What music do kids like today?

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Zoidberg

Why not Zoidberg?
Reaction score
Probably the smartest "kid" in regards to art and/or music. Also, for hip-hop try Aesop Rock's Skelethon Album. If you want more hip hop recomendations or to just discover a new album on a day to day basis...just watch the needle drop on YouTube.

Thanks for the kind words and recommendations! I'm really enjoying Aesop Rock thus far.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Espresto

Reaction score
I'm 17, technically on my last year of being a kid. Honestly I think that some kids in this thread are a little too proud of themselves.

Most people I know, when exposed to good music (with an open mind), end up getting into good music. All my friends are obsessed with Guthrie Govan these days, and most of them aren't musicians. Little Tybee is circulating too. There are lots of Protest fans around, and a few Sikth fans. Most people listen to some Jazz, or even play it. Literally everybody knows who Miles Davis is and has listened to some.

The younger generation is fine; listening to decent music doesn't make you as much of an outlier as you'd like to think it does.

Dr Zoidberg

Why not Zoidberg?
Reaction score
I'm 17, technically on my last year of being a kid. Honestly I think that some kids in this thread are a little too proud of themselves.

Most people I know, when exposed to good music (with an open mind), end up getting into good music. All my friends are obsessed with Guthrie Govan these days, and most of them aren't musicians. Little Tybee is circulating too. There are lots of Protest fans around, and a few Sikth fans. Most people listen to some Jazz, or even play it. Literally everybody knows who Miles Davis is and has listened to some.

The younger generation is fine; listening to decent music doesn't make you as much of an outlier as you'd like to think it does.

Wow, the music scene must be very different in China, or your group of friends is pretty atypical. I'd guess probably 10% of my friends know who Miles Davis is. Whenever I play anything remotely proglike in my car with friends, I get groans and usually end up switching to something easier to listen to.

I'd agree that listening to a certain type of music is not really anything to be proud of, though, because no form of music can be said to be objectively "better" than another. It's all preference.

redstone

Reaction score
come on, those dudes have more talent than most djent bands (sorry SSO)

Espresto

Reaction score
Wow, the music scene must be very different in China, or your group of friends is pretty atypical. I'd guess probably 10% of my friends know who Miles Davis is. Whenever I play anything remotely proglike in my car with friends, I get groans and usually end up switching to something easier to listen to.

I'd agree that listening to a certain type of music is not really anything to be proud of, though, because no form of music can be said to be objectively "better" than another. It's all preference.

To be honest it is probably abnormally good around here, but it started with a couple people spreading good music around. If the first thing people hear when you introduce them to "good music" is Meshuggah, DEP, or Coltrane then of course they won't get into it, it's like throwing people into the deep end of a pool. Most people will like Jamiroquai, most people would enjoy Guthrie Govan, BADBADNOTGOOD is always fun; nobody starts with really progressive music, but if people are shown slightly progressive music that still sounds familiar then that's the direction they'll move in. Not everyone has musical parents or plays an instrument, sometimes people have to be shown by their peers. If someone's into One Direction then show them John Mayer, maybe if they really like John Mayer they'll get into SRV, and so on and so forth.

Spacepants

Reaction score
Guitar isn't cool anymore, because everyone can "play" (i don't really count playing a few chords is really playing but the public do) guitar now.

The new cool thing for kids nowadays is EDM. White people can actually make good money in music again without relying on country/folk by pressing a few buttons live. I'm not hating or anything. its true that DJing is easy as hell, but the production and creation of EDM music is hard. Even with a lot of skill/talent, its still a hit or miss, right place, right time kinda thing almost always. In terms of that trend, Deep house is the next genre thats going to gain hype imo. All kids want to do is get intoxicated off numerous substances and go to festivals to "enjoy life YOLO, bro" (kids dont say YOLO anymore that trend is gone, but they still act on it). I don't think thats anything new though.

