipping on the other hand....

Stereordinary

Reaction score
...wasn't there that "factory" that was taking boutique luthiers' designs and making them as production models?
I think you mean Premier Builder's Guild (PBG)?
That's not quite the case. PBG was a group of investors who contacted a select few boutique luthiers, and licensed some of their designs, which they made in a factory in California supervised by Gene Baker. They pulled some shit, and most of the luthiers pulled out, now there's just Koll and Fano. Things are all copacetic for everyone involved now.

At no point was PBG ever a production facility for luthiers who just wanted to have their guitars made there. I realize that's not what you were saying, but at first I thought that's what you meant.

Zion is an example of a factory that will mass-produce any guitar designer's work for the right amount of money, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was who Vik is contracting with. Not that I know anything about Vik, I really don't, but there aren't many factories like Zion in the US.

blanco

Reaction score
Anything less than $2500 would not be acceptable, but I am pretty sure Vik will deliver some quality stuff, hope to be able to buy one.

Seriously! If he can make a high quality production guitar for less than $2500 thats more than acceptable, it would be awesome.

blanco

Reaction score
No i don't either, i can see him using strandberg* as an template of what to do and that $3k+ is probably the inevitable price but saying it would be unacceptable for him to produce a guitar sub $2500 is quite laughable.

It seems to be the year of the custom shop production guitars. :lol:

Workhorse

Reaction score
I am saying he'll release a couple of models. Some around $2000 and then one around the $3000 mark. I am very curious to see how it works out - Vik has an unbelievable vision and sense of art but this needs extreme organization and care to work.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
You neglected to mention customer service/relations in that last bit....though I suppose it would likely be handled by the manufacturer for these models.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I am saying he'll release a couple of models. Some around $2000 and then one around the $3000 mark. I am very curious to see how it works out - Vik has an unbelievable vision and sense of art but this needs extreme organization and care to work.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a $2k production handmade Vik guitar with any semblance of the options Vik puts on his guitar. It's just not feasible.

Workhorse

Reaction score
I don't get it, are these still being handmade? I was hoping it would be a company like PRS/Carvin would be producing these, with Vik handling all the production requirements.

From what I hear, buying a guitar off him can take a while, how is he going to be handmaking parts of these guitars?

My thought would be to wait until NAMM.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I don't get it, are these still being handmade? I was hoping it would be a company like PRS/Carvin would be producing these, with Vik handling all the production requirements.

From what I hear, buying a guitar off him can take a while, how is he going to be handmaking parts of these guitars?

My thought would be to wait until NAMM.

I'd assume they'll be "handmade" with the rough work being done on a CNC. That's what most companies that need to have volume and consistency go with.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
These would be CnC made and everything would be done by the other company like Washburn Strandberg. Thats the whole idea of setting up a production company. Vik would still build all the handmade custom guitars in Belarus while these guys would churn out fixed spec production guitars.

Workhorse

Reaction score
These would be CnC made and everything would be done by the other company like Washburn Strandberg. Thats the whole idea of setting up a production company. Vik would still build all the handmade custom guitars in Belarus while these guys would churn out fixed spec production guitars.

What do you think the cost of these would be? $3000?

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Judging by the cost of Astral EXR Systems production Strandbergs I would guess $2500-$3500.

They have to be high-quality but at a price appealing enough to a mass market. With guys like RAN, Sabre, Mayones, Skeversen etc already offering slimmed down guitars at good prices they will need to price them close.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok let's keep this on topic. Next post about other forums, banned users, or "justifying" what you own gets someone a nap

blanco

Reaction score
We all have so much speculation about this i can't wait for namm just to get some clarity :lol:
but...
Imagine if it was ESP that Vik was going to be working with. Would be conveniently timed with their setup of an american factory and i could definitely go for a Duality that has ESP standard series quality.

Workhorse

Reaction score
Judging by the cost of Astral EXR Systems production Strandbergs I would guess $2500-$3500.

They have to be high-quality but at a price appealing enough to a mass market. With guys like RAN, Sabre, Mayones, Skeversen etc already offering slimmed down guitars at good prices they will need to price them close.

I think $2500 - $3000 would be a very fair price a lot of people would want to get their hands on. I am curious because there is absolutely no information on this project. Hopefully we get something from NAMM.