Game of Thrones

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Remember me? Yeah you do. You’re even fucking uglier than I am now. What’d they do to you? Doesn’t matter. It’s not how it ends for you brother. You know who’s coming for you. You’ve always known.

Ok, I thought he had said something about "you know he's coming for you," but I misheard it the first time through.

lewis

Reaction score
Tbh the Incest thing between Dany and Jon is not really that big a deal WITHIN THE SHOW, and actually vitally important. She is the only one bar jon left that has that blood/ability to speak to dragons. Now with Jon they can have less creepy (but still creepy) children ala Cersei and keep that dragon bloodline going. I really hope the revelation does not tear them apart now. We have waited for years for this relationship and now we have it im glad. They are well suited, they are both bad ass and would be an amazing King/Queen combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Does this mean Jon will ride a dragon?
Is Jon going to stop being Jon and start going by Aegon?
If Jon makes a claim for the throne at some point, Sansa would move to be leader of House Stark, as Lady Paramount of the North, but since Bran showed up, and the North is a place of male primogeniture, would there be a problem? Bran doesn't seem interested in ruling...
Extra-Spoiler-y Question:
If Jon is Azor Ahai, and the legend/prophesy is that he will forge the weapon to defeat the Night's King and temper it in the heart of his true love, I think this has to lead to some serious drama between the Night's King and Jon and Danerys before some even more serious drama. I don't know how it's all going to work out, but there is no chance for a happy ending in all of this. I had guessed that Jon was going to give Longclaw back to the Mormonts, but Jorah refused. Still, Jon needs a weapon that can defeat the Night's King, which he currently does not have.
I guess we will have to wait ~2 years to find out. Probably by then, people will be divided into two groups, those who lost interest and those who are freaking out.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
My biggest question:
To whom was the Hound referring, when he was teasing the Mountain? Who would be intimidating to the Mountain?!

Some great acting from Peter Dinklage and Lena Headley.
yeah, he's had a hard on for killing the mountain ever since gregor shoved his face into the fire. #CLEGANEBOWL2018

mongey

Reaction score
got to admit as a big fan of this whole series, I was a bit underwhelmed. maybe I expected more movement towards the war .maybe I expected too much

have to watch it again

RustInPeace

Reaction score
I think next season we will have:

1. Jon fulfill the prophecy of Azor Ahai. He will need to create a weapon to defeat the NK, which will be done by sacrificing Danerys.
2. Bran trying to stop the NK by warging into the past the same way he did to Hodor, only to become the NK (popular theory)
3. CLEAGANEBOWL
4. Jamie slays Cersei as her actions become more and more selfish and reckless
5. Less boobs, more gore

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I think next season we will have:

1. Jon fulfill the prophecy of Azor Ahai. He will need to create a weapon to defeat the NK, which will be done by sacrificing Danerys.
2. Bran trying to stop the NK by warging into the past the same way he did to Hodor, only to become the NK (popular theory)
3. CLEAGANEBOWL
4. Jamie slays Cersei as her actions become more and more selfish and reckless
5. Less boobs, more gore
1. Agreed.
2. Don't think so. Bran will be a key player, though.
3. YES!
4. Probably, unless if Cersei has Jamie killed first.
5. Sums up the entire progression of the series so far. :lol:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Does this mean Jon will ride a dragon?
Is Jon going to stop being Jon and start going by Aegon?
If Jon makes a claim for the throne at some point, Sansa would move to be leader of House Stark, as Lady Paramount of the North, but since Bran showed up, and the North is a place of male primogeniture, would there be a problem? Bran doesn't seem interested in ruling...
Extra-Spoiler-y Question:
If Jon is Azor Ahai, and the legend/prophesy is that he will forge the weapon to defeat the Night's King and temper it in the heart of his true love, I think this has to lead to some serious drama between the Night's King and Jon and Danerys before some even more serious drama. I don't know how it's all going to work out, but there is no chance for a happy ending in all of this. I had guessed that Jon was going to give Longclaw back to the Mormonts, but Jorah refused. Still, Jon needs a weapon that can defeat the Night's King, which he currently does not have.
I guess we will have to wait ~2 years to find out. Probably by then, people will be divided into two groups, those who lost interest and those who are freaking out.

