New Rings of Saturn

• Thread starter spawnofthesith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
McSalty hit the nail on the head. I'd like to kind of reiterate what Misha has said about recording guitars and music and such, that you should do what it takes to get music the way you like it to sound. The problem lies in honesty about the music. If Lucas can truly play what he makes, perhaps the sound he is going for is the ultra-tight, midi-like sound? People forget the true reason behind music is to make something that sounds good to you and yourself. Fans and such are usually a welcomed luxury.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
I wonder if these guys get this upset about movies too. That's all fake.

Cyn__Theia

They freak you out
Reaction score

While I completely understand the notion of the intention behind trying to achieve a sound and concept like they have established, the comparison to movies is not a valid one. It's widely understood by most every human being exposed to media that movies are fake; an individual watching a movie goes in with an anticipatory level of something called a "suspension of disbelief". That's part of the experience.

The same level of anticipation doesn't exist as a prerequisite to enjoy music. Not every music listener is aware of the concept and/or completely disregards the attempt at what any given musician(s) or band may be trying to accomplish, and more often than not, completely ignores the idea of a similar suspension of disbelief within music. There is a predisposition there that is dictating their interest. This is not saying there is anything wrong with that, as music tends to be a widely subjective experience. This is why you have individuals clamoring over and reiterating the"it's fake" accusations or the "it's not fake" styled defenses.

Nats

Reaction score

Rings of Saturn was the finishing move of wrestler Perry Saturn. Wrestling is fake. Rings of Saturn are accused of being fake. I think this all ties in somehow.

Dana

Reaction score
No well thought out explanation of anything is gonna make me change my mind that I like Ros. Lucas Mann is a great player.

ForThisGift

Reaction score
Rings of Saturn was the finishing move of wrestler Perry Saturn. Wrestling is fake. Rings of Saturn are accused of being fake. I think this all ties in somehow.

I see a possible Illuminati correlation here as well.

While I will freely admit that Lucas Mann is a way better guitar player than I am, or probably ever will be, there is still something to be said for someone being arrogant and conniving with an apparent inflated sense of self accomplishment...

He plays guitar, and not even authentically I might add. If you want to be regarded as one of the best technical players then don't cook the guitar performances. Anyone talking about the bands "preference" for the re-amped midi sounds coming through my speakers is really giving these guys an out. If that is their intended sound and they are such phenomenally talented players then why not get to a level where you can capture performances as such. That might be a bit more impressive, even if it still resulted in the same god-awful sounds.

Dana

Reaction score
I don't think Lucas cares if other musicians are impressed.

Dana

Reaction score
maybe he does... who knows. i know i am done listening to this nonsense about whether they're good or not or whatever... have fun debating pointlessly in here I'm out

Dr Zoidberg

Why not Zoidberg?
Reaction score

While I will freely admit that Lucas Mann is a way better guitar player than I am, or probably ever will be, there is still something to be said for someone being arrogant and conniving with an apparent inflated sense of self accomplishment...

He plays guitar, and not even authentically I might add. If you want to be regarded as one of the best technical players then don't cook the guitar performances. Anyone talking about the bands "preference" for the re-amped midi sounds coming through my speakers is really giving these guys an out. If that is their intended sound and they are such phenomenally talented players then why not get to a level where you can capture performances as such. That might be a bit more impressive, even if it still resulted in the same god-awful sounds.

Wait, what? If you think that it's possible for them to play so good they can get that note-by-note sound without processing, how do you know they haven't already done it?

You can't simultaneously argue that RoS is fake because their sound is impossible with a natural recording and that they should be able to achieve the same sound by using a natural recording.:lol:

ForThisGift

Reaction score
You could still perform AND edit, as opposed to editing a midi file to begin with... I guess I understand that I wasn't as articulate as I could have been, but c'mon. My point is that you should be editing your best performances of the material if what you are after is a super tight production, not just bullshitting the entire process by trying to skip the performance portion entirely.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Art is art. Its an aesthetic creation and I personally don't care how it is created if the end result is cool. Having played in a band with somewhat similar aesthetic qualities in the past I can tell you that most of the riffs in ROS songs are not particularly difficult to play and the speed is completely attainable with a bit of practice, which these guys obviously manage since their live shows are clean.

And I seriously doubt anyone making this style of music is literally making a take for each note in the song. That's incredibly unrealistic and would be significantly harder than just playing the riffs.

Dr Zoidberg

Why not Zoidberg?
Reaction score
You could still perform AND edit, as opposed to editing a midi file to begin with... I guess I understand that I wasn't as articulate as I could have been, but c'mon. My point is that you should be editing your best performances of the material if what you are after is a super tight production, not just bullshitting the entire process by trying to skip the performance portion entirely.

Again though, what evidence is there that this is not exactly what they're already doing?

If they're performing live (and apparently performing well), they certainly aren't trying to skip the performance portion entirely.

I'm not trying to jump down your throat here or anything, sorry if I came off that way. I just think RoS (and some other bands) get a lot of hate for not being something they're not trying to be.

Icecold

Reaction score

Dammit....

Chris Jericho also forced him to wear a dress..... and I'm a Jericho-holic. I need to hit the lab and figure this out.

Nats

Reaction score
Dammit....

Chris Jericho also forced him to wear a dress..... and I'm a Jericho-holic. I need to hit the lab and figure this out.

After I made that post I was looking at his wiki page and it was saying that no one could find him for a couple of years and they all thought he was dead. When he resurfaced he said he was on meth and homeless all that time. I'm reminded all the time that there's nothing sadder than the life of a retired pro wrestler.

fps

Kit
Reaction score

There is no such thing as an uncooked studio guitar performance in modern metal. It's just about how far you want to take it.

Icecold

Reaction score
After I made that post I was looking at his wiki page and it was saying that no one could find him for a couple of years and they all thought he was dead. When he resurfaced he said he was on meth and homeless all that time. I'm reminded all the time that there's nothing sadder than the life of a retired pro wrestler.

Not even gunna try to turn this into something about Pro Wrestling, but just wanna get this in, those guys end up like retired circus animals. I mean, hell, look at Ric Flair.

danresn

Reaction score
Can't say I'm a fan. It still sounds like a midi file that was reamped. Now, I'm not accusing them of actually doing that, but that's what it ends up sounding like and I am not a fan of it.

I can't believe how accurately this describes the song

Nats

Reaction score
Someone needs to start an "adopt a former pro wrestler" program. Hmm, maybe I'll kickstart it!

Demiurge

Reaction score
Someone needs to start an "adopt a former pro wrestler" program. Hmm, maybe I'll kickstart it!

I'd try to think of a wrestler I'd adopt, but then I'm afraid of looking them up and finding that they died in their 40's. :ugh: