Abasi Concepts/Larada Megathread

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I've never played one but why is the hype so insane? I don't see anything that would get me to buy one. If I wanted MIK with fluences, multiscale, and SS frets I'd just get a schecter. It has zero draw and 4k for something that probably cost the manufacturer 40% of that in the factory is insane.
I don't know if you remember back to 2010 when no one cared about a company called Strandberg and then a guy named Tosin got one. What happened after that will shock you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
^And to think, Tosin the guy became Tosin the famous player without one. So maybe no one needs to spend a fortune to buy the guitar he touched last to follow in his footsteps.
Tosin is probably the closest thing we currently have to a Jimi/EVH type in the guitar world, and people will buy anything that has a Jimi/EVH sticker on it. Nobody needs to buy any guitars, but they want the guitars of their idols.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Tosin is probably the closest thing we currently have to a Jimi/EVH type in the guitar world, and people will buy anything that has a Jimi/EVH sticker on it. Nobody needs to buy any guitars, but they want the guitars of their idols.

I find that having idols just leads to disappointment and let down. You should play for yourself and learn as you not you trying to be like someone else.

I find that people have this weird outlook on things. Oh if I get this guitar created by EVH I’ll be better. The gear doesn’t make the musician. The passion for the music does. If you think you’re good and others say you suck, who cares. Life is too short to our doubt behind what you love so much.

I remember seeing videos on Instagram when these popped up of people doing thumping and all these things that Tosin does.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I find that having idols just leads to disappointment and let down. You should play for yourself and learn as you not you trying to be like someone else.

I find that people have this weird outlook on things. Oh if I get this guitar created by EVH I’ll be better. The gear doesn’t make the musician. The passion for the music does. If you think you’re good and others say you suck, who cares. Life is too short to our doubt behind what you love so much.

I remember seeing videos on Instagram when these popped up of people doing thumping and all these things that Tosin does.
Eh, I think it's incredibly elitist to be mad at people for connecting deeply with music. Creating music isn't any more valid than playing the music you love. And telling people not to enjoy something is the worst of all.

NCeuRign

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really want one because they both look good IMO and also look really playable. I had a beautiful EVH that I sold a while back. Part of me wanted to keep it but the Floyd annoyed me, and more so all the square hard edges made it really uncomfortable. After playing you'd end up with red marks everywhere where it dug in. I've got a PRS Tremonti on my lap right now that I'm considering selling. Again, it's beautiful but it weighs a ton and there are a couple of other really minor things that annoy me a tiny bit. I've got a JPXI that's really nice to play. I feel there would be analogies to an Abasi there - ergonomics and so on. That's why I want to try the Abasi.

Reactions: CW7

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Eh, I think it's incredibly elitist to be mad at people for connecting deeply with music. Creating music isn't any more valid than playing the music you love. And telling people not to enjoy something is the worst of all.

See that is the issue with internet communication. I am not mad nor am I being elitist. I am just voicing my opinion that no one ultimately cares about.

People can do what they want. If they listen to me, god help them.

CW7

Reaction score
CW7: *hides in bushes outside of Tosins bathroom window refreshing his reverb feed for Laradas to pop up*
Almost.

I am the first person to admit these are “overpriced” as far as what you get for what you paid. (I am not speaking in terms of the market and what it will beat ; only in physical build quality).

BUT... they do bring something unique to the table, and that’s why I have a 7 and 2 8s right now. Between the Anderson’s, Strandbergs, Toones, etc..., the Larada have their own vibe. I am NOT a fan of redundancy in my arsenal, so if they were more of the same, I’d have long bailed. But imo they aren’t, and they inspire me to play and compose in a different way , and that’s what matters to me. Now that I have 3 I’ll leave Tosin alone.

TheInvisibleHand

Reaction score
Almost.

I am the first person to admit these are “overpriced” as far as what you get for what you paid. (I am not speaking in terms of the market and what it will beat ; only in physical build quality).

BUT... they do bring something unique to the table, and that’s why I have a 7 and 2 8s right now. Between the Anderson’s, Strandbergs, Toones, etc..., the Larada have their own vibe. I am NOT a fan of redundancy in my arsenal, so if they were more of the same, I’d have long bailed. But imo they aren’t, and they inspire me to play and compose in a different way , and that’s what matters to me. Now that I have 3 I’ll leave Tosin alone.

One of these days you should post your quiver. I've always wondered which guitars connoisseurs such as yourself count as keepers.

Trinity Prescott

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I read about 100 pages of this thread in the last few days. I’m just wasting my life at this point. lulz. Man. I came here hyped on Abasi now I def don’t want one; lol. Looking for a modern 8 string; the 2228m is starting to look/feel dated. The laradas look so sick. I will say the legion models look like crap for the money. I might just get a damn strandberg.

Trinity Prescott

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
While I’m talking trash.. anyone know what string gauges tosin uses now days? All I can find is info from his Ibanez era. Tired of my low strings feeling like bass strings. Also dude.... am I the only one that thinks the LACS laradas are the raddest looking ones??

Last edited:

I play music

Reaction score
i really hope abasi concepts gets off the ground. im assuming the trouble they've had is just hiccups a lot of companies go through. bleh.
Don't forget the guy is only a guitarist. He is not a luthier and he does not have a degree in business administration or anything.
Ola Englund who also started his own guitar company at least has worked as an accountant, guess that helps him avoid some errors.

Trinity Prescott

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't forget the guy is only a guitarist. He is not a luthier and he does not have a degree in business administration or anything.
Ola Englund who also started his own guitar company at least has worked as an accountant, guess that helps him avoid some errors.
very true well i am in his corner hoping to see big things happen for em all

Trinity Prescott

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tosin is still playing 74s with stupid low action, dude has a super light touch.
im literally researching string sets for eight string 27" scales right now. i hate it because i play more clean chill shit ... no djent or metal for me. so i am sort of an outlier in the extended range string discussion. ibanez 2228 came stock with 9-65 but that sounds silly since i spent the last 2 days online reading about 10-80 sets and 9-42 with 72-74 on the low end. bleh..

Trinity Prescott

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree that he came off as a bit cocky in the interviews I've seen. But judging from NGDs here on this site, the Frank Falbo builds are better than Abasi guitars. At the moment, I'd stay away from both.

I don't agree about the 2228m being too dated but if you want something else maybe look at the Aristides headless and wait for NAMM time (January) where companies announce new stuff. Between Ibanez, ESP, Schecter etc. there might be one or the other interesting new model.
yea i am not pressing it being " dated " i just have seen so much evolution with the 8 string since 2228 was the top dog. i think the lacs larada looked better than the abasi and the frank. the frank larada looks hella wonky to me.