Bunch to unpack here.

bostjan, to your spoiler-within-spoiler:
Technically, he does. He has a valeryian steel blade, as well as a mountain of dragonglass. The problem is GETTING to the Knight's King, if he's on dragon back, which requires either a dragon (vulnerable to ice javelin attack), or somehow getting him OFF the dragon

Meanwhile, to my Jon theory:
On one hand, I have to eat crow here for a bit, since the show FINALLY explicitly confirmed that Bran, at least, believes Jon is a Targaryen. I'll say two things in my defense:

1) the producers at least agknowledged their narrative problem in the HBO behind the scenes thing that airs after the episode on HBO Now: "How do we make a reveal interesting when it's something most of our viewers already know?" They eventually opted to make it interesting with cut scenes. I would have opted to not do such a shitty job writing it in the first place. :lol:

1) a) Bran is almost spectacularly bad at being the Three Eyed Raven. :lol: Bran: "Jon's real name is Aegon Sand" Sam: "Actually, Rhaegar annulled his marriage and remarried Lyanna, I read it in a scroll I copied." Bran: "Why, so he did."

2) The fact that Jon's name is Aegon Targaryen poses some questions of its own. Rhaegar already had a son named Aegon, Dany's younger brother, who was killed at the foot of the Iron Throne in the sacking of King's Landing. Rhaegar naming Lyanna the queen of whatever at the joust, going home and knocking up Elia who then gave birth to Aegon V, then a year later "kidnapping" Lyanna, knocking her up with Aegon VI, then leaving two Kingsguard and going back to his no-longer-wife Elia, and spending a year with her without telling her he'd annulled the marraige, before eventually dying in Robert's Rebellion would make him a grade-A douchebag. :lol:

Warning: book spoilers
Except, in the books, Aegon isn't dead. Jorah finds him overseas, as a surprisingly educated youth named "young Griff," traveling with an older adventurer clearly from westeros named Griff, and dying his hair blue in memory of his deceased mother, with bluish-purplish eyes. Jorah travels with him, gets suspicious, and sure enough Griff is Jon Cunningham, close friend of Rhaegar's who's living in exile, and the youth is Aegon, whom Varys swapped for a common born baby shortly before the sack of King's Landing and smuggled overseas to keep alive - the baby at the foot of the iron throne was so mutilated that it was unrecognizable, and the Mountain wasn't exactly an intellectual heavyweight. Where the books leave off, Aegon has stopped dying his hair which has returned to a Targaryen silver, and has returned to Westeros at the head of the Golden Company - yes, the same sellswords that have mostly been off screen that Cersei's big plan at the end of season 7 is to hire - and has retaken Storm's Landing.

At this point, I'm more inclined to attribute this to sloppy writing - combining Jon and Aegon from the books, reusing a band of mercenaries they didn't need rather than inventing a new one, etc - than any GRRM-written master plan to surprise his audience - and that the ending of the books, if we ever get that far, is just going to be radically different from that in the show. But, it's kind of messy.

Other than that...
The Sansa/Arya thing was cheating. It only works because they reconcile/get secret info from Bran offscreen after fighting onscreen (the actor who plays Bran even confirmed they shot a scene that was intended to go after Litttlefinger's "whenever I try to figure out someone's motivations, I start by assuming the worst and seeing how well that explaisn their actions" speech, where Sansa knocks on his door and tells him she needs advice) and only manages to be a surprise because the writers intentionally kept the viewers in the dark about Sansa and Arya learning that Littlefinger had asked Lysa to poison her husband, starting the events of the story, and then pushed her out the Moon Door. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching Littlefinger die as much as the next guy, but from a writing standpoint, they didn't earn that one.

tl;dr - this show has probably jumped the shark. GRRM may die before he ever finishes the series so we may never know how it's supposed to end, so for now I'm just settling for an enjoyable TV viewing experience, without the same level of intellectual engagement of the books or even the show pre-running-out-of-source-material (like, remember when Jon's parentage was a mystery, but there were enough hints in the books to work out some plausible theories? Those days are LONG gone. :lol:)

wankerness

Reaction score
I can't wait until the day when I don't have to click multiple times to read every post!!!

Though, we'll probably have about a year and a half soon where no one posts. Damn special effects making the ending take forever. I didn't like World War Z AT ALL, but maybe they should take a cue from that film and just stop having any special effects or action sequences for their whole climax so we can get it sooner :D They can dispatch the Night King in one episode, and then the last six episodes can just be people trying to hash everything out at a meeting like this last episode!

wankerness

Reaction score
The main things interesting there from a plot standpoint are seeing that Tormund is alive (HOORAY) and seeing Jamie fighting with the NOT-Cersei people. Everyone's trying to figure out who the dudes on the boat are (Golden Company? Faceless Men?) but that's obviously kept unknowable. I just plain can't remember where some characters were left last season, like The Hound, but good to see him anyway.

