Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

Reaction score
Damn dude, hope to not have you on my jury.
Off with his head!!

Nah.. They wouldn't put a loony like me on a jury. Plus I'm not american.

Btw guilty of something doesn't always mean something incredible insidious... You can be guilty of being stupid...negligent...and so forth. My point was he must have done something wrong for it to have gone the way it did.. But I digress since it's not important and I've said all I have to on the matter.

For what it's worth, I'm guilty of being fucking awesome. The sentence? Beer & pretzels and bad movies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Thumb-over technique high up the neck on an 8 string? =) It's already a crippled and unhealthy enough technique on a narrow 6 string neck, makes me cringe. Players need to break their bad habits.
I know right? I was talking to a luthier about Rick Toone’s trapezoidal profile and he immediately started trashing it saying “well gee whiz when i cup my hand like this *does thumb over neck technique* that doesn’t look like a trapezoid does it?”

Was bummed to see someone who makes guitars expect others to play with that technique. I guess a lot of people do though

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It's not a bad habit at all. It's just not a great strategy for playing prog metal on a thin-necked, wide-necked guitar. People trashing on thumb-over are talking like it's objectively bad -- and maybe for certain goals and certain instruments it is -- but I don't think it's surprising if a luthier who doesn't have those musical goals -> doesn't play that way -> doesn't build that type of instrument. Grab a nocaster or a 58 LP, and play something that's all bends in frets 3-12, and see which style is more ergonomic for you.

Reaction score
Tosin is now working with Grover Fucking Jackson

I'm interested to know why the current batch of guitars in Japan was finished by an unnamed builder in Japan rather than Grover Jackson. I haven't heard/seen anything about the Grover Jackson relationship since the only mention of it back in November.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
It's not a bad habit at all. It's just not a great strategy for playing prog metal on a thin-necked, wide-necked guitar. People trashing on thumb-over are talking like it's objectively bad -- and maybe for certain goals and certain instruments it is -- but I don't think it's surprising if a luthier who doesn't have those musical goals -> doesn't play that way -> doesn't build that type of instrument. Grab a nocaster or a 58 LP, and play something that's all bends in frets 3-12, and see which style is more ergonomic for you.

Thumb over tends to work better for anything involving bends or certain vibrato styles. It shouldn't be a decision between the two but rather learning to use whatever works best for one in any given situation.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I'm interested to know why the current batch of guitars in Japan was finished by an unnamed builder in Japan rather than Grover Jackson. I haven't heard/seen anything about the Grover Jackson relationship since the only mention of it back in November.
There may have been an amount of time where between the guitars being seized and the connection with Grover Jackson, where guitars that were meant for Japan could have been sent to Japan and finished there quicker.

narad

Reaction score
Thumb over tends to work better for anything involving bends or certain vibrato styles. It shouldn't be a decision between the two but rather learning to use whatever works best for one in any given situation.

Yea, but you hit the youtube comments sections these days and it's tons of 15 year old metal kids, "Thumb over! Thumb over! Novice! MEDIOCRE!!", etc. when it's like...Cliffs of Dover or something. I've watched vids of EJ playing that -- thumb over all the time when it makes sense. Calling people out on it's just become signaling of some kind.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the party, but I was going to add that embezzlement from your own company happens all the time. It's basically buying personal stuff with company funds. In other words, buying personal things with pretax dollars. It's usually an IRS issue, since the owner and embezzler are the same person, so the owner is hardly going to turn in the embezzler. So, in this instance, if Frank were audited, he'd have to provide receipts for all of the purchases made through the company. If the total of the receipts didn't match the total for the income or capital of the business, then the IRS starts asking for back taxes with penalties and interest and stuff. That's my understanding of it, anyway. The IRS is really on it with this stuff, because literally no one else would know, because you'd never turn yourself in. People try to rationalize personal purchases as business purchases all the time, but the IRS has specific rules about what qualifies and what doesn't. Anyway, I have a friend who is a CPA and we've talked about what small business clients sometimes do with respect to mixing personal and business stuff like that.

SubzeroJake

Reaction score
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/faq/742.shtml

Suspended or forfeited business entities cannot:

• Legally transact business.
  • Bring an action or defend itself in court.
  • Receive an automatic extension of time to file.
  • File a claim for refund.
  • File or maintain an appeal before the Office of Tax Appeals.
  • Begin or continue a protest.
  • Legally close or dissolve the business.
  • Maintain the right to use their name.
    • California Secretary of State denies our revivor requests if the entity name is no longer available.
  • Retain tax-exempt status.
    • We revoke an organization’s tax-exempt status as of the suspension date.
Suspended or forfeited business entities are subject to a $2000 penalty per tax year for failure to file missing tax returns within 60 days after receiving a written demand to do so.

Shareholders that allow a business entity to suspend instead of legally dissolving it may, under certain circumstances, become personally liable for taxes it owes.

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
Tosin is now working with Grover Fucking Jackson, and Frank is bringing new and exciting guitars to NAMM 19'.

Sorry, I waited all day to post this:

"Tosin and Grover are doing WHAT to Jackson???"

For the record, I know who Grover Jackson is, I just needed to vent my inner mid-schooler.

xzacx

Reaction score

You mean other than yesterday in this very post?

Luckily I don’t need to walk into Grover Jackson shop and attempt to refine his processes.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Nope. Sticking up for my friend Jason. I know Frank, I've met Tosin once, and there's 3 sides to every story. Regardless, there's no point to airing this stuff in public.

I was joking, given the dude seemed to think everyone grilling frank was an Abasi follower or some shit. :lol:

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score

Yeah, my thumb usually is behind the neck in the classical position. But for a big bend or a really emphatic vibrato, it sneaks over the top.

I use to play with it wrapped over the top all the time, but I started developing a lot of wrist pain. Moving my thumb to the back of the neck fixed the wrist pain, and eventually I unconsciously developed a habit of having it creep over for certain things and then naturally fall back to behind the neck. That seems to be the best of both worlds, though full disclosure: I'm a real no-talent hack, so I probably shouldn't be giving anyone technique advice.

narad

Reaction score
Even IF they played perfectly, the fit and finish from a ton of photos showed issues unacceptable on a $500 guitar (which usually play just fine, too), and definitely not on a “semi-custom” instrument costing thousands of dollars.

I don't know - do you have photos of these issues on the guitars Frank finished? I remember the "buffing compound" photos from way back, and that was the last I saw, and I saw these guitars in person with my own eyes inches away from them. At least in terms of the neck pocket / alignment / finish transitions around that part, there wasn't anything wrong with them. I didn't hold it in my hands (because the one guy at that shop is pretty ornery), but I gave 3 of them a good look over.

Also, I think that line of what is unacceptable on $X guitar is funny. Semi-custom instruments costing thousands of dollars routinely have fit and finish issues. So you can use a strong word like "unacceptable", but in reality speak, it kind of is acceptable -- because small stuff happens all the time. But unless you post a photo I can't be sure of what exactly you're referring to.