JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Another eq trick is to use a parametric with a higher q like 65-75% and freq around 700-800 hz which is around 45%. Scoop that a bit and it wont suck the life out of your tone, but you still cant go too low or you will disappear in a mix.

I also recommend lowering all the cab deps quite a bit other than low cut. This can leave the tone bright and dry. I like to reduce the highs parameter on the parametric until it sounds natural.

Edit: also some mild reverb or delay or e.r. Can thicken the tone up

Tried this stuff out, made a little sound test. Going for something to use for Tool/Karnivool-like songs.

https://soundcloud.com/oceansbuiltonsinkingships/jonesing-tone-test

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeadWeight

New Age Bogan
Reaction score
Quick question guys, are you guys using the HD as an interface (USB straight into DAW)? I have an HD500 and, whenever I try to record with it I'm not getting sounds that I'm totally happy with, but have been putting it down to EMGs and not enough string tension haha.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
I also recommend lowering all the cab deps quite a bit other than low cut. This can leave the tone bright and dry. I like to reduce the highs parameter on the parametric until it sounds natural.

Edit: also some mild reverb or delay or e.r. Can thicken the tone up

The only patch I don't do this on is a dual F-ball patch with two xxl cabs (one with 57 on axis, one with 409). The resonance knob is a pretty good way to dial in the high mids with that particular combination.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
Quick question guys, are you guys using the HD as an interface (USB straight into DAW)? I have an HD500 and, whenever I try to record with it I'm not getting sounds that I'm totally happy with, but have been putting it down to EMGs and not enough string tension haha.

That's how I've always done it, and it's worked for me. Make sure that your device setting in your DAW is set to ASIO (HD500).

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Is there any "How do you get this tone?" thread? I'll ask here anyways since I have a POD HD, what is it that characterizes a tone like this? It sounds like a lot of gain and mids, but I don't know shit about the technical side of tones.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Is there any "How do you get this tone?" thread? I'll ask here anyways since I have a POD HD, what is it that characterizes a tone like this? It sounds like a lot of gain and mids, but I don't know shit about the technical side of tones.

DSO is fantastic, good on ya man \m/

Closest I've gotten to one of their tones is pre-eqing it to make it a bit bright (Around 2.1Khz normally) Scoop some of the mids, and boost low mids ever so slightly, make a cut around 80hz and use some relatively low gain on the F-ball coupled with a screamer and you're about there

meambobbo

Reaction score

Check your control panel an make it sure it doesnt have a boost. I think the usb driver may default to +18db or something crazy like that. Also, make sure youre not clipping the pod in the signal chain which is more apparent when recording. Check my guide in my sig for more info

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
finally sold the 400 and a few minutes later a dude called me and told me to come over to his house to see if I wanted to buy his 500 :lol:, the thing was practically new (plastics still on) so I couldn't be happier on this deal

still, I can't play until the next week, so probably I'll spam the shit out of this thread :lol:, Finally I can play and apply all the tips you guys post around here :)

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
finally sold the 400 and a few minutes later a dude called me and told me to come over to his house to see if I wanted to buy his 500 :lol:, the thing was practically new (plastics still on) so I couldn't be happier on this deal

still, I can't play until the next week, so probably I'll spam the shit out of this thread :lol:, Finally I can play and apply all the tips you guys post around here :)

just in time for me to have gotten peavey revalver lol

why would he want an hd400 if he already had a 500? im very confused....

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
just in time for me to have gotten peavey revalver lol

why would he want an hd400 if he already had a 500? im very confused....

holy shit spangrish in all it's glory, sorry, I was really unclear :lol:

I sold the POD 400 for....let's say 250 bucks, and a few days before that I left a classifieds add (in a local forum) with a WTB thread for a POD HD 500. So, just when I finished the deal for the 400, a dude called me saying that he was selling an HD 500 for 300 bucks and he was just 2 blocks from the metro station where I was

and, I won't be using it for recording my stuff, Im getting much better results with VST's, I want it for live use, maybe recording a few bands who have asked me to do them the favor and using it as an interface (no br00tz, so I guess I can get good results just with the POD and maybe some IR's)

BTW, how do you setup this for recording with stuff like the demo of the X50 that you posted above?, same deal that you (always :lol:) have told me? (turning down hardware monitoring and monitor from the DAW?), I was thinking that another route for this could be using a dual patch, one with an amp sim on to monitor myself real-time, and the other to track the dry signal and then work with it

kinda OT: I been hearing a fizzy freq. that is driving me a bit mad in EVERY patch, never noticed it before, bit I saw Ola's clip for the HD500X and heard it, then I started to hear it in every patch I had

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
holy shit spangrish in all it's glory, sorry, I was really unclear :lol:

I sold the POD 400 for....let's say 250 bucks, and a few days before that I left a classifieds add (in a local forum) with a WTB thread for a POD HD 500. So, just when I finished the deal for the 400, a dude called me saying that he was selling an HD 500 for 300 bucks and he was just 2 blocks from the metro station where I was

and, I won't be using it for recording my stuff, Im getting much better results with VST's, I want it for live use, maybe recording a few bands who have asked me to do them the favor and using it as an interface (no br00tz, so I guess I can get good results just with the POD and maybe some IR's)

BTW, how do you setup this for recording with stuff like the demo of the X50 that you posted above?, same deal that you (always :lol:) have told me? (turning down hardware monitoring and monitor from the DAW?), I was thinking that another route for this could be using a dual patch, one with an amp sim on to monitor myself real-time, and the other to track the dry signal and then work with it

kinda OT: I been hearing a fizzy freq. that is driving me a bit mad in EVERY patch, never noticed it before, bit I saw Ola's clip for the HD500X and heard it, then I started to hear it in every patch I had

Haha yes same as always. Turn down hardware monitoring. I used the screamer and a couple gates on the pod for that one. The vst 808 overdrive wasn't jiving with me. Revalvers is pretty good though.

Cowboyfromhell

Reaction score
Well i mainly want to record but as it seems pod hd is the best choice tone wise and im only halfaway of this thread/bible :lol: . I will get one until the end of this month i hope i wont change my mind till then :nono:!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Well i mainly want to record but as it seems pod hd is the best choice tone wise and im only halfaway of this thread/bible :lol: . I will get one until the end of this month i hope i wont change my mind till then :nono:!

Mainly or only? If you plan on ever playing away from your desk then you wouldn't want just an interface and vst's. you would need the HD in that case.

Cowboyfromhell

Reaction score
Indeed you are right . I hadn't thought that and the good thing about these is that you can connect them with a cab or even with an amp .