EMG Pickups, Accessories, Wiring, Info and Help thread - post it here!!!

• Thread starter Acatalepsy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djeff

Reaction score
Hi everybody, i guess this is the right place to ask that, i've done tons of research but nothing seems to fit with my problem,I have 2 Emg808 that i want to put on an ibanez rga8, i don't have the quick plug thing, because someone gave them to me.
If some of you know, that guitar has a serial 3 position switch, a volume, and a shitty eqalizer.
I bought the right switch,volume, and tone (instead of the eq) but now i don't really know, what to solder and where..
The diagrams on emg's official pdf only shows the "plug and play" way.
If anyone have a clear picture or diagram of the thing, that´d make my day!!
Merci d'avance!!

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
Just an FYI for all you guys. I got an email from James at EMG that the soapbar 7 string 57/66 should hopefully be arriving by mid October.

Mechanized

Reaction score
If one, were to install 808's into an RG8. Just how 'solderless' will the whole process be?

also, will the replacement jack fit?

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score
I recently got an Intrepid 828 pro with an 808 in the bridge. I want to do the 18v mod to it, as I understand it this should improve the "oomph" of the B & F#, will I need to mess with anything else like pots when I do it, or will I be ok to leave them?

Thyber

Reaction score
I have an ESP LTD (well, Grassroots) Forest bass-guitar model, with 5 pots/active EQ and ESP 4-SB pups if I recall correctly.

I was thinking of switching them out with EMG 35DC active pick ups.

As they come with 2 volume / tone pots (and jack and batteryclip) each... I'd have 4 out of 5 pot-holes filled. So I was thinking about adding e.g. the EMG EXB Expander to it to fill the holes and give it an active EQ "boost" kind-off feel.

Will it be hard to "wire" the quick connects ? I am deviating from an original schematic...

Basicly I want to have both pups-signals as my output, but with the seperate vol.& tone controls. I want the output signal to be controlled with the EXB.

Can I easily wire this to 18v?

astm

Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking to build a single humbucker 7 string guitar and use the neck of my ibanez RG1527 on it. Will an 81-7 or a 707 work okay in a poplar body?

Reaction score
Hey fellow 7 stringers,
I have a minor conflict. For the last 4 years or so I have strictly played 707's in my 7 strings. Recently I've been reading reviews of the 57/66 sets (for both 6s and 7s) and I'm debating it. Now I haven't had a chance to play a guitar with the 57/66 installed, so I'm gonna try and find one at a shop and mess around on it a bit before I make my ultimate decision. But you guys got any feedback? It would be greatly appreciated.

thefyn

Reaction score
I ordered some used parts to put together an EMG metal/shred type of guitar:

1: EMG PA2 on guitar preamp switch which boosts the output.
2: EMG 60 (I presume quick connect)

And I want to use both using the 18 volt mod. I have good quality stereo output jack. What will I need in the way of harnesses? Does anyone know of a wiring diagram for this with one vol knob? The guitar has one pickup.

JoshhMoynihan

Reaction score
Hey fellow 7 stringers,
I have a minor conflict. For the last 4 years or so I have strictly played 707's in my 7 strings. Recently I've been reading reviews of the 57/66 sets (for both 6s and 7s) and I'm debating it. Now I haven't had a chance to play a guitar with the 57/66 installed, so I'm gonna try and find one at a shop and mess around on it a bit before I make my ultimate decision. But you guys got any feedback? It would be greatly appreciated.

I'm kind of the same, just with a 81/7 and I'm intrigued by the 57/66 sets. Some feedback would be lovely. Anyone... Please....

antonkotmusic

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

Anyone here have any experience putting EMGs into an Ibanez S Series? I've heard it's really difficult, but not impossible...

I'm looking to install a 57-7 and 66-7 into my S7521, 3-way switch, 1 volume, 1 tone. Looking at the space in the cavity, I'm guessing it will need some extra routing to fit everything in, or lose the tone knob? Losing the tone knob will not be a problem for me at all, just looking at different options...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Anton

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
MnkCPHx.jpg

This is the wiring for the EMGs in my LTD MH-400NT. Is it just me or is something missing?

Edit: For the record, I mean the preamp. This is my first rodeo with swapping EMGs and have always heard about a preamp. Mine doesn't have the little "buss" thing that came with my 57. Is that what they're talking about (according to the paper that came with it, I'm guessing no). The pickups themselves are quick connect, while everything else is hard-wired. Can I just plug my 57 up and go? My guitar had dual 81s and was made in 2004, btw.

frahmans

Reaction score
This is the wiring for the EMGs in my LTD MH-400NT. Is it just me or is something missing?

Edit: For the record, I mean the preamp. This is my first rodeo with swapping EMGs and have always heard about a preamp. Mine doesn't have the little "buss" thing that came with my 57. Is that what they're talking about (according to the paper that came with it, I'm guessing no). The pickups themselves are quick connect, while everything else is hard-wired. Can I just plug my 57 up and go? My guitar had dual 81s and was made in 2004, btw.

