Guitarmory Pickups - General Consensus and changes

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Since people here seem familiar with Elysian pickups....

I'm trying to pick out a new pickup for my guitar. It's gonna be in drop A, and be used for metal. Specifically archtype gojira with 2 overdrives engaged metal. Pickups I've used in the past are a fluence moden, emg 81, seymour duncan nazgul, dimarzio fusion edge (original for this guitar). I like the nazgul and emg 81, but don't wanna swap to actives. So my list of options are the nazgul, bare knuckle cold sweat (pricey), or an Elysian pickup (hellfire / sentinel / trident II). I personally prefer a more scooped tone, and am a little worried about the eq graphs of the Elysians with the comparatively high mids.

Any suggestions?
If you want somewhat scooped mids grab a dimebucker.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

X784

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna try the Jupiter. Then maybe next time the Dimebucker.

Xiphos804

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Jupiter's are great. I've had them in a few guitars before I made the switch to Lundgren

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Damn I feel bad recommending Guitarmory. It's been a few years and I'll count myself lucky but all the old models I got from them were pretty good. I've kept two, and was thinking of trying some of the newer sets (or rebranded names), but the descriptions are trash and there never are proper demos. Nail in the coffin here. Besides not delivering and stealing from employees, the overuse of "riding my veteran/military connection" is fucking cringe worthy. I'm a vet too and I don't know WTF that has to do with making gear. It should tell people you know how to manage a business and employees.... but we all can see that's not always the case.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Update: I finally received my refund from them. Only took an eternity, but I guess being an annoyance to someone paid off.
I reached out to Michael 22 days ago, because he hasn't paid me a dime since February. He made excuses to not talk for 2 days, but now is just straight up ignoring my messages. I'm starting to consider posting about this on main.

Xiphos804

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I reached out to Michael 22 days ago, because he hasn't paid me a dime since February. He made excuses to not talk for 2 days, but now is just straight up ignoring my messages. I'm starting to consider posting about this on main.
I would definitely do so.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
It really sucks that things with this company ended up the way they did. It puts a incredibly large stain on the reputation of all up and coming builders in this industry. What a shame.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
Frankly, after seeing how they did Equilibrium dirty around NAMM 2019, I don't know how that wasn't the end of it. Those of you who knew Dave Cohen (or even met the guy in passing) will know he was a hard guy to piss off. I never saw him that angry before or since.

For those who don't know this story...

- Dave needed two sets of pickups, one seven string open coil in white, one 6 string set covered.
- The 6 string set, Foxbats with the hammered covers, arrived with the covers so beat from the hammering that they didn't fit the cutouts in a pickguard that fit all other covered pickups, and also didn't work because the hammered covers had broken something in the pickup. He had to remove the covers, unbend them, fix the issues with the pickup itself, and resolder the covers to the baseplate.
- The 7 string set, I believe Minutemen, were not delivered until basically right before NAMM despite Dave and presumably Mariann hounding them for months. When they did finally show up, the bobbins were covered in scratches, like another pickup company's branding had been sanded off. The baseplates were also not brand new.

I have spoken with a former Guitarmory employee who said this was the reason they quit - they didn't want to be associated with a brand with that kind of slipshod business practices and slapdash manufacturing.

makecamera

Reaction score

Comment from Guitarmory claiming "That has been addressed and cleared up entirely." regarding a post about not paying their bills. Is this true @ElysianGuitars?

Loydthebartender

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just got a guitar that came stock with Nazgûl’s and I find them scooped as well. There’s a lot of low low mids like around 200-500mhz but a bit of a dip around 650-800mhz which is what I consider “mids”, might be the guitar but I would consider them “scooped”

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I just got a guitar that came stock with Nazgûl’s and I find them scooped as well. There’s a lot of low low mids like around 200-500mhz but a bit of a dip around 650-800mhz which is what I consider “mids”, might be the guitar but I would consider them “scooped”
Ok let’s see the frequency spectrum from your DAW, and what your test methodology and signal chain was when you saw this scoop at 650-800”mhz”

The Nazgûl is the single most aggressively middy pickup I have ever tried