What game are you playing?

• Thread starter mark520
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm have a grand ol' time with Borderlands now that I can play online. And the more I look at it, the more I think "Yeah, I could Platinum this."

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
The more I look at the mechromancer skill tree, the less I like the pure anarchy route, especially with the weird competing moves, like the one that offers benefits for prematurely reloading (which removes all your anarchy stacks). I think I'll just build towards ricochets and elemental proc chance.

wankerness

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm have a grand ol' time with Borderlands now that I can play online. And the more I look at it, the more I think "Yeah, I could Platinum this."

It's one of the easiest platinums there is in this incarnation, I had all of them within about 2 days of release besides the ones for using action skills of the other classes. It sucked on Xbox 360/PS3 cause there was a bizarre achievement that you had to play with someone who'd played with a Gearbox employee.

The more I look at the mechromancer skill tree, the less I like the pure anarchy route, especially with the weird competing moves, like the one that offers benefits for prematurely reloading (which removes all your anarchy stacks). I think I'll just build towards ricochets and elemental proc chance.

It doesn't remove all your stacks, it drains them steadily as you heal and have some huge damage buff, but you can stop the drain (and the buff) by just hitting reload again.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
It's one of the easiest platinums there is in this incarnation, I had all of them within about 2 days of release besides the ones for using action skills of the other classes. It sucked on Xbox 360/PS3 cause there was a bizarre achievement that you had to play with someone who'd played with a Gearbox employee.

I actually got that achievement within my first few hours of playing the first one back on 360 because there were people/developers running around joining lobbies and immediately leaving and then suddenly you’d see the achievement pop. Was pretty cool.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
New game started: Earthbound. I never really properly played it before. Now that I'm older and have some context, I'm seeing a lot of the DNA of much older RPGs in this. When I was younger and tried this out once or twice I just thought "oh this is a bit quirky", but now I kinda understand where it fits between older NES games and more "modern" games that came after.

wankerness

Reaction score
I actually got that achievement within my first few hours of playing the first one back on 360 because there were people/developers running around joining lobbies and immediately leaving and then suddenly you’d see the achievement pop. Was pretty cool.

I got the 360 version a couple years after it came out so multiplayer was a desert, unfortunately!

I've been playing through Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance on GBA. This one is kind of miserable compared to my memory of the later GBA/DS games, mostly because the castle is monstrous and there are no teleport points and only a couple places where you can transition between the EVUL castle and the regular castle and you frequently have to do so, plus the screen is so small that it's incredibly difficult to tell where there are gaps in the wall that signify places you need to go. I have all of the items that unlock areas, something like 180%, and can't figure out where the hell I'm supposed to go to just kill the final boss!! This is a design problem!

Oh, the music completely sucks, too. It's weird to say that about a Castlevania game.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Oh, the music completely sucks, too. It's weird to say that about a Castlevania game

Yeah, it's widely considered the worst music in the series. Which sucks considering Michiru Yamane was involved and even her contributions were ho hum at best. It's flaws (and Harmony of Dissonance in general) really shows when side by side with Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Hadda good laugh playing MGS1 last night on ps3. Got to the Mantis fight and put the controller on the floor for shits & gigs, i have hardwood floor and when it started vibrating my cat was stricken with fear and quickly abandoned the couch lol.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's a question for everyone...

How long do you try to get through a part that you're stuck at?

I might try a couple times then be like, alright I got other shit to do! Lol.

Thats my situation with just about every game nowadays. Maybe its because I'm older now. When I was a kid I would stay persistent until I got through but now, I cant be bothered.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
Been jamming out some Risk of Rain 2.

Honestly if I can't do it in the first two or three times, it either goes one of two ways:

I stop playing and try to think of what I could be doing better

I keep trying for hours and stop playing the game for months :lol:

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been jamming out some Risk of Rain 2.

Honestly if I can't do it in the first two or three times, it either goes one of two ways:

I stop playing and try to think of what I could be doing better

I keep trying for hours and stop playing the game for months :lol:

Yeah same here. I burn out on games in general and will stop playing altogether for months.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Currently getting it handed to me by Sekiro, absolutely loving the game though #feelsgoodman

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I completely finished Slime Rancher since it was free through Epic Games. It's an amusing game with lots of bright colors and stuff. I actually really enjoyed how advanced you can get in trying to devise a plan to have the most efficient farm using drones and pairing the right slimes that eat certain foods together. Not a lot of content to the game really though. I beat it in like a few days. The story is trying to be interesting and philosophical/reflective at times but isn't at all really imo. Feels like a beta release still.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score

depends on the game for me. with dark souls 2 i wasted hours fighting the goddamn lava demon because I was being stubborn and trying to beat him without blocking.
i have a lot of patience for bullshit any more, as a kid I got pissed at the desert level of mario 64 and never finished it. same with the water temple in ocarina of time (i beat ocarina when i was way older).

wankerness

Reaction score

I might try a couple times then be like, alright I got other shit to do! Lol.

Thats my situation with just about every game nowadays. Maybe its because I'm older now. When I was a kid I would stay persistent until I got through but now, I cant be bothered.

