What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve seen TDWP and the rest of the lineup on the Metalcore Dropouts tour this year , just saw Better Lovers with Greyhaven , SYSC and Foreign Hands , that show was wild . Better Lovers was fucking insane haha , definitely recommend anyone that can see them to do it .

I’ve got Northlane next month , and it’ll be my 4th time seeing Thornhill which is gonna be a blast , they always put on a great show . Actually every band on that lineup I’ve seen 2 or more times previously , besides Wind Waker .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Went to see Sleep Token in Montreal on Saturday. Opened by Empire State Bastard. I had never heard of ESB, and I purposely avoided listening to Sleep Token prior to the concert to see what it would be like going in blind to a band everyone keeps talking about.

I loved Empire State Bastard A LOT more than I thought. It's like hardcore punk mixed in with black metal. It's angsty as fuck, but also kinda silly, and I was eating it all up while the less metal-oriented Sleep Token fans were all weirded out. :lol: The band seemed to be having so much fun on stage being all silly. Dave Lombardo was a beast on the drums, per the usual.

Sleep Token... boy, do I have thoughts. I wouldn't call it the best live show I've ever been to (production-wise to a comparable show, that title may have to go to Tool I think), but it was REALLY fucking good. Impressive as hell lightwork. The sound was really good considering it was a hockey arena. The music I thought was good. Everyone kept telling me I wouldn't expect it... but they were kind of exactly what I expected based on what I had read about them and hype that surrounds them :lol:. It's like a more atmospheric version of bands like Vola and Bad Omens, with more unapologetic influences from R&B and trap music that are popular nowadays. I kind of understand (though don't entirely sympathize with) the hype, and I do like the music and am currently listening to their albums on repeat to give them a proper chance, but, being a metal/guitar-oriented person, Vola and Bad Omens do it better for me. Sleep Token tends to become background music for me so far after a few songs.

Love/hate relationship with the crowd, just because it really includes people from all walks of life. Some people were nice and polite, others not so much. Lots of people under the influence of who knows what, but overall the crowd behaved and was REALLY into the music. They do have some really rabid fans out there, the good and the bad kind. I went with a couple of friends and my partner, and we met some cool and interesting people that had come over from US for the show. It definitely was a night to remember for many reasons, good and bad, and it was a great show... but not my favorite show that I have been to, even if it is up there. Jack of all trades syndrome.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't fucking believe Empire State Bastard toured with Sleep Token. The only thing they have in common is robes and masks. I can imagine some ST fans' confusion. :lol:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't fucking believe Empire State Bastard toured with Sleep Token. The only thing they have in common is robes and masks. I can imagine some ST fans' confusion. :lol:
Haha yeah some people were super into it, but at least half the crowd kept looking at each other and making faces, it was kind of hilarious. I listened to ST's the whole first album today, and I gotta say I enjoyed it live a hell of a lot better :lol: it's not bad at all, I guess it's not my jam as much, or maybe I need to spin it a couple more times... anyway, that's commentary for the Sleep Token thread :lol:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

Depending on who's organising the tour, I can only guess that it could be the labels, tour agencies or that Vessel must be a fan of the members and their work. Empire State Bastard are a supergroup so that's got some appeal. Whether it works or not is also punter dependent.

I saw a bill with Sleep Token, Plini and Northlane in that order, a few years ago. I can understand the appeal and logic (Australians higher on the bill) but putting Plini in between Sleep Token and Northlane was a mistake. So much energy was sucked out of the building. But then again that was my experience, and I'm sure there would've been others at the show would be to differ.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
I saw a bill with Sleep Token, Plini and Northlane in that order, a few years ago. I can understand the appeal and logic (Australians higher on the bill) but putting Plini in between Sleep Token and Northlane was a mistake. So much energy was sucked out of the building. But then again that was my experience, and I'm sure there would've been others at the show would be to differ.
Yeah, I have a hard time imagining that lineup flowing with any sort of coherence.
Would much rather see Plini in a more intimate club/clinic setting, than as the interlude between two full-band bombasts.
As different energies as a candlelit bath and walking beneath a waterfall.

