New Dream Theater song - The Gift of Music

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Nanocchio

Reaction score
Honestly, if you've listened to Dream Theater before this is nothing new from their palette. Still some great music, but I feel like they've lost their ability to really stretch outwards and create really new and surprising music. Oh well :)

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Honestly, if you've listened to Dream Theater before this is nothing new from their palette. Still some great music, but I feel like they've lost their ability to really stretch outwards and create really new and surprising music. Oh well :)
I mean there's only so much you can do if you've been playing metal for 30 years and already have an established sound unless you pull an Opeth and start playing prog rock. I can't think of any band that have been around for that long and can still put out music that actually surprises the listener in a good way. Dream Theater at least holds a pretty consistently high level on most of their albums even though it's not as mindblowing as it used to be.

bhakan

Reaction score
I had no intention of listening to this as I haven't been that into recent Dream Theater, but I listened to it on a whim and actually really enjoyed it. It sounds like they went back to embracing the cheesy prog sound they started with and stopped trying to be serious and heavy.

GraemeH

Reaction score
I hate to be that cliche; but the drums sound distractingly "perfect". I presume it's just Mangina being a really precise player, but it makes him sound snapped to the grid and velocity equalized. He sounds like Superior Drummer.

It's like the Images & Words sample replaced snares that just pull your attention off of the overall song.

Song writing is typically good Dream Theater, of course.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Mangini didn't sound like this on the limited tracks he did for Extreme's Waiting For The Punchline. He can sound looser and play with a lot of swing, but I can only guess that this is what was demanded by DT for the performance.

InFlames235

Reaction score
I mean there's only so much you can do if you've been playing metal for 30 years and already have an established sound unless you pull an Opeth and start playing prog rock. I can't think of any band that have been around for that long and can still put out music that actually surprises the listener in a good way. Dream Theater at least holds a pretty consistently high level on most of their albums even though it's not as mindblowing as it used to be.

Agreed with this. I'm not really expecting new Dream Theater to break barriers but they put out more consistently good music than any other band that's been around as long as they have. That's all you can really ask for at this point and I'm totally OK with it.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I can't tell if I like it because it's good, or I like it because it's so much like their last all good album, Scenes from a Memory. Probably the latter.

TheTrooper

Reaction score
Hey guys, I used my JBM100 to record the Solo from the new DT Song.
I made a TAB of it; tought someone might want to give it a shot (it's a pretty accurate TAB, check the description of the video)
I'm tuned to D Standard (I've lowered the Pitch on the Back Track)

Hope you guys like it! :D

:hbang:

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Wait wait wait, did that begin with:

"In the not too distant future..."

latest

?

That said it SOUNDED awesome. Despite dumb lyrics. So its pretty much SFAM 2, as I thought.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
I like it a lot. More than their last album, the mix seems better. Drums especially are better, but they are still not perfect. Or rather, they feel TOO perfect and triggered, Mangini is a great drummer but he just doesn't have to groove that Portnoy does. Otherwise, an excellent song. Typical DT.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
listening now at 720p on my DAW it sounds a bit better but still, there are NO dynamics on the drums, as someone else said sounds like it's all triggered at 127??!! don't like the repeated snare hits either, does not suit the song. apart from that...yep still 3/5

vividox

Reaction score
Am I the only one who is really glad Portnoy is gone?

I mean, the guy is an incredible musician and fantastic drummer, don't get me wrong. But he was solely responsible for some of the worst lyrics and worst vocals in Dream Theater history. He was slowly making a transition from back-up-singer-on-occasion to second singer, and every instance of Portnoy screaming lyrics in an angsty voice was objectively terrible. A Nightmare to Remember is an amazing song... up until 11:20 when Portnoy decides to take a s*** on the track. If nothing else, Mangini should be applauded for sparing us of that.