Chainsmokers - #Selfie (Botnek remix) [festival stuff example]
The Chainsmokers - "#SELFIE (Botnek Remix)" (Audio) | Dim Mak Records - YouTube

Zhu Ft. Sean Dee - Faded (remix) [Deep house, with rap]
ZHU Ft. Sean Dee - Faded (Remix) - YouTube

Rock is pretty much dead, man. There are some kick ass bands out there supporting this hippy/psychedelic movement thats happening (which is seen in modern hiphop aswell; Chance the Rapper, Kendrick lamar for example) but as far as rock'n'roll theres almost nothing.
Tame Impala - Lonerism [album stream]
Tame Impala - Lonerism - 2012 (FULL ALBUM) - YouTube

Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap [album stream]
Chance The Rapper- Acid Rap (Full Album) [HQ] - YouTube

Theres a side to Hipster music thats in the mainstream thing now. Modern hipster or indie music involves a lot of electro and acoustics. I have bad relations with a lot of hipsters, don't ask, yet theyre healthy for the music community because they're making it cool to actually BUY albums again.

Mac Demarco - Salad days [album stream]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQqXllXpfQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HQqXllXpfQ

Foster The People - Best friend - Supermodel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndzln1UEyf0

Metal IMO is the only genre that still competes solely with music instead of image/materialistic things with the exception of bands like black veil brides, avenged sevenfold, and warped tour depressed-tumblr-girl metal bands. Metal is an acquired taste, but still alive and kicking...just not in the mainstream. I don't know about the rest of the people on this forum, but its so hard for me to find a not-so-metalhead metalhead that listens to metal other than Metallica, Linkin Park's older stuff, disturbed, and avenged sevenfold. Again not trying to hate, but raise your metal game up, bro. :/

I really feel that these things are out there. As in non-sell out, all about the music, type stuff throughout all genres, but they're just not getting any air time. Its always the same artists that the general public aren't entirely stoked about, and their music gets played too much all over, like a domino effect, that people become content with them. I really think modern music is way better than the 80s or 90s, you just gotta know where to look. i'm 19, I feel my generation don't really appreciate music, for the music; they're more into the energy it gives them. Which isn't bad per se, but it really seems you can write a song with a cool 4/4 beat, riff, groove, and sing about watching paint dry, kids will still listen to it if they can dance to it or if it helps them enjoy their substance behaviors.

I think about this kinda stuff a lot. I don't research anything though; this is just my take on it.

J7string

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I listened to Metallica, AC DC, The Beatles, The Who, Ozzy, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Simmon and Garfunkel, Allan Jackson, Shenia Twain, Conway Twitty, Earth Wind And Fire, The Commodores... Hell... I can keep picking things out that I listened to as a kid until my brain explodes... But I listened to... A LOT of music from rock, to country... Oldies, funk, jazz, blues, classical, folk...

As I got a bit older, I turned to metal more often than not... When I was 15 I started listening to Nevermore, Opeth, Dream Theater, and I went on the road to good progressive metal, which turned to more melodic death metal, folk metal, etc... and when I see these "pop" and techno metal bands... or just shitty metal bands to begin with... staring hardcore vocals and breakdowns, paired with some wussy ass singer who just sounds like a whiny prepubescent teenager... I just want to rip my ears apart inside and all.

I don't know what the future holds for metal... But it's following the same pattern as anything really. It's easy to make, it's easy to understand, it's easy to gather your friends around it...

It's easier to hold someone's hand rather than give them something to think about and appreciate for their own reasons. Why give somebody and intricate and complex puzzle to solve when you can throw the answer at them to begin with? And that's the problem with modern day society. Everything is too simple. When things are too simple, anybody can do anything. When anybody can do anything, the integrity of what is being done gets lost. Without any integrity, everybody just makes a base template and sticks to it, and when somebody comes along to criticize it, and tells everybody they're doing it all wrong, everyone gets pissed off and preaches that that small percent just doesn't get it.