That's a really good question! I tend to give things anywhere from 3-10 tries (depending on annoyance of time it takes to re-try it) before I will look up a youtube video or forum posts about how to do it the easy way. I don't think that I have gotten stuck on anything for legitimate mechanical difficulty that required me to "get gud" in a long time. Probably cause if things start tending to just annoy the shit out of me I'll turn the difficulty down a notch. Ex, I got really far into Yakuza Kiwami and it was taking ~5 minutes every time the roaming, unavoidable, un-perma-killable miniboss Majima attacked me, so I just said "screw, it I mainly care about the story anyway" and turned it down so I could knock him out in more like 45 seconds and not get really annoyed every time he showed up.

Most of the time when I get stuck on something it's cause I can't tell what I'm supposed to do, not that I can see but can't do it. If it's something like a really long obnoxious section of a game where I'd have to do the entire thing over if I died, and I'm not having fun, I'll sometimes pause the game and look it up really fast much closer to the FIRST try. :p Ex, the puzzle buildings in Assassin's Creed 2 or some of the sections of puzzles in Tomb Raider Reboot 2 that would kill you instantly if you didn't know exactly what you were doing.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I will give it a few goes, but if I honestly seem to be dying and making no progress like “is there a trick to making him take damage, am I even doing this right?” i’ll Just look it up online.

I’d watch all boss fight for FF14 online beforehand because I didn’t have time in the evening to fuck up and start over (and I was tanking so if I messed up we died).

I leave a gap for the soulsborne games as the whole point is learning. So I take those slowly.

Life is short I play my FPS’s on medium at worst now. I’m trying to see the ending.

wankerness

Reaction score
Oh man, if you're a tank in an MMO, you BETTER look up the strats beforehand. Even though DPS almost never seems to know what they're doing, EVERYONE hates the tank if they don't know the fight going in and will kick them if they don't (in WoW, anyway - I never was in an FF14 group where they hadn't). It's amazing. It's partly cause the fights are all designed to kill everyone if the tank doesn't move the bosses into the right space/use defensive cooldowns at the right times/face them the right way, where no one but the healers really care if a DPS stands in a fireball and loses half their health. :p I never tanked in endgame again after I stopped playing WoW more than a couple hours a day, it was too frustrating and stressful and you were expected to massively outgear every encounter (even though no one else was).

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Tanking in WoW was easy because wow uses the enmity/threat mechanics as the tanking abilities. IE “press these buttons and hold aggro, press anything else and die”

FF14 Tanks are just DPS classes with extra threat generation. So as a Warrior I would end up out DPS-ing sub optimal/bad dps.

Hardest part of tanking in FF14 is getting used to dropping tank stance and tanking in dps stance.

wankerness

Reaction score
Tanking in WoW was easy because wow uses the enmity/threat mechanics as the tanking abilities. IE “press these buttons and hold aggro, press anything else and die”

Oh, holding threat was a joke the last several years of WoW, but it was knowing exactly when and where you had to move things during encounters or the entire group would be killed that was the stressor. I played a bunch during the Legion expansion and they'd REALLY increased the amount that tanks had to do in encounters and the punishment if they didn't do it right. Lots of huge death fields, or areas where the boss would instantly enrage if you didn't move them out of it, or bosses that would shoot out cone damage that would instantly kill everyone that was in front for 100 yards, encounters where you fought packs that would spawn really far away from each other, those kinds of things.

I last tanked in WOTLK as a warrior. That was the class that had the most buttons, but the only real difficulty in 5 mans once you had gear that meant you could live through everything was that you'd have morons in your group that would immediately single target mobs before you could touch them and then you'd have to run and chase them and then moron #2 would focus fire on mob #2, repeat ad nauseum. "TANK BETTER1!!11" It almost immediately turned me into the asshole tanks I hated playing with when I was a healer/DPS who just aoed every group of mobs and intentionally let people die if they pulled extra stuff or FF'd wrong. The only instance I remember having trouble with regularly was Halls of Reflection, where mobs would spawn one after the other and only some would run at you instead of spamming ranged abilities, and they hit harder than enemies in regular dungeons. Since warriors had most of their good abilities on long cooldowns it made it hard to pick everything up if people were being dumb. Ugh.

I did tank some raids back then, and at the time, before LFR queues existed, the only things you were PUGing on most servers were like...Trial of the Champion or the first couple bosses in Arthas's citadel, where as a tank you mostly just stood in one place and mashed your threat rotation and maybe taunted off the other tank when DBM told you to and it was twice as easy as 5 mans. Times have sure changed!

I played FF14 for a while. I think I almost maxed out a healer in the Heavensward expansion and thus did all the raids on the way to max level once or twice in queue. It was annoying how as a healer you had to switch between healing and dps. There was a lot less room for error than in WoW as a healer since the GCD was so damn long that any mistake essentially had double the impact. I only tanked for the first couple instances before I stopped playing and went back to WoW so I don't really remember what you describe about DPS.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Yep. Healers in FF14 are ALSO dps classes, just like tanks. And they can pump out 50-70% of the damage as any given dps class and are expected to.

FF14 is the fastest dungeons and raids I’ve ever seen. And that’s just expected.

I much prefer it to WoW’s “were gonna play for 4 hours tonight” raid model.

I didn’t seriously raid in WoW since TBC. Every time I went back though the game felt identical. Like there was no real growth. Thankful for that as it’s what finally got me off the game.

Latest posts