Custom 7 string fretless Benavente build pics!

• Thread starter ApteraBassist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
It looks like Zerg creep. It looks amazing. Really highlights it and makes it look like it has veins running through it.

I'd need to see a side by side but for now, I'd say go for it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
It looks like Zerg creep. It looks amazing. Really highlights it and makes it look like it has veins running through it.

I'd need to see a side by side but for now, I'd say go for it.

Totally!

my only concern is that the freboard is a bit yellow... I guess black and yellow together is better than maple and yellow. but i think once theres black lines on the fretboard it will all match together. Cant wait!

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
UPDATE!

ok so here's the good news... the fretboard has been slotted
P5280134.jpg

And the head stock scarf joints are being glued
P5280135.jpg

Aaaand the bad news... The wood I bought wasn't as dried as they said it was. its been going back and forth between really hot and humid and really cold here in oregon, so my woods kinda warped..
P5280132.jpg

They're going to wet them down and try and straighten them out. Here's an example of what they were trying to do. these are some slices of my material that werent kept flat because they were too thin.

P5280131.jpg

Hopefully they can flatten them otherwise I may have to go looking for some wood again...

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
That almost literally looks like the stuff that's all over the walls in Dead Space.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
I guess you can say that's curly maple burl.... Yeeeeah

What a shame though. I mean, you can iron that out, but Imo, you should go with some properly dried wood for resonance's sake.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
Wow just came across this thread/GORGEOUS build.

Anyone else see this?

DSC_4793.jpg

Cynic_-_Traced_in_air.jpg

I guess you can say that's curly maple burl.... Yeeeeah

HAHA! What's funny is based on the pics before i bought it i expected it to look like Focus.

[QUOTE/]What a shame though. I mean, you can iron that out, but Imo, you should go with some properly dried wood for resonance's sake.[/QUOTE]

Its only the top wood. The whole center of the bass will be mahogany

Munch

Luthier
Reaction score
That almost literally looks like the stuff that's all over the walls in Dead Space.
Dude! I have been casually thinking about making a Dead Space themed guitar with bunches of that weird writing inlaid into it and, I don't know, blood oozing out of it or something. I'd probably have to hire an awesome painter for that.

ApteraBassist

Reaction score
Finally a new update! My top woods have been sitting under 500lbs of cinder blocks to straighten them out for the last month. He's goign to start building the body today. Here's the headstock
headstock.jpg