NHL 2016-2017: World Cup of Hockey

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I was expecting a LOT more activity across the league today, by the sounds of it sounds like a lot of GMs are scared to pull the trigger on all of these rumored big deals.

Pav

???
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if everyone was waiting around to see what George McPhee is going to do with the million assets he acquired leading up to last night. Most people are expecting that half the team he drafted and traded for is going to be flipped for more assets pretty quickly like Trevor van Riemsdyke. Maybe more GMs will be pulling the trigger once McPhee pawns off his extras.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The expansion has definitely shaken things up a bit, but I agree I think a lot of GMs are waiting to see what Vegas does with some of the players they acquired before making other moves.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Looks like it's starting. Arizona gets Derek Stepan and Antti Ranttaa, the Rangers get the 7th overall pick for this draft and a defenseman I've never heard of. Meanwhile the Blackhawks bring Brandon Saad back and the Blue Jackets get Artemi Panarin.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Freeing some cap space, getting younger, and get Toews rolling again... oh and replace Hossa :2c:

Last edited:

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Just signed Oshie at $5.75 for 8 years. Glad they could keep him, but damn that hurts for a guys that is 30 years old.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah 8 years for that kind of money hurts, even though Oshie is a hell of a player.

Not so sure about this Reaves trade. The Pens getting a little more physical presence isn't a bad thing, but Sundqvist and dropping 20 selections in the draft for him seems a bit much. Then again Sundqvist didn't exactly light the world on fire in his NHL appearances up to this point. Guess we'll see how it shakes out.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I thought 8 year contracts could only be done when between a player and his original draft team?

TheDivineWing22

You've got the touch
Reaction score
McPhee backed himself into a corner and killed his own market for dmen. I feel the GMs in the league know he can't go into the season with all of the defenseman he drafted.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's sort of a shame that it seems McPhee may live up to his reputation of being a horrible GM since Vegas actually has the chance to start with a pretty strong team.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pens qualified all but two of their RFAs: Justin Schultz, Brian Dumoulin, Conor Sheary, Derrick Pouliot, Frank Corrado, Jean-Sebastien Dea and Josh Archibald.

I was curious to see if they would qualify Pouliot since they seem to REALLY not want to play him in the NHL...

protest

Reaction score
I want the season to start now. Should be Year 1 in the Flyers turnaround.
  • Patrick
  • Lindblom
  • Sanheim and Morin
  • Konecny a year older
  • Ghost and Giroux not coming off of hernia surgeries.
I'm tired of having to pull for someone else to beat the Pens.

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Wow Stars robbed Vegas and McPhee: Methot for goalie prospect Dylan Ferguson and a 2020 second round pick.

McPhee backed himself into a corner and killed his own market for dmen. I feel the GMs in the league know he can't go into the season with all of the defenseman he drafted.
Yep, McPhee's idea to draft all the defense doesn't seem to be working too well. I'm really happy with that fleecing... I mean trade. We drafted one of the best goalies in the draft in the 1st round, so no sweat losing a 7th round goalie. The funny thing is Vegas could have drafted that goalie 11 times and passed.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want the season to start now. Should be Year 1 in the Flyers turnaround.
  • Patrick
  • Lindblom
  • Sanheim and Morin
  • Konecny a year older
  • Ghost and Giroux not coming off of hernia surgeries.
I'm tired of having to pull for someone else to beat the Pens.

Good luck with that :lol:

It's going to be interesting to see how the Pens shake out next season on defense and with their third and fourth line centers.

protest

Reaction score
Good luck with that :lol:

It's going to be interesting to see how the Pens shake out next season on defense and with their third and fourth line centers.

You're just lucky we traded away your kryptonite, Hartnell lol

The games haven't been the same since.