Custom SS guitar amp build!

mgcasella

Reaction score
I found someone locally (a guy named Tom) who will build a ss guitar amp for me and I am psyched :hbang:

Last week I met with Tom and we ironed out all the details of the amp. Upon meeting, he realized that my design was a little more complicated than he thought (I wasn't able to communicate all that I wanted clearly via email because I'm not an electronics engineer). In a few days, Tom should be getting back to me and, hopefully, we'll be ordering the parts pretty soon.

Tom said this whole project should take about one month so I'll keep everyone updated on the progress :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
Wow that is awesome. I have never heard of anybody getting a custom solid state amp before. Cant wait to see the progress.

snuif09

Reaction score
thats cool man =)

next year i will be starting my electronics course cause i want to build custom amps as well (tubes and ss) its kind of a small market but seeing your amp almost makes all your tone i dont get why you shouldn't have one custom build and get a guitar custom instead.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Always dreamed of doing this myself but don't have the knowhow or money :lol:

Good luck, keep us updated

mgcasella

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! :hbang:

I sent an email to Tom today so, hopefully, we'll be meeting soon to discuss progress, the final design, etc.

I will keep everyone updated :metal:

mgcasella

Reaction score

Good question :lol:

Here are the features so far:
-The design is based off a few common favorite ss amps that are specifically good for METAL (such as the Ampeg VH-140C [LOOSELY, that is]) plus the addition of extra controls and features (such as a "Depth/Resonance knob)
-100 watts
-----I was skeptical about just having 100 watts but Tom assured me he knew what he was doing and that this could compete with all the other instruments in a metal band.
-----He also said if I wasn't completely satisfied then we would tweak it until I was or I didn't have to pay him :metal:
-Two inputs: High gain and Low gain
-Two channels: Clean, and Distorted (plus a Boost switch for the second channel for soloing, getting even more gain if you are doing straight up grindcore/noise, etc).
-Volume for each channel
-Two output jacks with a choice of 4, 8, or 16 ohms
-Direct line out
-Footswitch jack
-Effects loop (with level controls)
-Reverb (because everyone knows you sometimes just need a little bit)
-Master volume

My goal is to make a high quality amp that is specifically for METAL \m/ (and that includes all sub-genres).

If anyone can think of any other "must-have" features then please let me know! This is still in the design stage so there is time to include them.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
this sounds like its gonna be awesome

groph

Reaction score
Contour knob? I always liked those. Not for a "mid shift" IE 100% total mid-suck, but just to help out with fine-tuning the midrange. Or maybe do what the ENGL E530 does and have separate low mid and high mid knobs.

Awesome choice on having the VH140 as a rough basis.

Sippin40oz

Reaction score
Sounds like a very interesting project good luck dude! I dont know about everyone else but i would question the 100 watts though? Sounds a bit low to me! When you look at most high end-ish amps with ss power section they tend to be a lot louder then that to avoid distortion (bad kind!)

groph

Reaction score
Sounds like a very interesting project good luck dude! I dont know about everyone else but i would question the 100 watts though? Sounds a bit low to me! When you look at most high end-ish amps with ss power section they tend to be a lot louder then that to avoid distortion (bad kind!)

Yeah. I'd be wanting at least 200.

shogunate

Reaction score
I'm going to school exactly for this (and taking an apprenticeship with my local mod shop cuz toobs are a dead technology) so WOOT :hbang:

I'd want some kind of frequency dependent gain boost like VHTs edge switch so the high end can get extra saturated and smooth while the lower registers would be drier and clearer but you could probably get that done internally to be a prevailing tonal structure. Any other bells and whistles or specific voicing you're going for with this thing or what?

Caveman

Caveman
Reaction score
this is exactly what im doing too. hahahahha taking electronics course to custom build my amp so i don't have to fuck with my damn randalls day in and day out

mgcasella

Reaction score
Contour knob? I always liked those. Not for a "mid shift" IE 100% total mid-suck, but just to help out with fine-tuning the midrange. Or maybe do what the ENGL E530 does and have separate low mid and high mid knobs.

Awesome choice on having the VH140 as a rough basis.

Thanks man! :hbang:

BTW - I'm glad you mentioned it because I forgot to put it in my original post. I have tried the Randall T2 and I :wub: how there is a high-mid knob, as well as a low-mid knob. It's even been helpful and awesome on my MT-2 before it was modded - now it's just plain awesome :metal: Anyway, getting to the point, I asked for each channel to have a high-mid and low-mid knob :shred:

mgcasella

Reaction score

I know and that's what I explained to Tom. He told me the way amp manufacturers calculate their output wattage can be misleading - I could have asked him to explain more but I bet it would have been over my head. I assumed he meant that my Crate Shockwave (which is 350 watts into 4 ohms) was not 350 watts RMS, or something like that. He did assure me that if it was not loud enough then we would tweak it to my liking. Maybe we'll do 200 just for the hell of it :shred:

mgcasella

Reaction score
I'm going to school exactly for this (and taking an apprenticeship with my local mod shop cuz toobs are a dead technology) so WOOT :hbang:

I'd want some kind of frequency dependent gain boost like VHTs edge switch so the high end can get extra saturated and smooth while the lower registers would be drier and clearer but you could probably get that done internally to be a prevailing tonal structure. Any other bells and whistles or specific voicing you're going for with this thing or what?

I am glad you brought this up because I normally don't mess with switches that do that sort of stuff. Something like an edge switch of this manner might be pretty cool and I will run it by him.

I have no other specific bells and whistles planned - although I do think the cup-holder is a sweet idea :lol:

If there are any other cool ideas then keep'em coming! :shred:

Caveman

Caveman
Reaction score
maybe since its ss and they usually dont need the entire head cabinet space. you could get a drawer or opening door on it for picks and cables.

or maybe get a small built in speaker for those small practice jams when you dont wanna use a full cab. something like the zvex nano amp just larger.

ZVEX AMPS

ive seen a few amps with output switches. to have regular 300 watt (or w.e your wattage is) or like 1/3 output power.