Random Pics of Your Rig

Chrisesp

Reaction score
Looks amazing Chisesp! I have a Mode Four cabinet too. How does it go with the bogner revision blue? Heard great things about that bogner as the best Uberschall.

The Mode Four cab is the 280 version with the V30's and most of my heads sound awesome through it aside from the Cobra which is voiced for Greenbacks. The Friedman cab sounds better to my ears though (well it should do for the price!). That one has 2 Greenbacks up top and 2 V30s down the bottom.

My Rev Blue is the only Uberschall I've had the pleasure of playing but it's insanely good. I actually think most people seem to think the original Rev 2 or Green light Uberschall is the best but it's all preference. The original is darker and meant to be meaner whereas the Blue is a bit brighter and tighter, but still really mean to my ears. I'd imagine you can't go wrong with either.

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
The Mode Four cab is the 280 version with the V30's and most of my heads sound awesome through it aside from the Cobra which is voiced for Greenbacks. The Friedman cab sounds better to my ears though (well it should do for the price!). That one has 2 Greenbacks up top and 2 V30s down the bottom.

My Rev Blue is the only Uberschall I've had the pleasure of playing but it's insanely good. I actually think most people seem to think the original Rev 2 or Green light Uberschall is the best but it's all preference. The original is darker and meant to be meaner whereas the Blue is a bit brighter and tighter, but still really mean to my ears. I'd imagine you can't go wrong with either.

Yep I have the same Mode Four cab and it sounds good with my KSR Orthos 2. It reminds me of a Bogner Uberschall Revision Blue which I think is the best. Mesa sounds best with Mesa Recto V30 and PRS Archon with Achillies V30. Yet your entire range of amps is amazing. I’m completely satisfied with my three. I think they make a great Wall of sound, build the wall of sound indeed!

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
My rig has now become portable

20190125_133307_zpsbkyhtguv.jpg

I got tired of having to move around a big heavy amp that was never being used to its full potential. Sold it on and decided that Helix was the way to go.

Now I can go to gigs/rehearsals with pretty much everything carried on my back and hands. Tones are fantastic too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
Fair enough maliciousteve. I think most would agree that amp modelling is the way to go. I still like my amps though. There’s something inspiring about going through a great guitar and a great amp. Nothing compares to that.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree 100%. If I had more space at home I'd have a few valve amps for the fun of it (Mark IV, Savage) but right now the convenience and practicality is perfectly suited.

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
I agree 100%. If I had more space at home I'd have a few valve amps for the fun of it (Mark IV, Savage) but right now the convenience and practicality is perfectly suited.

After plugging in to my Mesa Mark V and PRS Archon last night I have to say both amps sound great, clean and gain channels. They can both be dialed in reasonably quickly. The difficulty I have always had with amp modelling is trying to dial in an amp sound that sounds natural. The question always comes back to: Do you prefer organic or synthetic guitar amplifier sounds? I like some synthetic guitar amp sounds, yet there's something more lively about an amp & cab.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Finished my bass rack today (and I use the word "finished" loosely). Been playing bass in a band lately and until now was using a Hartke head with a couple pedals mounted on top for between song changes. Well the head started dying a slow death so it was time put a real rig together.

The thing i love about racks is you show up to gig, plug in one power cable, place your controller on stage and flip one power switch. No swnd and receive cable runs. No power cables on stage. And you can do any number of changes with a single patch change. I have an octave pedal in the loop that is built into a few patches for filling in space during certain guitar solos and whatnot. Kinda wish line 6 had a newer bass pod, but it still sounds great and works with my FBV shortboard just like the guitar rig.

Edit: Bass cabs are at practice shed. Not using a randall 1x12 for band volume bass!

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
Finished my bass rack today (and I use the word "finished" loosely). Been playing bass in a band lately and until now was using a Hartke head with a couple pedals mounted on top for between song changes. Well the head started dying a slow death so it was time put a real rig together.

The thing i love about racks is you show up to gig, plug in one power cable, place your controller on stage and flip one power switch. No swnd and receive cable runs. No power cables on stage. And you can do any number of changes with a single patch change. I have an octave pedal in the loop that is built into a few patches for filling in space during certain guitar solos and whatnot. Kinda wish line 6 had a newer bass pod, but it still sounds great and works with my FBV shortboard just like the guitar rig.

Edit: Bass cabs are at practice shed. Not using a randall 1x12 for band volume bass!

Looks like a good bass rig. The main concern I would have is digital modelling has to be the loudest in the mix otherwise it disappears. Could be an issue if you want to be heard or hear yourself in the mix. If not that’s fine. Many bands using axe fx, kemper or line six seem to struggle to be heard in the mix & the guitars and bass disappears. The midrange frequencies of analogue amps seems to overpower & drown them out unfortunately.

Last edited:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Looks like a good bass rig. The main concern I would have is digital modelling has to be the loudest in the mix otherwise it disappears. Could be an issue if you want to be heard or hear yourself in the mix. If not that’s fine. Many bands using axe fx, kemper or line six seem to struggle to be heard in the mix & the guitars and bass disappears. The midrange frequencies of analogue amps seems to overpower & drown them out unfortunately.

From my years of gigging guitar with a pod hd pro and various ss and tube power amp, i really think it comes down to both whether you use the power amp and cab models or not (i dont, at least on these older modelers) and then just how you dial it in.

For sure, modelers are responsible for some god awful and easily stomped on tones in the wrong hands. But with that pod+tube power amp guitar rig, my co-guitarist was a well off tube purist, so i was competing against killer amps (SLO 100 when i left the band) and we both sounded good together. Even he was impressed. I can dig up a live recording or two if interested. Maybe it was the tube power amp (mesa 50/50 at the time)too. I tried going solid state and never did like it, went back to tube power amp -now that peavey classic in the pic - guitar rig.

I have the cabs turned off on this bass pod rig as well, but it remains to be seen if it cuts through as my first practice with it is tomorrow. Solid state power....but from my experience with the guitar rig im confident i can get it sounding 100% natural and present. If i can't, im sure ill be thinking of your post!

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
VBCheesegrater, given you were using the Mesa 50:50 power amp (Simulclass?) that would enable your bass midrange frequencies to keep up with a Soldano SLO 100, and your Peavey Classic Series 120 will do likewise. The issue seems to be when using a digital amp modeller, the frequencies disappear next to an analogue amp, so if you enable your modelled cabs and turn off your Peavey Classic 120, unfortunately you may find your bass sounds gets buried in the mix. I have a Fender Cybertwin and I experienced this first hand next to analogue guitar and bass amps. It’s embarassing. POD and other digital amp modellers are best for studio application. Analogue amps work better for live use. That said, if all guitarists (in the band) use digital modellers (including bass) it may be ok. Otherwise it’s a direct comparison you don’t want live. Give it a try at your next rehearsal.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
VBCheesegrater, given you were using the Mesa 50:50 power amp (Simulclass?) that would enable your bass midrange frequencies to keep up with a Soldano SLO 100, and your Peavey Classic Series 120 will do likewise. The issue seems to be when using a digital amp modeller, the frequencies disappear next to an analogue amp, so if you enable your modelled cabs and turn off your Peavey Classic 120, unfortunately you may find your bass sounds gets buried in the mix. I have a Fender Cybertwin and I experienced this first hand next to analogue guitar and bass amps. It’s embarassing. POD and other digital amp modellers are best for studio application. Analogue amps work better for live use. That said, if all guitarists (in the band) use digital modellers (including bass) it may be ok. Otherwise it’s a direct comparison you don’t want live. Give it a try at your next rehearsal.

Hey sound, yeah the 50/50 was just the older straight 6L6 rack power amp, no simulclass. I agree on the modeled cabs, i've never been able to get a natural sound out of that generation with modeled cabs (or power amp modeling, for that matter), always sounds like there's a high and low pass filter at the very least - i just don't use them and let the real cab do the sculpting.

But anyway last night I was having trouble - sounded like a cab model was on but i had them off. Was checking all kinds of stuff of thinking "I might not be able to conquer this unit, the guy on SS.org was right!". When i got it home i first changed my input to the front side bass input by drilling a hole in edge of rack for cable passage (was using the line input before since i figured with an active bass i'd have enough signal) and that maybe helped with levels, but still had that blanket sound. Then started digging in the I/O menu and discovered the output mode was set to "Live w/ horn" which turns out to be a speaker sim - changed it to studio direct and the fog was lifted. I need to play again with the band to be 100% certain but the highs and low lows are back, sounds closer to a true bypass with no models on. I'll decide whether i'll even run an amp model next practice, or just bypass the modeling altogether - in which case i'll still have the main reason i like these units - as a rig controller (with the FBV) and FX unit.

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
Hey sound, yeah the 50/50 was just the older straight 6L6 rack power amp, no simulclass. I agree on the modeled cabs, i've never been able to get a natural sound out of that generation with modeled cabs (or power amp modeling, for that matter), always sounds like there's a high and low pass filter at the very least - i just don't use them and let the real cab do the sculpting.

But anyway last night I was having trouble - sounded like a cab model was on but i had them off. Was checking all kinds of stuff of thinking "I might not be able to conquer this unit, the guy on SS.org was right!". When i got it home i first changed my input to the front side bass input by drilling a hole in edge of rack for cable passage (was using the line input before since i figured with an active bass i'd have enough signal) and that maybe helped with levels, but still had that blanket sound. Then started digging in the I/O menu and discovered the output mode was set to "Live w/ horn" which turns out to be a speaker sim - changed it to studio direct and the fog was lifted. I need to play again with the band to be 100% certain but the highs and low lows are back, sounds closer to a true bypass with no models on. I'll decide whether i'll even run an amp model next practice, or just bypass the modeling altogether - in which case i'll still have the main reason i like these units - as a rig controller (with the FBV) and FX unit.

Glad you got it sorted VBCheesegrater. Sometimes I can get it right, sometimes I get it wrong, but it’s mostly about trying whatever works to get a good sound that YOU are happy with. I can only speak from my experiences of frustration trying to use modelling in band situations and being drowned out by ‘obnoxious’ guitarists who turn up ridiculously loud instigating a pyrric volume war where nobody wins. I hope that guys using modelling in a live band context can dial in their equipment so it can be heard and sound good to their ears. The only reason I write about ‘disappearing in the mix’ is unfortunately next to analogue valve amps, modelling disappeared EVERY single time, so it’s better if your WHOLE band goes digital, and if they don’t, stay with analogue. As I typed earlier, amp modelling HAS to be the loudest thing in the mix, otherwise it completely disappears. Makes for a difficult mix at the BEST of times.

SoundAsleep7

Reaction score
Sounds interesting. I’m thinking of getting a Mayones Regius Custom Classic that’s as obscure as I’d go. Outside PRS the other brands seem to be offering the same thing different name such as Kiezel, Skervesen, etc. Whatever works for your style I suppose.