Grey Worm is dead if they did a dramatic closeup of him kissing Missandei!!

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I can't wait until the day when I don't have to click multiple times to read every post!!!

Though, we'll probably have about a year and a half soon where no one posts. Damn special effects making the ending take forever. I didn't like World War Z AT ALL, but maybe they should take a cue from that film and just stop having any special effects or action sequences for their whole climax so we can get it sooner :D They can dispatch the Night King in one episode, and then the last six episodes can just be people trying to hash everything out at a meeting like this last episode!

Pretty good prediction, 18 months or so.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The main things interesting there from a plot standpoint are seeing that Tormund is alive (HOORAY) and seeing Jamie fighting with the NOT-Cersei people. Everyone's trying to figure out who the dudes on the boat are (Golden Company? Faceless Men?) but that's obviously kept unknowable. I just plain can't remember where some characters were left last season, like The Hound, but good to see him anyway.

Grey Worm is dead if they did a dramatic closeup of him kissing Missandei!!

Guarantee it's the Golden Company on their way over from Essos, and the theory is that the man leading them is Harry Strickland

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I cracked over Christmas and watched the last two seasons, figured this might be the only ending we are going to get to this story.

Looking forward to how they are going to wrap up everything. There are a lot of characters and plots still to tie up. The golden company arriving so late in the story is an odd choice when they are speeding towards the end.

wankerness

Reaction score
Looking forward to how they are going to wrap up everything. There are a lot of characters and plots still to tie up. The golden company arriving so late in the story is an odd choice when they are speeding towards the end.

It's easy to tie up characters and plots when the show has a precedent of unceremoniously bumping off characters with no regards for their plots being finished, just look at the big Cersei bombing. Now that they've upped the stakes much further, I could easily see them knocking off huge swathes of characters per episode. I won't be surprised if the Golden Company gets Dick Hallorann'd.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I reread the books in preparation of the final series of the show, and realized by the end since the books and the show basically go in two radically different directions by the time we get to the end of Season 7. :lol:

Random book differences:
Right off the bat, Aegon being alive.
Jorah getting run off, presumably for good, for lying to Dany about having spied on her for Varys at the end, though he heads back to her after capturing Tyrion as a peace offering. Seeing as she's still off in the Dothraki Sea alone when the book ends, no clue if Tyrion ever even makes it to her, though both Jorah and Tyrion are sold into slavery and Tyrion performs with the pig jouster for Dany, and Dany unknowingly saves his life when her husband mentions they've got a surprise planned when they're going to release hungry lions mid performance and she tells him not to.
Relatedly, Jorah NOT getting greyscale, and Jon Cunningham being the one with Greyscale, helping Aegon reclaim Westeros.
Lady Stoneheart being totally ommitted.
Breanne having half her face eaten off by the Biter, before getting captured, and nearly/partially hung by Lady Stoneheart
Sansa NOT getting married to Ramsay Bolton, but rather one of her maids, pretending to be Arya, being married to Ramsay
Not a major plot point, but Ramsay then-Snow being believed killed at the start, Theon finding "Reek" in the dungeons of Winterfell, and when he offers to go get help when Winterfell is beseiged by Stark bannermen, running off and coming back, showered and cleaned, at the head of a Bolton army, much to Theon's surprise, before Bolton knocks Theon out and takes over the show.
Wex, Theon's mute squire, being there to see it, and learning his letters, allowing Davos and various former Stark bannerman in Whitehaven to learn that much of what they "know" about the battle - the two Starks being killed, Theon putting the castle to the torch and slaughtering the people, is wrong, with potential major plot implications later on.
No "Night's King," just White Walkers. Probably not important to the plot, over and beyond the fact it gives you a single antagonist vs. a small number of bad guys.

Oh, there's probably tons more I'm forgetting here, but those are a number of reasons I'll be thoroughly confused now, when Season 8 starts back up. :lol:

EDIT - also, I'm glad this got bumped to reread this - I stand by my original assessment, that the show is kinda jumping the shark, and that the two big reveals I referred to at the end of last season are cheating. :lol:

Last edited: