Warhammer 40k Megathread

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
^I regret never buying a Carnifex when they remade them just to paint and to have. They look so goddamn cool now.

This thread is killing me with the nostalgia overload. :lol:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

myrtorp

Jiggywiggy
Reaction score
I've been listening to the audio books for 2+ years now, one random book here and there but then back to the wh40k stuff..I've gone through almost the entire Heresy now. I just cant get enough of this universe. Some friends are doing the table top stuff and have tried to get me into it, im not sure i have enough energy for another hobby or if its entierly for me. If I would get an army it would be Mechanicus tho!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome :wavey:

Thats one reason why the Kill Team format is appealing to me. Five to ten basic figures and a modest piece of terrain seems like a nice way to try an army out and see what you like. I know spending all the money for 20+ figures, heroes, vehicles, etc. then having to paint them before you can play a real-ish game to see how you like the game or your specific army was daunting.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been thinking about WH40k recently. I know of some people that play and they said 8e is really solid. And my parents just found all my Tau models in their basement after doing some cleanup.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been thinking about WH40k recently. I know of some people that play and they said 8e is really solid. And my parents just found all my Tau models in their basement after doing some cleanup.

Nice! I'm considering a small Tau army or just a squad for Kill Team as my next project. I know you were active in this thread before but it's a lot to sift through, any pics or a list of what you got? Any recommendations for something Kill Team-esque, meaning medium size, lots of range and line of sight etc.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
It's been many a moon since I've played, my dude. :lol: I think last time I did was shortly after Tau was introduced, so around 2002-3.

Not too sure how exactly Kill Team runs but Tau were always best at a distance, any kind of close combat spelled certain doom for them. I always preferred the longer range pulse rifles over the carbines, though if that's an option.

Quick list of what I ran:

HQ - Commander in Crisis Battlesuit

Elite - 2 x Crisis Battlesuit team

Troops - 2 squads of 12 Fire Warriors with drones
- 1 squad of Kroot Carnivores

Fast Attack - 1 squad of Pathfinders with marker lights and drones
- 1 Devilish troop transport

Heavy - 3 independent Broadside Battlesuits
- 1 Krootox
- 1 Hammerhead gunship

My Crisis suits always had plasma rifles and missile pods and maybe a fusion blaster for heavy armor/vehicles, always with shield generators too. Same went for the Broadsides. I didn't find too much use in the burst cannon when I was almost always going up against Space Marine or Chaos armies and needed something to cut through armor.

If I get back into it, I'm gonna try running an armored corps. troop and see how it goes. Would include only 2 small squads of 6 Fire Warriors and maybe a small squad of Pathfinders for support and marking targets and the rest would be 2 man squads of battlesuits. Not sure what minimum army requirements are anymore but back in 3E they were always 1 HQ and 2 Troop choices and then whatever else you wanted. Also don't know what points cap people are running.

I'm curious what the new drone units do, I only remember attack drones and shield drones which were super basic, but by the look of it there's a handful of new ones they introduced.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
After reading that overview, it's hard to say how Tau would play out there. I can see Pulse Carbines being way more useful for a mobile hit and run squad, along with the pulse grenades being integrated into the Carbine should help them in close combat and against charges. But the Pulse Rifle would give a range advantage against most other squads which would let you shoot at people sooner, assuming it would be a smaller playing field.

With the way they describe charging and close combat, I think that the Pulse Carbines would be a better fit for a squad of Fire Warriors.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread for the umpteenth time and suggesting that it get moved to the Gaming sub-forum since there's a recent tabletop games thread there already? (@Randy)

A friend of a friend has a group he's playing with, and I feel like doing something with my dudes instead of having them sit in a box in my basement. So I've spent the last couple of weeks looking up how to strip paint from my old minis and new colour schemes for them. I've found many posts saying that soaking them for a day in watered down Dettol and then scrubbing with an old toothbrush works, and today at my local hobby shop the person working there suggesting using Green Stuff. So I'll be trying both of those on some of my old stuff and seeing how it works. As usual, I'm posting before I actually do anything. :fawk:

Here's what my Tau currently look like, painted about 16 years ago. Always liked how Dark Angel's Green looked, especially with black and grey, but the red lenses and lights made it look far too Xmasy, and the paint work is lacking to say the least.

I looked up some different colour combinations of other models and even just design swatches to get some ideas and narrowed it down to the circles colours here:

Think I'm gonna go for a light grey/blueish grey theme for my battlesuit-heavy list, like so:

But I also like a dark grey with orange accents like this (more so the first one)

I may end up doing the greyish/brown and orange for Stealth Suits and Pathfinders, but for now I need to spend a shit load of money on paints and test out on some old scrap pieces and drones I still have.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
So I picked up some Simple Green and have had a few models soaking in that for the past 48 hours.

Results of scrubbing after 24 hours:

Not the best but okay for larger flat areas. Let's see what 48 hours does:

As you can tell, it loosens up some of the glue in the process. Not sure how this will go with the finer detail stuff, I may get a small metal scraper, like the one dentists use, to try to get at some of the finer lines. I just hope I can salvage these because I really don't want to buy new kits.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
This universe should be made into a full action movie! Give it a rest with the Marvel/DC stuff, we need some space marine gore for adults.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
This universe should be made into a full action movie! Give it a rest with the Marvel/DC stuff, we need some space marine gore for adults.

I don't know much about this stuff, but I would totally watch said movie.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, I'd watch it too but I dunno how much there would be to the moves beside "For the Emperor! *explosions*" or "Blood for the blood God! *gore*"

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Given how you have the really intricate Imperium politics, the rather enigmatic will of the Emperor, the Mechanica and a horde of factions and beliefs within the Imperium, I'd find it quite the waste to see the movie being all about astartes blowing up evil chaos manifestations or xenos. I mean, all it would need to be every B series action movie ever is a chick psyker with humongous boobs that somehow has this proclivity to walk around chaos controlled worlds semi-naked. :lol:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I picked up some Simple Green and have had a few models soaking in that for the past 48 hours.

Cleaning came out good. TBH, those old metal models seem to have less crisp detail work than some of the newer plastic stuff anyway, I think they're just about ready for a new coat as they are. :2c: Are you going with genuine GW paints for these?

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm pretty satisfied but I'm still gonna do a bit scraping in the lines and see how much work it is. I was also pretty surprised to see how dull the metal pathfinder looked around the edges, so it really looks like they stepped up their game on the plastic models in the last decade. Yeah I picked up some GW paints for the grey/blue theme, I wanted to try out their new paints to see how the different types really work out (base, layers, shades, etc.). Also need to get some brushes since the ones I have are just a variety pack for water colours, so just about all of them are too big. Always gonna feel the sting of how expensive their supplies can get to be. :noplease:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hear ya'. I do everything on a budget when possible but when I was really into 40k, my brother in law and I A/B'd GW paints with other stuff and it's hard to find paint with the same amount of coverage that's still thin enough to get all the details and come in under just buying their stuff.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
I mean, I'd watch it too but I dunno how much there would be to the moves beside "For the Emperor! *explosions*" or "Blood for the blood God! *gore*"

Well, its not like the other action movies are wonders of script and story... Personally, I prefer simpler stories for this genre. Let the existential stuff stay at the Sundance and other festival movies that I watch.