"Anyone happy with their setup and not constantly gear flipping?"

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Great Satan

Hell-o
Reaction score
Honestly, what helps me is I have "tweak days".

Some days when I mess with my guitar equipment, my sole purpose is to tweak. Have fun. Make weird noises. I will connect my laptop and just sit and mess with settings while screwing around on the guitar.

Other days are "play days". I wont connect my computer. I wont focus on the sound. I turn on the gear and just play. I refuse to sit and mess with settings.

I also do a version of this, i find it kinda helps to have a semi-portable setup;
The room i 'tweak' in is where i have the pod hd connected up for recording and use the computer interface to tweak patches (so much easier than knob fiddlin'), but then i also have two huge speakers set up in my bedroom just for monitoring and general music-playing.
When i feel like i just want to avoid tweaking, i'll take the pod and gear i use with it into that room and just jam away for hours (though i might make notes about specific patches, such as 'too boomy' or 'needs more bass' that i might correct later in the tweaking process).

I guess its just a good idea to get into the habit of separating those two disciplines; tweaking (which is kind of like mixing, when you think about it) and jamming, which is more conducive to song-writing and technique development than knob-fiddlin' is.

Also i'd just like to add that apart from the odd guitar purchase, my setup is pretty static right now. I have a setup that i really like and the basis of that sound is just the humble lowly pod hd (but i use it in a weird way with some outboard tricks to help with its' inherent short-comings, i won't go into much detail here but if anyone is interested or needs help tweaking their pod hd/x then send me a pm).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Honestly, what helps me is I have "tweak days".

Some days when I mess with my guitar equipment, my sole purpose is to tweak. Have fun. Make weird noises. I will connect my laptop and just sit and mess with settings while screwing around on the guitar.

Other days are "play days". I wont connect my computer. I wont focus on the sound. I turn on the gear and just play. I refuse to sit and mess with settings.

actually, sometimes I do this too. I'll feel bored and decide to try out other amps I've never tried before, or flip through cabs, or adjust random parameters to see what they do.

The Q

The Engineer
Reaction score
Count me in. Very happy with what I have now, especially since I tend to like a cheap washburn more, over my other more expensive guitars.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^Kinda weird when that happens, huh?

I've been playing my cheap ass Jackson JS32 King V far more than my PRS SE Custom 24 7 or my RG2228. But I go through phases. They all get played I think, I just focus a LOT on certain ones for a while.

WtfIsDjent

Reaction score
It's weird, I always have those GAS moments and end up with some new stuff but I'm so reluctant to let anything go. So I'm not so much a flipper as a hoarder. Luckily my girlfriend understands...last time I went 6 months without mentioning a new guitar she was shocked. Long story short, I had a new guitar within 2 weeks. :shred:

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
I'm not a flipper, and I believe you can't get better than "great".

Got a "great" heavy rock tone? "Great" molten metal tone? "Great" playing guitar? "Great" picks? "Great" bass strings? No excuses, and no need to change. The rest is up to the piece of meat attached to the back of the guitar.

I need at least two guitars and two amps, for variety, but I wouldn't upgrade unless it's serving a need.

robare99

Reaction score
Yep. I've had the same rig since 1988.

1984 100W JCM800
1908's marshall 212 cabinet
1988 BOSS ME5

The only thing that's changed over the years is the guitar. Even then my main one was an Ibanez rg550 I got in 1988. It was my main squeeze until 8 years ago when I bought an older Ibanez Jem. I have close to 40 guitars but I haven't sold any yet.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am currently pretty satisfied with the gear I have. Which isn't to say there isn't other stuff I would like to have around but that of the stuff I have there is nothing I am in a hurry to sell. I also have a pretty insane collection of gear right now :lol:

I'd still love to bring home a Friedman Butterslax and Mesa JP-2C when they come out...

StrmRidr

Hide your Jacksons
Reaction score
I have no plans to change amps in the near future. I pretty much found exactly what I was looking for in the Mark V and I have not had GAS for a new amp ever since I bought it. The only thing I really want to add to my rig now is a Voodoo Lab GCX and ground control. I'm tired of tap dancing.

protest

Reaction score
I don't flip to flip, I flip to find what I like.

I went through about 18 months of amp flipping until I end up with my Colossus. I don't really have GAS for any other amps. I would eventually like something complimentary like a Lonestar, but I'm in no hurry to get one.