The emg preamp is built into the pickup housing. The pickup buss is for a central point to manage the signal flow and power in one central device.

For your pic, it looks like they hardwired everything cause quickconnect only came into being in 2010. Have you checked the pickup? Does it have the quickconnect socket onnthe underneath of the pickup?

frahmans

Reaction score
Copied from NGD for those who need more info - used on an 8 strong walnut guitar.

The RPC helps to tame the boomy-ness and clears the mud of the neck pickups and bridge pickup esp at gain. Again, it is a treble boost and bass cut so that's how it helps to clear things up.

The EXG is really not something you should use at gain because it can get muddy due to the bass boost and mid cut it imparts. Don't use it when playing gain-y stuff. If your guitar is not bright, it's mud city. It made my sound muddy when I was playing with the neck pickup on an 5153 model in BIAS and my blackstar with cranked gain. But, for cleans, it's perfect.. It can accentuate the lows and highs, while letting the guitar sing. Just perfect for clean passages.

The AB2 is like having a built in gain boost. Activating it is like stepping on an EHS soul food - it makes it loud. I love it on clean and mid gain tones. At high gain tones, not so much at the moment - could be my amp model on bias is over saturated with gain.

frahmans

Reaction score
HNGD dude. I actually really like the guitar after I turned my head around ;) I love the neck joint.

I'd love to hear clips of the difference between the RPC at 0 vs 10 in high gain, along with the EXG for your clean stuff.

Hi Yeti here are quick tracks recorded into GarageBand on my iPad. The order in each track:
1. Strum no rpc and exg on 0
2. Rpc on 10 and eXG on 0
3. EXG on 10 and rpc on 0

Done quickly but hope this helps . Recorded with jamup Jeff loomis clean amp with everything at noon

Neck and bridge
https://soundcloud.com/frahmans/neck-and-bridge

Bridge
https://soundcloud.com/frahmans/bridge

Neck
https://soundcloud.com/frahmans/neck

Here's a noodle on the bridge using jamup and marrow 5153 model with everything at noon.

1. Single note example on 7th and 8th string - RPC comes in after the pause in the middle
https://soundcloud.com/frahmans/rpc-gain

2. Chord examples - RPC comes in after the pause in the middle
https://soundcloud.com/frahmans/rpc-gain-2

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
ugh, I just spent a ton of money on a new set of 57/66 in brushed gold (6 string) and I'm not exactly enjoying it unfortunately. For metal/gain, it is probably the best 6 string tone I've ever had, but it really isn't working for cleans for me. Since what I play is 80% clean, especially on this guitar, the set may have to go but that means losing out on significant cash. Serves me right for going new! damn allure of brushed gold..

I also seem to have some grounding issues, the typical when I touch the knobs on the front, I get feedback. The inside of the cavity is all shielded already, is that a no-no for EMG's?? Cause touching the shielding also induces that feedback.

Looking like I'm gonna attempt to find a set of gold BKP's in the future for this guitar, its unfortunate.

Mott Power

Reaction score
Having issues with a 707 I installed this past week and haven't been able to pin-point the problem. I have looked all over forums but there is no clear solution so any help would be appreciated. I am doing a single neck solderless setup with a volume and tone but after everything is hooked up it has a very low output (low volume, low to no gain). Volume and tone knobs seem to work fine and I am getting voltage to the pickup (8.25V) and to the stereo jack (9.1V) from the battery when tested with a multimeter (battery is new) so the buss seems to be functioning fine and the output jack seems grounded.

It just sounds like the pickup is rejecting the battery and taking it out provides no difference in sound. My thoughts are a faulty pickup (manufactured 09/2006); I purchased the kit on eBay as an open box item but brand new, only missing the foam and screws which I purchased separately. All connections have been dozen-checked, arrows facing up (especially on pickup), etc. Raising and lowering the pickup provides essentially no difference. Deleted the tone knob, only volume, and still no difference. I'll try to grab pictures later but it really is exactly as instructed by EMG and the exact same I've seen on other guitars which leads me to believe a faulty component.

Is there any way of testing the pickup or volume for a fault? This is my first experience with active pickups but now I'm thinking maybe this music store on eBay gave me a crap product. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Edit: Upon looking at some photos of the current solderless system they sell, the battery connection appears to be a different one than I received. Maybe it's a faulty battery holder from an older design? It looks to be the exact same connection that they sell at Radioshack...

UPDATE: ended up being just what I suspected - faulty ground on the battery terminal. The wiring looks good on the solderless female connector for the output jack so it must have been a bad assembly job for the negative on the connector for the battery, underneath the plastic snap cover.

slythy

Reaction score
9jj1if.jpg

is this what i want to use for my 57/66 set? i have 1 volume and 1 tone

also 57 is bridge correct? sorry first time swapping out pickups.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
is this what i want to use for my 57/66 set? i have 1 volume and 1 tone

also 57 is bridge correct? sorry first time swapping out pickups.

That should do it for you and the 57 is the bridge pickup in the set.