Who's the cleanest electric guitar player you've heard

• Thread starter sojourner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rapterr15

Reaction score
No Mattias IA Eklundh mentioned, yet? I am disappoint. Dude is ridiculously clean and the sounds he achieves are pretty unique to my ears.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Rick Graham is another level of clean, considering how insane his runs are - he is almost flawless.

Other contenders I have seen on YouTube:

1. Christian Muenzner (Obscura, Necrophagist):

I am not sure how he is live with his injury, he quit Obscura because of it. But this tapping run is pretty incredible.

2. John Petrucci(Dream Theater):

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Michael Romeo from Symphony X is pretty good at playing cleanly. He does alot of lightning fast shredding and every note rings out with good tone

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
I'm going to have to chime in and say "all of the guitarists who can play like they SOUND like they're making 'mistakes' but are purposely playing loose and can also take control when they need to." To me it seems that requires an alternate level of "cleanliness", it's not metronomic and one-sided, it's all encompassing, and I think that's what makes those players unique, as well.

A lot of the players mentioned here are amazing guitarists, but I wonder if they could really break off of the metronome and loosen up for a while, and then go back to playing technically.

I really admire the players like Fripp and Howe (Steve) who can do both; convince you that they've only been playing guitar for a week, and then on the next track, or even a moment later in the same track, do things that don't even seem possible on a guitar, cleaner than seemingly possible (with no hair ties or "hands-over", either!). Holdsworth does it pretty excellently, too, especially on the older I.O.U., Velvet Darkness, Soft Machine, etc. stuff.

ibanice

Reaction score
My choice is without a doubt Ron Jarzombek

He's the cleanest sounding guitarist out there IMO.

AAAnd then there's this guy known as Alex hutchings. He's just amazing in general. He has some of the best sounding phrases and he just tames that guitar like a smooth butt!

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score

2:50 here. Gain is for pussies :coffee:

half-kidding aside :lol:

Jason Richardson
Jakub Zytecki
Petrucci
Gilbert
John Browne (shred ain't everything)
Govan
Lane

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Paul Gilbert
Wes Hauch
Paul and Dusty from BTBAM
Jeff Loomis
Chris Letchford
Nolly
John Browne
John Petrucci

EDIT: man, didn't realize how old this thread was and that I gave an almost identical answer a page or so back :lol:

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
How have you missed Muhammed Suiçmez?!

I was blown away by this guy's live playing. Everyone in the band at the time, really.....