Planning to see Protest The Hero this weekend; it’s a local venue I haven’t set foot inside in a good 15 years, and I’m a little uneasy about being the ‘old dude’ in the crowd. That said, their last album is pretty high on my ‘best of the last 5 years’ list, and I’ve been pretty starved for musical immersion lately.
Discomfort be damned. :hbang:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a hard time imagining that lineup flowing with any sort of coherence.
Would much rather see Plini in a more intimate club/clinic setting, than as the interlude between two full-band bombasts.
As different energies as a candlelit bath and walking beneath a waterfall.

Ageeed. I've seen Plini live in 3 separate occasions and I much preferred him in a smaller intimate setting. And I say that with utmost respect, since he's worked hard to get where he is.

Funny enough I posted about seeing what was ostensibly the most mismatched double bill earlier this year (Boris/Kiyoharu) and enjoying the hell out of it.

Think about how Boris fans who saw a guy they've never heard of play before them and he opened with this:

Now that's confusing. But these guys have been friends forever. And them doing a cover of a an 80s visual kei band they both looked up to, then you realise the connection ran deep.

And you also realise said song also works as a sludge doom song.

It was one of those contrasting bills that totally worked for me.

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
Limp Bizkit is playing on a festival I'm attending in a couple of weeks. I was super into them when I started listening to metal, but I have never seen them live, so I'm looking very much forward to go full nostalgia trip and bark along to all the classics :)

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Limp Bizkit is playing on a festival I'm attending in a couple of weeks. I was super into them when I started listening to metal, but I have never seen them live, so I'm looking very much forward to go full nostalgia trip and bark along to all the classics :)

I'd love to see them live as well for the exact same reason. They were basically the gateway through which I lured all my friends into rock and metal back when everyone was into rap :lol: That and I actually thought their most recent album was pretty good.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got tickets to Sepultura's farewell tour. And Obituary and Agnostic Front are playing to boot.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Saw Pallbearer tonight.

Easily top 5 of the bands I've seen...sounded amazing and played well.

BeyonThe7thSeal

Reaction score
Crytpopsy just played a bbq joint/venue in Iowa city, nothing but local bands as openers. Really cool show and they were super tight. I didn’t think there was many attendees outside of the 4 opening bands and some of their friends. But it is Cryptopsy in fucking Iowa.

Steo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Suffocation are playing here next Sat. Not seen them in, must be at least 15 years or so. Only Terrace Hobbs and I think Derek Boyer still with the band from that gig.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Going to see a couple of Norwegian bands this year (Kaizers Orchestra and Kvelertak). Also got some tickets to see Dream Theater later this year, for the first time :)

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Saw Death to All last night. Real neat to see those songs live, fantastic show. Missed Cryptopsy's set though... they started super early (6:30)

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I bought tickets to Tuska yesterday, so now I'm officially going. Mostly interested in finally seeing Dimmu Borgir, but I'll also get to see Kerry King (I never saw Slayer, so this'll be a bit of a substitute) plus a whole bunch of other semi-interesting bands. That's roughly two weeks from now.

Also Bruce Dickinson two days from now. I've gotten myself really hyped up for the show, should be great. He had a flu last week and had to cancel one show, so we were kinda worried he might have to cancel Finland as well, but luckily he got it sorted and has played a couple of shows since.
I've also been home alone with the kids since last Thursday because my wife's working at a summer camp, so it'll be exactly the break I need...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
A wilhelm scream and Choke. Pretty packed for a wednesday. More than a couple friends, and Choke’s bassist remembered the show I played with them.

Solid night, and assuming my 5am wake-up call will continue :lol:

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0381.jpeg

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
Just got home from seeing Saosin. Probably not a popular band on here by any means. They put on a great show as if it were 2004 again. These guys were one of many bands from around that time that inspired prior bands I played in. They're even better live than recorded. Glad I didn't miss that.