New Polyphia Single - Playing God

• Thread starter ItWillDo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
I wasn't blown away by some of their latest work as it was starting to get monotonous, but I didn't expect that a change of instrument in the same style would result in such a fresh breath of air.

Also, does anyone have more info on the guitars they're playing here? :yum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Edika

Reaction score
Nice composition and insane playing but it really sounds quite similar to their other stuff, just with semi acoustic nylon string guitars. I'll listen to it more of course as I like their tunes!

Since they make so much effort for the drums to sound like trip hop drums, why not have the dude play an electronic kit? Because acoustic drums certainly don't sound like that lol.

On another note, I think Tim's style is now transitioning to a Japanese metal band/starring in an Anime kind of thing lol.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Impressive but unpleasant. Really don't dig the "chilling but also full on shred" vibe on this one. I liked them more when their songs were actual songs and not just going up and down the fretboard with some trap drums keeping the beat. Like "Crush" for example, that song is Polyphia at its finest, if you ask me.

Wc707

Reaction score
I have their other albums, but this really feels like a big helping of riff salad with no really good hooks.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Since they make so much effort for the drums to sound like trip hop drums, why not have the dude play an electronic kit? Because acoustic drums certainly don't sound like that lol.
Because electronic drums look dorkier than headless guitars (I say as someone who totally gets the appeal and wouldn't mind owning one someday).

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because electronic drums look dorkier than headless guitars (I say as someone who totally gets the appeal and wouldn't mind owning one someday).
It could also be that electronic kits are miserable to play. Maybe I just haven't found the right one yet, but they're all so uncomfortable and you have to alter your drumming technique pretty significantly when drumming on electronic kits. It's super easy to build bad habits.

As far as the song goes, I liked it a lot. Not sure about the nylon tone (sounded really bad over Youtube compression, but when I listened to it on Apple Music later it was fine) but the addition of some Latin influences into the Polyphia fusion thing they have going on was pretty neat. Stoked to hear more stuff from them!

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I liked that a lot more than I expected and I agree where they shot the video was cool. That said something about the drums didnt work for me

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The first intro section of the song sounded indistinguishable to me from all of their other stuff. Aside from the acoustic quality. I like the concept on paper, but they have a unique vibe that they don't seem to deviate much from, and it doesn't work for me.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
There's something that makes me unable to bear Tim Henson as an individual.
Don't hate him, but I find him annoying, maybe it's his emo vibe, dunno.
But these 4 guys are insanely good, all the respect on the musicianship and skills.

Latest posts