WTF is this sh*t?

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
That's BS. Maybe growlers just aren't talented enough to control the pitches, but it has pitch.
I agree partially. You definitely can control the relative pitches of screams both high and low (black metal and death metal styles). And im sure if enough practice was put into having a smooth transition between the two you could conceivably have a decent range of actual notes while doing this type of vocals. But I don't the the fact that no-one does it has anything to do with skill or talent so much as either no-one really ever considering it, not caring to learn it or not knowing how to go about learning it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I agree partially. You definitely can control the relative pitches of screams both high and low (black metal and death metal styles). And im sure if enough practice was put into having a smooth transition between the two you could conceivably have a decent range of actual notes while doing this type of vocals. But I don't the the fact that no-one does it has anything to do with skill or talent so much as either no-one really ever considering it, not caring to learn it or not knowing how to go about learning it.

if i may i'd like to suggest that perhaps ppl have tried it and found that what's currently being done is sufficient for their individual applications.

you'll notice while some growlers tend to use the monotone bark, others have smoother growls and Randy from LoG has been known to make very smooth low to high growl transitions w/ a crescendo (on many songs)

i don't think the tonality of a growl is as conducive to scales and arpeggios as a "normal" singing voice or a guitar/bass/keyboard/whatever...

what's more, growls are generally used in songs of a more intense nature. likewise growls/screams can vary in intensity. perhaps that's all that's meant to be conveyed.

just as everyone in here seems to have a point to make so do the ppl who made the music in the first place. :lol:

:shrug:

troyguitar

Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether the growlers have the talent and choose not to use it, or just can't do it. Either way, it's not there and it kills this music for me.

It's like having Kurt Cobain as the lead guitarist for this band. Yeah he plays with distortion (i.e. growls) but his technical ability does not fit with the rest of the band.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether the growlers have the talent and choose not to use it, or just can't do it. Either way, it's not there and it kills this music for me.

It's like having Kurt Cobain as the lead guitarist for this band. Yeah he plays with distortion (i.e. growls) but his technical ability does not fit with the rest of the band.

Will you shut up if I pretend to agree with you?

davemeistro

Reaction score

0:45-1:00

Sort of what you guys are talking about. Not the best example but growling in defined pitches is definitely possible, but too bad this is the only example I could think of...

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
if i may i'd like to suggest that perhaps ppl have tried it and found that what's currently being done is sufficient for their individual applications.

I felt that fell under "not caring to learn it", I probably should have expanded on what I meant though.

ozzcows

Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand:

Why is it cool to be so awesomely technical on guitar, bass, drums, keys but the only cool thing to do on vox is go UGHGGHGHH RAAAAAAWWW GRRR UUUHHHH?

Learn to fucking sing asshole, you're dragging your whole band down.

If you're going to play guitar like a 21st century cyborg, why have a caveman vocalist? It doesn't fit the music at all in theory or in practice.
Damn right, garbage one note caveman utterances are annoying when done constantly.

troyguitar

Reaction score
WTF? I presented a completely logical argument regarding why this particular growler does not fit in this particular band.

Where are you getting the expansion from 1 growler in 1 band to the entire vocal style, aside from the (semi-? still not certain on that one)sarcastic one line jab about talent?

Perhaps I should not have added the fact that I don't like any growling in the first place, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the talent.

The whole band in the OP seems to be going for doing extremely technical and new cool stuff, yet the vocalist is doing the same old monotone growl we've heard a million times before.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
WTF? I presented a completely logical argument regarding why this particular growler does not fit in this particular band.

Where are you getting the expansion from 1 growler in 1 band to the entire vocal style, aside from the (semi-? still not certain on that one)sarcastic one line jab about talent?

First off, I misread one of your posts, disregard that.

Perhaps I should not have added the fact that I don't like any growling in the first place, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the talent.

Simply stating that and being done with it would have saved this discussion/argument a few posts.

Antimatter

Reaction score

Growling isn't distorted singing. It isn't singing at all. That's not a correct comparison.

BenInKY

Banned
Reaction score
SomeoneIsWrong.jpg

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
listen to this worm

Stagnant in this existence,
I quest to free my mind.
No longer captive
This freedom my desire.
My quest never ending
With flames I light my path.
Yet death impending,
Shadows me on my way.

So the quest consumes me
As poison in my blood.
Pulling my body downward
Soon sleeping death shall come.
And how the light it tempts me,
I hear the trumpets call.
Tasting the lips of angels,
My soul is ripped apart.

Lost, awake, yet dreaming.
Asleep, yet conscious still,
My soul extracted.
I stumble through the dark.
I have no vision,
Yet I see everything.
The essence coursing
Ascension killing me.

Burn, the angels venom raging through my veins.
Violent hallucination venom draining me.
The trumpets ringing the light begins to fade
Into a new existence I am thrown again.

Burning in distress and my body reeling,
Traumatic visions form
My mind erases
Memories I'll never know.

Listen to the screams of the souls in mourning
Dissolving entity.
Shown the ways of horror
Writhing ecstasy.

Burn the angels venom raging through my veins.
Violent hallucination, venom draining me.
The trumpets ringing the light begins to fade,
Into a new existence I am thrown again.

Hear the voices of the dying crying out to me.
I hear the message clearly, voice of infinity
Their words caress me and tell me of my end.
Into the door of passage will I know flesh again?

So the quest consumes me as poison in my blood,
Pulling my body downward, sleeping death will come.
Now the light it tempts me, I hear the trumpets call;
Tasting the lips of angels my soul is ripped apart.

Reaction score
Since I've been gone this has gone from the "music" from the OP to a debate on whether or not DM vox are singing? What in the hell is going on? There's a lot of butthurt and offshoot wars going on (as well as a few baiting posts I refuse to respond to)..dear sweet Satan. Sorry for the webwar....well not really sorry as I didn't intend it but still..sheesh. Let's all just hold hands..and have some Napalm Death.

Antimatter

Reaction score
Since I've been gone this has gone from the "music" from the OP to a debate on whether or not DM vox are singing? What in the hell is going on? There's a lot of butthurt and offshoot wars going on..dear sweet Satan. Sorry for the webwar....well not really sorry as I didn't intend it but still..sheesh. Let's all just hold hands..and have some Napalm Death.

Never, we must fight!:scream:

Or we could stop:wub:

Defsan

Reaction score
You made a thread specifically to bash that band?
Cool story bro

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
there was some shit that Steven Wilson said that was like "music has gone to both extremes, complete chaos and noise to elegant and refined, true masters do both"

something like that, all things are best in moderation, this stuff reminds me off the endless tapping madness of the 80's that led to tapping being a joke in the mainstream, now these kids will do the same thing with sweeping. I don't really consider these people good musicians, just good guitar players, and there is a very big difference.

Latest posts