Metallica: 72 Seasons

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The tone on the title track sounds like a sped up version of Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out", so if that's the legendary Jose mod tone, hard fucking pass.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dooky

Reaction score
I look at it this way.
Metallica are never going to write an album like one of their first four. We're lucky that Metallica are still around, still touring and still putting on a great live show. James has said he enjoys writing new material and that just touring their old songs would be no fun for him. I agree that their recent stuff isn't packed full of great and memorable songs. But! If they have even one cool track, then that's enough for me (like Spit out the bone on Hardwired and the song 72 Seasons on this album). I'm just thankful that they are still here and enjoying life, and that makes me happy.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I'm liking this album more after each listen. Probably their best post black album release for me, strongest song ratio to most and not as bloated as say Hardwired or Load/Reload. Hetfield is just killing it here. Lux AEterna and Room of Mirrors just hits me the right way.

gnoll

Reaction score
I listened to a random song. It was ok! Some guitar harmony going on, song was pretty good!

I think if I could get along with the production I would listen to the whole album. But I absolutely cannot. The drums are ear torture and the guitar tone is pretty bad too.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Good for them! Glad they're still enjoying themselves. My two favorite Metallica albums are Ride the Lightning and St Anger, so I'm sure James is scrolling right now to find what I think of the album 🙂
That's an unusual combo of favorites. Like, total polar opposites unusual.

Not baggin' an ya at all, BTW. I got a lot of weird preferences too. Like Overkill's W.F.O. being one of the best post Gustafson albums. Or Anthrax's State of Euphoria being one of their best.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Not too bad of a song.....I don't mind their new stuff but definitely not excited about it.

drool1419

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's an unusual combo of favorites. Like, total polar opposites unusual.

Not baggin' an ya at all, BTW. I got a lot of weird preferences too. Like Overkill's W.F.O. being one of the best post Gustafson albums. Or Anthrax's State of Euphoria being one of their best.
I'm a complex individual adjusts monocle

Ride the Lightning was the only Metallica album I was allowed* to have growing up so it's got that nostalgia factor. And St Anger just gives me that same feeling of "We want to sound like shit because it's heavy" that I really enjoy from the early thrash albums

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Just listened to it.

Damn, that was a boring piece of shit :lol:

I'll always love them and their first 10 years or so as a band though. They still kick ass when playing live.

McDefLau

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tried to get through a few songs on Spotify, but it`s just to damn boring. The songs are (way) too long, riffs are ok, drums are not interesting, vocals are ok, solo`s are generic and sound lazy. I thought it would be at least somewhat better than Load, but it`s certainly not. Dissapointed...

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Kinda diminishing the extent of Jose Arredando's work by just calling him the "Van Halen amp guy" there Guitar World. :lol:
I know clickbait blahblahblah

Hahahha I said the same thing, especially since there’s really no documentation of Eddie actually using a Jose modded amp on any specific recording, just that he spent time with Jose in the 80’s. I think more than anything, Ed used Jose’s name to throw people off.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Hahahha I said the same thing, especially since there’s really no documentation of Eddie actually using a Jose modded amp on any specific recording, just that he spent time with Jose in the 80’s. I think more than anything, Ed used Jose’s name to throw people off.
It even says that in the article, but clickbait gonna clickbait.
Shit I think the only possible extent of a mod was a possible master volume mod done, but even then it's not 100% sure because Eddie gon Eddie.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I've found it to be pretty boring, sounds like a bunch of dudes trying to sound like Metallica.

AdamCook

Reaction score
It's about a 7/10 for me. I think there are some very inspired riffs and some pretty good hooks. But it's too diluted and they would benefit from a true producer.

It also lacks dynamics. There's very few clean parts, acoustic parts, harmonies or different textures. That's why it's a bit of a slog to listen to the whole thing and distinguish one track from the next.

sacguy71

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just came across this from Guitarworld interview with Metallica

As for how the SoloDallas unit fits into his wider rig, Hammett noted, “The tone on 72 Seasons is based on my live sound, which is a Fractal Axe-Fx modelled on a blend of my Fortin Meathead amp and my Dual Rectifier.

So that’s what Kirk used but James Hetfield also used modded Jose Marshall amp on the album

When we did Hardwired... [To Self Destruct in 2016] it wasn’t working very well. When we started this album, I had a re-invigorated interest in this head. I was talking with Dave Friedman, who is very familiar with those old José mods, and he fixed it.

neurosis

Reaction score
I listened to a random song. It was ok! Some guitar harmony going on, song was pretty good!

I think if I could get along with the production I would listen to the whole album. But I absolutely cannot. The drums are ear torture and the guitar tone is pretty bad too.
I actually dig this on the stereo and it sounds like the guys are on the other side of a large room with you in the Dolby version on apple pods.
The snare is very aggressive and at first this thing sounded pretty thin considering the mixes they have been going for for a while.

I need to get in the mood to really sit with this and give it a fair shot. First few listens I felt the album was disjointed. Many songs seem to have these drawn out intros and others linger too much in other places or get repetitive without leading to any remarkable resolution.

I have been going back to Shadow Follow and Sleepwalk My Life Away. The first is decent all way through. The second has that awesome start with the bass and then meanders.

I would say this album grooves less than Load and is less punchy than any other Metallica record. It also sounds thinner and is more slow for the most part (despite the faster singles). Something like You Must Burn could benefit from a beefier mix for example. I think it would sound more doom.

Overall Hetfiled is my favorite part in this and I would love to hear more of him and Trujillo in the mix. I am not a Hammet hater but his work here is terrible IMO. Almost as uninspired as that solo stuff he put out last year. They need to sit down and write a few of the solos to the songs like they used to and not go for these copy paste collections of noodling we've been blessed with for a while now.

Chasing Light has a cool Chorus. If Darkness had a son has the sinister vibe I like from Metallica but then the Chorus throws me off.

Again. These are my first impressions after not much listening. maybe I don't get it yet.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I realized listening to this album that Kirk's solos are basically the same as Dave mustaine's solos now. Shitty pentatonic noodling over and over.