Ibanez 2014 NAMM Thread

• Thread starter jvms
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Griffinator

Reaction score
I really wanna see the full line of S prestige guitars. I'm assuming they're all bolt on Nick? No set neck or neck through prestiges like they had coming out of Korea in the early 2000's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Those 2228s with Gibraltars look really sweet. And an RGD that came stock with Aftermaths would pretty much be a must-buy for me. I thought Schecter had my money for sure with that Avenger 8 but now I don't know!

As for 9-strings, they seem a bit silly to me but I've never played one so what do I know. I'd love to try one out at some point.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Update: My Ibanez rep came by to my store today and had an even newer version of the 2014 catalog which has some additional new models added. Theres a new MIJ model I saw in there that people are going to be super happy about. I'll comment more when inevitably someone else leaks it.

PS: I wish I was a moderator here so I could delete every single post referencing pickups. This thread is about Ibanez NAMM 2014 and not a thread to discuss pickups. I personally hate EMGs, everyone who knows me knows this, but its irrelevant because people can just put whatever pickups they want in these guitars. It's not as if the pickups are glued to the body permanently. Its irrelevant.

I could totally do that, but then I'd also have to delete all the posts from the dealer that's been hyping new stuff coming from a brand they sell throughout the entire thread and ban him, potentially for good :lol:

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I dont see why having official packs of 9-string strings is at all necessary. You can just order individual strings from just about any store out there. All you do is order a bass string and you're good to go. I know when I've owned 8s, I would rock a set of 9s and a 68 or 70 on the bottom. With the baritone scale that felt good to me. So I guess for a 9 you could just add on a bass .090 or something and you should be good to go. I like JustStrings.com

Personally though, to me 9-strings are absolutely ridiculous. I cant understand why anyone would want or need one. Nonetheless we have one of them on order, so we'll see. To me even 8-strings are just BARELY comfortable enough to play. I think 7-strings cover plenty of range for 99.9% of people out there, and I would rather just get a baritone 7 and tune it down to F# to enjoy the added comfort of a 7-string neck rather than play an 8. But then you add a 9-string, thats basically a 7-string bass neck width which is massive. I'm sure a few folks out there will find a use for it, I just cant imagine notes that low sounding good at all. To me "F" is about the cut-off where things just start to sound weird. Just my :2c:

US residents don't realize how much hard some stuff is.
Here in Italy is not normale to go in a shop and find 7 strings packs.
8 strings packs...no way.
If you go to a store, even the biggest in Roma, don't expect to find a Tam or an M8M to try, if you want it, you must order it.
Finding particular strings gauges for low strings is HARD.

About the surf table neck of a 8-9 strings.
I feel more comfy on the RG2228 neck than on the Schecter Demon 7's one

As we have been saying about pick ups it's a matter of hands and preferences.

I agree with the point that anything under the F1 is overkill, so again I'm totally for a high A, which seems impossible on a non fanned fretboard

celticelk

Reaction score
I agree with the point that anything under the F1 is overkill, so again I'm totally for a high A, which seems impossible on a non fanned fretboard

What do you think the potential size of the high-9-string market is? Maybe 10% of the size of the low-9-string market? There's no way that's a good development decision.

Marchpip

What?
Reaction score
Any acoustic news yet? I know they had the 7 string acoustic last year iirc

don't know if someone already posted this but..hell yea!!!:hbang:

DV016_Jpg_Large_1371656245528_A.jpg

Ibanez AEL207E 7-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar Trans Black Sunburst | Musician's Friend

Maybe this is something for the guys who were complaining about the RG shaped 7 strings :rolleyes:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
There's always the option of tuning up rather than down

Yeah tuning up would not work well with a 28" scale. It would be best to have a fanned fret for that.

Any acoustic news yet? I know they had the 7 string acoustic last year iirc

Lots of nice new acoustics actually.

I really wanna see the full line of S prestige guitars. I'm assuming they're all bolt on Nick? No set neck or neck through prestiges like they had coming out of Korea in the early 2000's?

They'll be bolt-ons yeah.

I could totally do that, but then I'd also have to delete all the posts from the dealer that's been hyping new stuff coming from a brand they sell throughout the entire thread and ban him, potentially for good :lol:

Haha, yeah I've never once asked to be a moderator nor would I want that job. You guys do a good job as is. If mods prefer I not share information about Ibanez stuff here, I am totally fine to stop. I just figured people would enjoy it, especially with some misinformation posted on here that I've been able to correct. It's not like I'm linking to my website or anything ;)

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe this is something for the guys who were complaining about the RG shaped 7 strings :rolleyes:

It might have been if it were actually new, but that acoustic has been out for several months. There have been at least 3 NGD threads for them.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Dunno about the top one, but I doubt the bottom one is. It has the old "new style" Gibraltar bridge with raised shoulders and channels in the rear end of the plate.

Deep Blue

Reaction score
I really wish they were reintroducing those, but I'm fairly certain they are just old models they still have in stock.

Marchpip

What?
Reaction score
It might have been if it were actually new, but that acoustic has been out for several months. There have been at least 3 NGD threads for them.

which again underlines differences in USA's and EU's portfolio.

wilch

Reaction score
Update: My Ibanez rep came by to my store today and had an even newer version of the 2014 catalog which has some additional new models added. Theres a new MIJ model I saw in there that people are going to be super happy about. I'll comment more when inevitably someone else leaks it.

You have piqued my interest!!

timbucktu123

Reaction score
top one is a RGA420z in predator's shadow. came out in 2012 as a replacement to the invisible shadow model.

the bottom one however... that's new.. and pretty darn sexy!
bottom one isnt new its an rga421 i believe they also made those in the gun metal gray finish and they were the most budget friendly rga .