5150 Iconic - New Budget 5150 from EVH Gear

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Problem is people are shitting on the Iconic without realizing the other 5153 models are now like 1500$. That's a 50% price difference.
Well, that and it’s not trying to budget in the tone department. It’s 2 channels, not 3, the gate only works on one channel, there are a couple of SS components, etc. People seem to equate a $1000 amp as a “budget” amp that kept the cost down by changing the components that make for a good tone. It seems pretty evident that it sounds good, just different. The guys on the forums more geared toward rock seem to love the way it captures that early VH tone, for instance. But it can still keep up with down tuning and modern metal. For me, the only question on budget affecting tone is the cab. I have to hear that to see how it sounds. But on those videos of Kyle and Fluff a/b ing the 5150 heads, I hardly think it sounds inferior. Just a little different. But perhaps different in a way that was unexpected.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DEUCE SLUICE

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone cares, but I was curious about the specifics regarding the built-in gate on the Iconic and James Brown was answering questions in Ola's youtube comments, so...

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 5.48.01 PM.png

Interesting!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, that and it’s not trying to budget in the tone department. It’s 2 channels, not 3, the gate only works on one channel, there are a couple of SS components, etc. People seem to equate a $1000 amp as a “budget” amp that kept the cost down by changing the components that make for a good tone. It seems pretty evident that it sounds good, just different. The guys on the forums more geared toward rock seem to love the way it captures that early VH tone, for instance. But it can still keep up with down tuning and modern metal. For me, the only question on budget affecting tone is the cab. I have to hear that to see how it sounds. But on those videos of Kyle and Fluff a/b ing the 5150 heads, I hardly think it sounds inferior. Just a little different. But perhaps different in a way that was unexpected.

People are so nitpicky about amps when getting the right speaker for them is much more important. Seeing all these Ola videos swaping stock speakers with Greenbacks is gassing me so hard.

Please Celestion, release a 50-60W Neo Greenback so I can throw dollars at you. We, people that actually gig, want lightweight speakers at a 212-friendly wattage.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
That's definitely one of the worst-sounding demos Ola has put out, but he says several times that it sounds great. So maybe the "in the room" sound is better than we're hearing from the recording.

I suspect it's the cab, rather than the amp, which sounds bad.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That's definitely one of the worst-sounding demos Ola has put out, but he says several times that it sounds great. So maybe the "in the room" sound is better than we're hearing from the recording.

I suspect it's the cab, rather than the amp, which sounds bad.
It will be interesting to hear more demos of the cab, for sure. It sounds like everything James has done is good, but obviously there's only so much you can tweak with a cab to keep the cost down. Based on what I've heard on these videos, none of the cost cutting on the head has been to any component that would directly affect the tone of the amp. It seems to mostly be features. But with the cab, you've only got speakers and wood to play around with, so there's only so much you can do. But, we literally have one video with the cab so far, so it remains to be seen. (I'm only counting the Ola one, because we really don't know that we can trust that other one. That seems like they really didn't know how to dial in a good tone.)

The other thing is that if this amp is going back toward the "iconic" VH tones, then it's not going to sound like the the 5154, as people have said. I like that it's tight, but I'm personally hoping for something that is a bit different from what I have (the Fryette) so I can have something a bit more saturated and thick. Not too sloppy, like a recto, because I want to play 8 and 9 strings through it, but something that gives me another option in what to sound like. The most difficult thing for me is to decide if it's this, or the 5153, or something else entirely. But I really want it to be this, since It's so much cheaper than the other options. If this doesn't work I may just go for a MT15.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I actually went back to the combo demo and it sounded better. :lol: But for that demo he used an SM57 and the 4x12 he used a Neumann TLM102.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
God dammit, @Deadpool_25, I just ordered a used ivory 5150 III 50W with concentric pots on GC.com. One month ago I was perfectly fine with my life, and then James releases the Iconic, you make this thread, and I watch 8 million youtube videos. So now I'm gonna do my own shoot out at home, and see if I like the Iconic or 5153 better. I got the 5153 in excellent condition for $899 from GC, with $40 shipping. So, worst case scenario I'm out $40. I blame all you fuckers for this. :lol:

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
God dammit, @Deadpool_25, I just ordered a used ivory 5150 III 50W with concentric pots on GC.com. One month ago I was perfectly fine with my life, and then James releases the Iconic, you make this thread, and I watch 8 million youtube videos. So now I'm gonna do my own shoot out at home, and see if I like the Iconic or 5153 better. I got the 5153 in excellent condition for $899 from GC, with $40 shipping. So, worst case scenario I'm out $40. I blame all you fuckers for this. :lol:

Welcome to my world. :)

And congrats!

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Ok. I made it 90 pages into this thread, without knowing who Torres is. Enjoying reading great posts, especially those from James Brown himself.

Watched the video of Torres at GC. Big mistake. What an unbearable cunt.

Am I the only one waiting for a Google search for “Louis Torres” to have this thread at the top and then for him to see that (has to Google himself regularly right??) and then register to tell us how stupid we all are?

Oh what a glorious day it will be.

Werecow

Reaction score
Am I the only one waiting for a Google search for “Louis Torres” to have this thread at the top and then for him to see that (has to Google himself regularly right??) and then register to tell us how stupid we all are?

He'd be more likely to make a clickbait video about the "shitty forum" he found that's insulting him.

I wish there was a way to watch some of his videos just out of morbid curiousity, without inflating his views/clicks. I refuse to go to his channel in any way.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score

He'd get relentlessly wrecked before getting banned.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
People are so nitpicky about amps when getting the right speaker for them is much more important. Seeing all these Ola videos swaping stock speakers with Greenbacks is gassing me so hard.

Please Celestion, release a 50-60W Neo Greenback so I can throw dollars at you. We, people that actually gig, want lightweight speakers at a 212-friendly wattage.

You mean like this?

https://celestion.com/product/neo-creamback/

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Let us know how those 100w 5153 amps compare when you eventually get those too!

(ask me how I know that’s what happens)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
270169518_4887569088001660_2251695016216084292_n.jpg

bUt iT wOnT cUt tHrOuGh lIvE

...Looks like they're good enough for Fit For An Autopsy. :lol:

Gmork

Reaction score
That ola vid was pretty fuced lol. I almost want to think he accidentally nudged the room mic clip ever so slightly off time in his DAW and didn't notice and also forgot to mute the room mic during the playing bits (i know he includes room mic a bit throughout his vids here and there but sounds like it was on the entire time