What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Flying out to Texas Domination Fest in September-ish to see Severed Savior. It'll be the first show back in 12 years or something like that. They're also headlining one of the days so that makes it a little better. Oleg from here will also be on 2nd guitar with them so that's sick too.

Also seeing Wormed and Gorgasm at the same show. Never seen either band so pretty hyped for that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalManCPA

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw Meshuggah a couple of months ago. They were awesome. I had seen them 21 years prior open for Tool. I am most looking forward to going to ProgPower in Atlanta in September to see my now all-time favorite band, Lovebites.

DarkstarII

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Obituary, Cannibal Corpse and Amon Amarth in Grand Rapids on May 5. I am excite.

Then Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top. Then Creed in November. Then Black Crows and Aerosmith in Jan. Not sure I'll make it to Heathen in Michigan this May... but want to.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Saw Firewind with Edge of Paradise and Immortal Guardian. At a tiny little venue.

I've seen Firewind and Edge of Paradise before (both at separate DragonForce concert interestingly enough) and they did pretty much everything one would want from them.

Immortal Guardian blew me away. Singer did everything from a Running Wild or Russel Allen type snarl to Edguy's Operatic Melodic singer to Marc Hudson, Ralf Scheepers or Rob Halford type Scream. Even did a little Crash Test Dummies for a little bit at the start of one song. Guitarists/Keyboardist shredded both at the same time better than a lot of guys do either individual.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Saw the Chaos & Carnage tour lineup here in Austin last night. I didn't watch all the acts in full so I'll just write about what I stuck around for.

I was excited to see and hear how Vitriol would pull off their material live. They were pretty tight but the sound wasn't great (pretty sure Matt Kilner on drums was having trouble with his kicks/triggers), don't think they were able to run bass through the PA either so it was just coming out of an Ampeg 8x10, kinda woofy sounding in the crowd. Leadman Kyle Rasmussen played a natural refin Xiphos the whole set, the second guitarist (not sure of his name) played a Caparison V (don't think it was an Orbit because it looked pretty symmetrical/not offset but idk). Pretty sure they both ran Kempers.

The Zenith Passage were next, they were pretty tech death-y. Long songs, multiple guitar solos, synth interludes, the whole 9 yards (more like the whole 9 minutes, they had some long-ass songs). One guitarist and the bassist were playing Kiesels, the other guy had an Abasi. Looked like they were running at least 1 Quad Cortex for the guitars.

Humanity's Last Breath were up next, I was probably most excited to see them as I believe this is their first major US tour. Got a good view of Buster the whole set, he was playing a new Hapas (not his classic Judge model). I think they were running Kempers too. It was probably my favorite set of the night, the pacing was just right and they brought lots of energy. Enormous guitar tones.

Carnifex were second to last on before Cattle Decap. They played well and the sound was good, just not really my cup of tea. Described their set to one of my friends at the show as "pretty bro-y". The rhythm guitarist (Cory Arford) played a gorgeous blue Ibanez RG 7, they used 7s most of the set then brought out 8s for the last two songs I believe. Not sure what amp setup they were running.

Cattle Decap headlined, and unlike most of the other groups they played with actual tube stacks. Josh Elmore played his copper top Cardinal Instruments guitar (made literally two blocks from my house) into a Hiwatt head. Belisario Dimuzio played an ESP (or maybe it was an E-II? lol) into what I think was a Peavey 3120 head. Their guitar stage sound was very different from all the other groups, much drier and crisper, not as wet and saturated as the modeler rigs. Classic DM tones. The set was all over the place, felt a little rushed or a little dragged in most parts but good energy and frontman Travis was pretty entertaining and theatrical.

I hadn't been to a heavy show in about a year and a half and man, am I tired of all the sub-bass. Give me the mids! Give me more guitar! The mix was all kick, bass, and vocals. Either way, it was a good time. HLB were the standout for me. Chime in if you're going to see this tour in your area!thumbnail_IMG_0480.jpg

Last edited:

CannibalCricket

Scabs, locks, strings--picking things
Reaction score
Going to see mc chris this summer in panama city. Last band i saw was coheed and cambria but that was a few years back

devastone

Reaction score
We have tix for Vai and Satch in Denver next Tuesday (5/7). We also have 2 extra tix in the center section that we need to sell, if anyone is interested PM me.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I don't remember if I posted about it already but me and my friend (who I usually go to shows with) decided that we're going to Tuska this year, Friday and Saturday. So I'll finally get to see Dimmu Borgir live after being a fan for 20 years, plus a bunch of other bands.

Then we might also go to Saarihelvetti for one day to see Nekrogoblikon, but that depends on another friend of ours.

And I guess the big thing is that we started discussing possibly going to Wacken next year. Gonna be a major operation though - 21 hours drive from home, four days of camping, booze and metal and then the same 21 hours back. I haven't done any calculations regarding whether it even makes sense to drive there or if we should fly to Hamburg, but we'll see.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I have tix for Dead Can Dance in January (they went on sale in June!)! I've never seen them so it should be nice. I just really like to dance and it's very frustrating that most big shows these days are all seated. If I'm paying $100 for a ticket, I want to dance my @$$ off.

Sorry to revive this old post but I've been a fan of theirs for ages. Saw them twice live in NYC. How did you like the show? I was surprisingly disappointed as Lisa Gerrard just couldn't sing high notes anymore, everything she sang was duller and an octave or so down from the recorded albums. Brendan Perry was fine however. I was also seriously ticked off that they cut the length of "The Host of Seraphim" live.

wankerness

Reaction score
I saw Alestorm a few weeks ago. That was good fun. They're like somewhere between Folk metal and good old fashioned party hard rock like Andrew WK's first album or something. "Fucked with an Anchor" is their big anthem, and it's fantastic. The stage had a gigantic rubber duck overseeing everything, the guys were all dressed up like they were going to the beach, and the audience was loaded with pirate costumes (when we arrived a very cranky security guard was screaming over and over NO SWORDS! YOU HAVE TO LEAVE YOUR SWORDS OUTSIDE!!!).

They had Elvenking and Glyph as the openers, two dorky power metal (I guess?) bands. Elvenking was unlistenable thanks to the shitty sound in The Rave in Milwaukee and their insistence on using deafening drum triggers - you literally could not hear the guitars over the drums. It was awful. I didn't recognize any of their songs, though I know I'd downloaded "Heathenreel" way back when it was new (2001).

Glyph were much, MUCH more listenable cause you could hear what they were doing. They had some stupid stage act where they kept talking about how they're actually aliens. They were goodnatured fun. I don't know what their songs were about, presumably the "fact" that they're aliens.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Saw the Chaos & Carnage tour lineup here in Austin last night. I didn't watch all the acts in full so I'll just write about what I stuck around for.

I was excited to see and hear how Vitriol would pull off their material live. They were pretty tight but the sound wasn't great (pretty sure Matt Kilner on drums was having trouble with his kicks/triggers), don't think they were able to run bass through the PA either so it was just coming out of an Ampeg 8x10, kinda woofy sounding in the crowd. Leadman Kyle Rasmussen played a natural refin Xiphos the whole set, the second guitarist (not sure of his name) played a Caparison V (don't think it was an Orbit because it looked pretty symmetrical/not offset but idk). Pretty sure they both ran Kempers.

The Zenith Passage were next, they were pretty tech death-y. Long songs, multiple guitar solos, synth interludes, the whole 9 yards (more like the whole 9 minutes, they had some long-ass songs). One guitarist and the bassist were playing Kiesels, the other guy had an Abasi. Looked like they were running at least 1 Quad Cortex for the guitars.

Humanity's Last Breath were up next, I was probably most excited to see them as I believe this is their first major US tour. Got a good view of Buster the whole set, he was playing a new Hapas (not his classic Judge model). I think they were running Kempers too. It was probably my favorite set of the night, the pacing was just right and they brought lots of energy. Enormous guitar tones.

Carnifex were second to last on before Cattle Decap. They played well and the sound was good, just not really my cup of tea. Described their set to one of my friends at the show as "pretty bro-y". The rhythm guitarist (Cory Arford) played a gorgeous blue Ibanez RG 7, they used 7s most of the set then brought out 8s for the last two songs I believe. Not sure what amp setup they were running.

Cattle Decap headlined, and unlike most of the other groups they played with actual tube stacks. Josh Elmore played his copper top Cardinal Instruments guitar (made literally two blocks from my house) into a Hiwatt head. Belisario Dimuzio played an ESP (or maybe it was an E-II? lol) into what I think was a Peavey 3120 head. Their guitar stage sound was very different from all the other groups, much drier and crisper, not as wet and saturated as the modeler rigs. Classic DM tones. The set was all over the place, felt a little rushed or a little dragged in most parts but good energy and frontman Travis was pretty entertaining and theatrical.

I hadn't been to a heavy show in about a year and a half and man, am I tired of all the sub-bass. Give me the mids! Give me more guitar! The mix was all kick, bass, and vocals. Either way, it was a good time. HLB were the standout for me. Chime in if you're going to see this tour in your area!

Saw that show last night in Nashville.

Vitriol was the same, couldn't really hear a damn thing that was going on.

I was very excited to see The Zenith Passage, and they delivered exactly what I was looking for. Super tight and heavy tech death. Some maniac in the crowd kept yelling for them to play faceless songs as well 🤣.

Me and the woman stayed for HLB, and they were stupid heavy live. Obviously playing over their own tracks, which I believe even tesseract does. Either way, they were a lot of fun live and how I was hoping they would be.

Oh, and buster is freakishly tall lol.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Had to change vacation plans, so now I'm free to go see Periphery next week. I'm weirdly excited for a band whose music I rarely listen to and whose repertoire I mostly don't care for. I guess it's because they are the reason I got my first 7 string back in 2010, and they're a significant part of the reason I stayed on this forum and didn't just ditch. Some of the OG Bulb and Periphery recordings before their debut album were fucking bomb. I still much prefer Chris Barretto's voice in Icarus Lives.

I may go to Toronto in September to see Korn, Gojira, (possibly) Evanescence, and Spirit Box. Should be good fun! Though tickets aren't cheap...

Latest posts