Reaction score
Protip: If you're a bedroom warrior with your own special snowflake tastes nobody wants to know what you're listening to, you aren't representative of what the thread is about. When I was 14 all I listened to was thrash, if someone asked me what I listened to so they could get an idea of what was out there I'd have given them a completely shit perspective on where music was in 2004 other than that some kids were listening to 80s stuff, facilitated by p2p and the internet. There will always be outliers.

What's popular right now? Sludgewave, Hardcore, Soft Grunge, Deathcore still has a few remnants going. Loads of old Deathcore bands are completely boring now (they either went too Djent or too Death Metal and none of the original stuff people actually liked is there anymore) and people are starting to get nostalgic over the good old days. Djent is very big with kids.

There are some UK bands that pretty much everyone except old internet metal nerds dig, and even then some IMN's love this shit.

On a wider scale though:

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
Kid's in my town and around are listening to the regular crap on the radio, indiepop or metal..
90's era Death-metal are quite favorable here and 70's/80's heavy metal too!

I got into Dream Theater when I was about 8 y/o, after that thing's just got heavier until about 2 years ago when I got tired of the djenty-hardcore-breakdown stuff and went back to my "roots" of music.. Dream Theater, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Tiles, Spock's Beard, etc...

Now Im 22 y/o and kid's for me are 18 and under.. can't believe or understand the music that's "in" today!

ghost2II2

Reaction score
My 18 year old listens to stuff like Amon Amarth, Dream Theater, Yes, Emerson lake and Palmer, and Kansas.

My 16 year old listens to Porcupine Tree, NIN, Tool, Opeth, and Pink Floyd.

The two of them are night and day from one another in terms of personality. Having said that, I think as Dad I've done a pretty good job when I see what most of these imbeciles listen to these days. :D

Eliguy666

Holy shit I've been inactive for awhile
Reaction score
I'm sixteen (barely), and not a good example. Listen mostly to slam, bdm, and grindcore. Stuff like Nails, Anaal Nathrakh, Ingested, Infant Annihilator, Dragged into Sunlight, and Defeated Sanity.

Most people my age listen to either "Like, whatever" or butt-rock/emo (looking at you, Black Veil Brides, Blood on the Dance Floor :rolleyes:). I much prefer the people who aren't involved in music, just because they aren't pretentious asses about the stuff that calls itself metal to attract scenesters. There's still a scattering of everything else, because "the youth" isn't just a clone army of people up to 18, of course.

In general, what the current high school age lacks in passion is made up for with openness.

Black43

Hated Ibanezes once
Reaction score
At the age of 16 (nearly), most of my mates don't even know what metal is. All of that electronic crap is what's currently in at the moment. It's hard to talk about anything music related with them... Not that I'm trying to sound like a douche here :)

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I'm old. No idea what kids in the UK like, I'm not a nonce.

However, I swear that folks in other countries are doing it right. Was out visiting friends in Slovakia a couple of weeks back, and their town had a family-friendly(ish) beer festival. The kids were all loving a covers band pushing out AC/DC, Deep Purple, Led Zep, Sabbath and all the classics.

Randy D

Reaction score
Its breakdowns inside other breakdowns while breaking down.....

Not really my thing.

Best quote ever..........lol lmfao :lol:

While i agree with the notion that there are alot of horrible excuses for musicians out there nowadays, I have to remind my fellow old dogs that there was a myrad of sht that came out along side much of our favorite music. It's all realtive. Many bands from our era's where shamefully commercial and sounded like a train wreck. Yet there are still kids who look for classics....(Sadly to some that is 1990's era bands but not the point) lol............. Yet i believe many seek out older music to help develope their sound.

There are more kids into progressive now than ever. I think that says alot.......There is still respect for talented musicans and true artistry.
You just have to look for it.

I recommend CHON not heavy per say but talented......