For guitars I'm still in the flipping mode, but I'm almost done. I have one more guitar I'm looking to get, likely either a USA Jackson or a J Custom. Then I should be good until a used Tom Anderson Angel pops up with specs that I like.

I'll move on to pedals after that, some low-mid gain OD pedals and trippy effects, and I'll be good. With pedals I think I'm just going to try stuff/watch videos and stick to what I buy. There's so many pedals out there, and flipping would be never ending.

Well I kind of stuck to this. I ditched the idea of getting another guitar, and decided to just wait and get an Anderson when I can. I also picked up a Wampler Euphoria, and an EQD Afterneath and Sea Machine. I think I also want to grab a fuzz and a Digitiech Super Natural.

As far as amps... after over a year with my Colossus I realized there really is no amp, no matter how many channels, that does everything I want it to do. Like I said before I'm in no hurry, but I want grab another Mesa Mark, {possibly a quad) and a VHT Pittbull. Of the 10 amps I went through while flipping they were my clear favorites along with the Colossus. It's complete overkill, but I don't care. I'm overly responsible in every other facet of my life :lol:

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Yes, I am very content with my HD500X and my Arturia V Collection.
I don't tour anymore, but when I do occassionally play live, the POD handles it.
16+ years ago, I was using a 20 space crammed full of ADA and Digitech gear along with 2 each 4x12 cabs, and the POD is far more powerful processing wise. I get all I need in the "in ears" and my hearing remains intact.

My GAS moments are with regard to more guitars, different tunings, and for subtle things like studio organization, ie; good desk, room treatment, guitar hangers, etc...

Sonically, my needs are covered and I couldn't be happier with Pro Tools 12, it's worked flawlessly for me.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
I am never content but I have learned that no matter how many more gears I buy, if I don't use them to their full capacity, then there is no point for me other than a temporary joyful moment for a day or two. This is me after 14 guitars and 5 amps and countless pedals.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Not flipping constantly like I was. Going on a year with the AxeII and still digging it. Got some solid guitars, only doing up a partscaster because I can. Not really playing much, busy with work, but not flipping.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I'd say that 90% of my rig will be staying "as is" for a while. The main reason being that I can't afford what would be the 'next tier'(ie Line 6 Helix or Axe Fx). That and since I have 3 guitars & 3 basses, more instruments aren't really necessary, so that pretty much leaves the odd pedal here & there just to kind of switch things up once in a while.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Still rocking the GSP. Except ive kind of went in reverse lol. Instead of adding gear, im just down to running a line6 G90 and the GSP. In the next few weeks I'll be ordering an alto for stage monitoring as well as just random party jammin, along with a new, smaller rack case lol. About the only thing Ive consistently changed in the last 6 months are speaker IR's, that count? :lol:

lewis

Reaction score
Im pretty terrible tbh.

I have a all in 1 rack setup going direct to PA.

Power Conditioner,Korg Pitchblack pro, Pod HD pro, Torpedo CAB, Keeley Compressor, Maxon OD808.

Tone is very very decent.

However I just ordered a Custom VFE Focus to put infront of the Pod. Compressor>Maxon>VFE Focus

Im still eyeing up the Kemper too. I would probably buy one just for recording and home jamming. Im constantly fiddling with my patches and tones.

I must tweek 40% of the time and play 60% of the time lol

funny reading this back after this time. I now do infact own a Kemper and it is, like I planned, a home practice and recording all in one solution. And an amazing one at that. The Engl Powerball profiles Im using at the mo are stunning. :metal:

I do plan however to get the ENGL E530 preamp to pair with my Pod HD Pro for practices and Live.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Love my Triamp MKII + JP6 + WM526. Sounds amazing live. I might sell the triamp soon, but that is only because I plan on gigging less/play home more.

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
Im increasingly happy with my set up. No longer flipping, however i still need to flip a guitar or two to get a guitar or two and finish off my secondary pedalboard.

Then i can start on my bass rig, then my studio. Im on a intense 3/4 year plan to have everything id ever want/need for the styles i play, I'm about half way there now.

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
I am currently pretty satisfied with the gear I have. Which isn't to say there isn't other stuff I would like to have around but that of the stuff I have there is nothing I am in a hurry to sell. I also have a pretty insane collection of gear right now :lol:

I'd still love to bring home a Friedman Butterslax and Mesa JP-2C when they come out...

I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need the JP-2C, but that's not going so well. The more I see about it, the more I feel the need to have one in my life.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
I'm happy with my amp (kemper, so I can have nearly any amp I want :lol:)

Guitars are still a struggle...