Line 6 Helix Megathread - 2.80 update

• Thread starter demorior
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Looks like this thing might actually be able to replace my GSP1101. :eek:

I won't be first on board but I think it'll be a very safe bet that it'll be a lot cheaper than a Kemper or Axe-Fx. I'm curious to see what the opening lineup of amps will be. I was kind of disappointed with the selection when they first rolled out the HD500, so hopefully they'll get back to X3 levels with this one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I'm impressed from what I have seen... I wonder if this will replace my Archon :lol:

cakewalkgg

Reaction score
Just bought an axefx and love it...but I have to admit this thing is sexy.. its got all the buzzwords..

very anxious to hear the demos. More exited to play it and see how they got the play feel down. The axe2 is very good in this area.

mikah912

Reaction score
Every amp, aside from remastered versions of the 3 original amps in the HD lineup, is new. That's 42 new models.

Also, it's been confirmed to run up to four IRs simultaneously, depending on DSP available.

edsped

Reaction score
Interface wise, this thing kills. Customizable, digital labels for each switch. Custom LED colors for each switch. Great looking display with a bunch of knobs. Capacitive + multi-function switches. Hands free amp tweaking. I almost want one just for the user interface alone.

Can't wait to try one in person to see how it feels/sounds and just how intuitive everything actually is.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
I'm actually getting kinda fed up with the uber-high end modeler craze. For folks who are into that stuff its cool to have another option I guess. But honestly, if they just put out a -$400 POD that could load a few IRs, and that you don't need a frickin iPad to operate, they'd have my money and probably a lot more people's.

I always thought the whole charm of modelers was that for a few hundred you could get a ....load of good, useable sounds. But for the kind of dough Axe, Kemper, and now Helix go for, you could get a great amp that will last for years, or a medium-priced amp and a ton of pedals, and it'd be a better long term investment. There's something very Apple-ish and digi-snobby about a 1,500+ modeling rig that you know is going to be "obsolete" and not supported by Line 6 in ten years.

edsped

Reaction score
But for the kind of dough Axe, Kemper, and now Helix go for, you could get a great amp that will last for years, or a medium-priced amp and a ton of pedals, and it'd be a better long term investment.

I don't know about that. I wouldn't really consider either a good investment since there's gonna be heavy depreciation both ways. Beyond that, it comes down to personal needs and applications.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Here's to hoping it answers all the complaints people had about the HD-series.

I'll watch it closely after release, maybe even try one out at a Guitar Center. I'll not jump on board unless it beats out the modelling capabilities of a PC.

...I don't think that will happen.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
I don't know about that. I wouldn't really consider either a good investment since there's gonna be heavy depreciation both ways. Beyond that, it comes down to personal needs and applications.

Well, if 50 years from now every computer on Earth has some weird new data port that's incompatible with USB, or if the chips in the thing are no longer produced, you'd be out of luck with trying to get it upgraded or repaired. But you could still plug an amp into a socket and run it. Provided tubes are still around. And they will be, cause there's quite a lot of NOS tubes from the 50s still around today.

mikah912

Reaction score
Well, if 50 years from now every computer on Earth has some weird new data port that's incompatible with USB, or if the chips in the thing are no longer produced, you'd be out of luck with trying to get it upgraded or repaired. But you could still plug an amp into a socket and run it. Provided tubes are still around. And they will be, cause there's quite a lot of NOS tubes from the 50s still around today.

Doesn't this hold true for every consumer electronics device in the world? I assume you own a smartphone and HDTV

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
Doesn't this hold true for every consumer electronics device in the world? I assume you own a smartphone and HDTV

Yeah. But I don't flip them every time a new model comes out like Axe-fx fanboys:lol:

I mean, there are guitars and amps around from literally 60 years ago that people still play and gig with. These are pieces of tech that didn't use to go obsolete, but now a lot of the market is saturated with super high-priced stuff that won't have a quarter of the lifespan of a Fender Twin. That seems kinda silly to me.

cakewalkgg

Reaction score
It looks f'in badass DI.. No doubt this has the appearance of a monster processor. Im glad l6 is still interested in serious players.

Digital Igloo

Line 6
Reaction score
mod edit:
1) please place your affiliation with Line 6 in your account signature
2) if you would like to market your products register for a Vendor account and limit your posts to the Dealers section

mikah912

Reaction score
According to Line 6, the EQs are all in hz, not vague percentages. Also, they model the OCD and Klon Centaur drive out of the box. Up to 4 amps at once too.

mongey

Reaction score
Yeah. But I don't flip them every time a new model comes out like Axe-fx fanboys:lol:

I mean, there are guitars and amps around from literally 60 years ago that people still play and gig with. These are pieces of tech that didn't use to go obsolete, but now a lot of the market is saturated with super high-priced stuff that won't have a quarter of the lifespan of a Fender Twin. That seems kinda silly to me.

It's all an opinion dude. There are many musicians who thinks it's crazy to be stuck in what was the norm 60 years ago. That we should try to innovate.

The great thing is we have great tube amps and great modeling gear these days. People can choose their platform.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
The best thing about it is that local shops will more than likely carry them. As such, people will be able to try them out and not have to get on a month(s) long waiting list to buy one without the benefit of even trying it first.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Pretty optimistic about this for the following reasons:
1. It doesn't have the POD name - probably means a new direction in modeling/product in general aka this isn't going to be POD HD 2.0
2. It has been several years since a new, substantial product
3. Yamaha acquired Line 6 and probably pumped a lot of money into this thing, hence why this took many years to come out and the HD series has been relatively lackluster
4. It loads IRs - that was my biggest gripe when I had an HD500. The cabs sucked and the IRs I had on my computer sounded much better.
5. The design is pretty stunning and it looks like they put a lot of thought into everything.
6. SO MANY I/O OPTIONS.
7. Reamping over USB - the HD series suffered severely from not having reamping abilities.

Definitely going to check this out when it hits stores. I am in the market for this kind of thing anyway....really tired of using my iPad since I had to sell my Axe-FX last year.