Whats Your DAW and Why?

• Thread starter JTL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
Pro Tools 10. I am actually certified in both PT10 & Logic Pro 9. I feel like Pro Tools lets you work & Logic wants you to baby sit it most of the time to make sure it's not doing shit you're not aware of. Tracking in Logic is a nightmare.

However, if most of what you're doing is electronic music / lots of VI's, then by all means go for Logic. If you're recording real musicians playing real instruments, go for Pro Tools. Plus, It's still BY FAR the professional studio standard. Even if you don't like it, it's a good idea to learn it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chimp_spanner

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Cubase 7, although in all honesty I feel like 6.5 was a lot faster so I'm kind of hoping that the next big update will sort things out. Saying that my PC is a little behind the times. Either way, I use Cubase because I love the workflow, especially when it comes to MIDI. It has some great modifiers and plugins for real time MIDI processing. Automation is really easy (to me anyway!). And more than anything, I've been using it since it was in black and white on the Atari. So in all likelihood, I'll probably never change haha.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Logic, because it's very easy to pick up and use off the bat, I like the interface, and it does everything I need it to and more. It's a DAW that's as flexible as I want it to be without the hassle of an interface that puts too many buttons and menus up when the average user doesn't need them, or know what they are.

FearComplex

Reaction score
Reaper. I just get stuff done quicker with it. Right click anything and there's all the options you need, I rarely have to stray from the track window and use it's menus.

metalmonster

Reaction score
Reaper.

'cause the evaluation version is free and for what i do, right now ... and because i can actually afford the full license.

Besides : it is a great DAW. Light on the CPU, and i find it pretty easy to use. Both things are good for me since my "music computer" is some slow, old P4 (but it does have a GREAT soundcard. A very good one. I might get some gear at some point and upgrade it, keeping the box, PSU, DVD+RW drive and of course, the soundcard. ) . But right now, i'm happy with it.

(anyone know how to install Addictive drums free without an internet connection ? )

JamminJAP

Reaction score
Trying out Reaper now.... But I have no idea what I'm doing so my reply doesnt mean much.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Logic 9 Pro, because its fucking awesome

I'm taking the semester [+(?)] off, but at school I used mostly pro tools.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I am still on Logic 8. lol

However I used to use ProTools at school and i could never feel comfortable with it.

I also have a Reaper license that I never use. But if my Main workstation goes down I can always switch over to Reaper with little issue.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Ableton 8... It just made sense to me and it hasn't let me down yet. I'll change when I'm unhappy.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I think - for some - it depends on when they tried it.

My only interaction with FL was waaaaay back during version 3...

I'm sure it's come a looooooooong way since then, but I can't speak fondly of my experience. ;)

It has, but I find I have a better experience in other DAWs still. :2c:

Thrawn

Reaction score
I've been using Pro Tools 8 LE for the last 18 months or so and I like it a lot but I hate the fact I'm tied to my MBox 3 which has now developed a crackling volume pot. At some point down the line I will need a new interface and I realized that I didn't want to shell out for PT10 so I need to move to a new DAW.

I run a Mac Mini and an old Macbook Pro for portable recording so I wanted something that will cover both bases. Ableton is fun though not ideal so I tried both Logic Express and Reaper and didn't get on with either of them.

I picked up Presonus Studio One v2 Producer for $115 from Audiodeluxe after reading some great reviews. Hopefully I'll get my download codes tonight and take it for a spin. I didn't see the point in shelling out double the $$ for the Professional edition as I don't need all of the functionality such as the mastering suite because I'm already running Melodyne and Izotope Ozone. If I dig PS1 and I do need the full version further down the line I will wait for another sale and upgrade.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Garageband when I do some simple covers.

Logic 9 Pro for more in-depth stuff for my band, YouTube videos...

Both are extremely easy to work with.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Cakewalk Sonar X1.

I've been using Sonar since version 6 I think and I'm really, really comfortable using it.

The Native plugins are very good and powerful [Synth and Drums] and the DAW handles MIDI and audio extremely well. It was also one of the first few to support x64 and multiple Core CPU's. This was a HUGE plus when 4 core processors had just come out.

Besides that, I love the color scheme. I know this sounds ridiculous but at 3:00 am the mute colors are really soft on my eyes. I've been able to use most third party plugins without issues and the same goes for hardware.

I've also been able to pull up old projects into the new version without much trouble.

But I guess once you get comfy with any DAW it all pans out.

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
I use PT 8.0.5 LE for 3 reasons:

industry standard
[one of the] best DAWs
came with my interface

however, all daws have some great things about them, and of course shortcomings, I love adobe audition for example, but I would rather use the industry standard

PTI

Reaction score
Cubase 4 Le because I cant afford a better one and I am very used to Cubase because of that.

BeyondDan

Beyond Fiction
Reaction score
Proud user of Reaper here! So cheap and so powerfull!! For what i do i don't need anything more!!

TallestFiddle

Reaction score
Reaper! Its free to try and cheap to buy. Seems to be an amazing piece of software for any hobbyist. I'm not even close to the point where I would need anything more.