WTF is this sh*t?

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
This is annoyingly ignorant; it's just that attitude that metalheads have towards the blues where they think it's simple and just get completely the wrong idea. Yeah, plenty of bluesmen slate shred for lacking 'emotion' but I assure you the blues is a lot more complex than you think. There are plenty of shit blues players out there, but there's guys like the aforementioned SRV who are just mind blowing, I'd take him over any shredder any day of the week because more often than not it's a million times more tasteful. And really, a big bend is more of a cause to make a face than sweeping like crazy...

Also since when are most 12 year olds into blues?

the focus changes as you change musical styles. some ppl choose to ignore this... ask any blues-bashing metalhead to WRITE a blues song...

and yes... that comment was specific to the metalheads who choose to haphazardly bash other styles of music for not being as "difficult" as if that's the goal behind music in general. (i like metal and many of my friends are metalheads...)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I actually own this bands E.P., I'll throw it in now and again because when it isn't tedious its fun to listen to. It's not my favorite album/EP/whatever by any means, but I can still find certain parts of it that I enjoy.

On a side note, I feel the need to administer some Morbid Angel worship:

Ckackley

Reaction score
The pendulum swings .... Remember "Grunge" ? we're a the opposite end of the spectrum now. Eventually it'll swing back and it won't be cool to really play your guitar anymore. Back and forth. It seems the really good music that melds feeling and technique comes in the in between swings.

Rashputin

Reaction score
For real. Friends of mine are always saying "you'll love this band" and go so far as to burn me a CD of some so-called technical death metal WANKING that's as offensive to my ears as a lot of `80s glam rock whammy bar abuse. It's like there is this rebellion against any sort of traditional song structure or even the slightest influence of melody.

Gotta have dynamics. Peaks and valleys, people! I miss the good ol' days when "heavy" was a product of awesome riffs and interplay between musicians, not tuning down as low as possible and cramming everything together, compressed to hell to get any sort of tightness.

Yes.

Reaction score
since when are loving theory and loving music mutually exclusive? it seems everyone is trying to make clear divides in something that's abstract. just let it be...

And there is no divde. Honestly I think some people are just naturally musically inclined, and some people aren't. Those that aren't might lean a little more towards theory and less about feel..only some people (to which this thread is about) take a faaaar hard turn into theory, and seem to be unable to connect musically apart from what looks good on paper. These kinds of people leave out what's, in my opinion, the most important trait for musicians and guitarists.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Fred said:
And yeah, these arguments tend to descend into people reminding other people of the pitfalls of subjectivity, because a lot of us are fairly consistently amazed at how often people forget that you need some semblance of an argument outside of "I don't like this because it sucks and it sucks because it's not in line with my taste" to avoid meaningless circularity.
Absolutely.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
And there is no divde. Honestly I think some people are just naturally musically inclined, and some people aren't. Those that aren't might lean a little more towards theory and less about feel..only some people (to which this thread is about) take a faaaar hard turn into theory, and seem to be unable to connect musically apart from what looks good on paper. These kinds of people leave out what's, in my opinion, the most important trait for musicians and guitarists.

So if I read that correctly you're arguing that these ppl are more qualified as "fretboard technicians" than actual "musicians".

Reaction score
So if I read that correctly you're arguing that these ppl are more qualified as "fretboard technicians" than actual "musicians".

Depends on your definition of a musician. Technically they are musicians and I wouldn't call them anything less, however to me they miss what makes a musician good.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I personally don't care what people choose to do in music.

I get on with what I want to do and I'm quite happy for them to do the same.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand:

Why is it cool to be so awesomely technical on guitar, bass, drums, keys but the only cool thing to do on vox is go UGHGGHGHH RAAAAAAWWW GRRR UUUHHHH?

Learn to fucking sing asshole, you're dragging your whole band down.

If you're going to play guitar like a 21st century cyborg, why have a caveman vocalist? It doesn't fit the music at all in theory or in practice.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The technical aspect of the music didn't bother me, but the note choices clashed in a way I found unpleasant.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score

Why is it cool to be so awesomely technical on guitar, bass, drums, keys but the only cool thing to do on vox is go UGHGGHGHH RAAAAAAWWW GRRR UUUHHHH?

If you're going to play guitar like a 21st century cyborg, why have a caveman vocalist? It doesn't fit the music at all in theory or in practice.

Bridging the gap from prehistoric-school to new school...? :lol:

*Konfyouzd is not opposed to growled vocals

guitareben

Reaction score
And emotion is completely and utterly subjective. So, is feel. You can't say, "There's no feeling in this so it sucks." It just doesn't work.

I don't enjoy music like this at all. But I'm sure that somebody out there is getting something out of it.

Or maybe the musician's are just having fun express themselves technically. Or maybe music like this isn't about feeling or whatever but is more about energy and intensity. Nothing wrong with that either. Not everything needs to be or even should be dripping with emotion.

This. :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

Music is subjective

GeoMantic

Reaction score
This is annoyingly ignorant; it's just that attitude that metalheads have towards the blues where they think it's simple and just get completely the wrong idea. Yeah, plenty of bluesmen slate shred for lacking 'emotion' but I assure you the blues is a lot more complex than you think. There are plenty of shit blues players out there, but there's guys like the aforementioned SRV who are just mind blowing, I'd take him over any shredder any day of the week because more often than not it's a million times more tasteful. And really, a big bend is more of a cause to make a face than sweeping like crazy...

Also since when are most 12 year olds into blues?

I'm gonna add that the band in those vids are abysmal. Who could possibly want to listen to that? I genuinely can't imagine how someone can listen and go "hmm, this is great! I'm going to listen to this on the bus!" It's not even subjective really, this stuff is just straight up turd.

I didn't say I liked this over the top tech-death stuff. I really don't. I find it impressive, but certainly not interesting.

Absolutely nowhere in my post did I say that I disliked blues. I didn't even say that I disliked Pentatonic scales. I stated that this technical style of music was as boring to me as the people that abuse the "emotion/feeling" styles.

I adore SRV, Clapton, Eric Johnson, BB King, etc. but I am also very shred influenced. I'm a big fan of Steve Vai, Jeff Loomis, Jason Becker, etc.

Nothing is wrong with playing slow, or fast respectively, but there is absolutely something wrong with purposely avoiding either spectrum of technicality for the sake of "emotion" or not.

It's disgusting when people make assumptions on musical tastes just because they are quick to defend their viewpoint, with little regard to a statements actual meaning.

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAAH this is some funny reading...

@Drak: There are still plenty of bands out there doing the kind of Metal you're looking for. Find them, listen to them. If you find something you dislike, don't listen to it. Just like the Howard Stern bullshit that was going on...if you don't like what's on the tv/radio/computer screen or whatever it may be, change it!! You come off as a douche (no offense, if that's possible at this point) when you just bash dudes who are clearly bad mother fuckers on their chosen instruments. I'm beyond positive that all of those guys (in the band in the OP) could sit down and play just about any song you asked of them. They just so happen to enjoy pushing the limits of what they can make their guitars do.

Bottom line: Bit your quitchin and move on.

BenInKY

Banned
Reaction score

Good point. I'm sick of growl scream voice. That's why everybody says death metal gives them a headache and only 1 out of 100 people listen to it. That awful voice ruins the amazing instrumentation.

But in this case, these guys put a lot of effort in to sounding like inaccessible shit. I would not listen to that for fun.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score

I LOVE YOU.

HAVE MY BABIES :bowdown: :wub: