Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Just remembered the tension calculator site. I'm going to go with 12-16-24-32-46-68 giving the top two a tension of a little under 15 lbs, then the middle two at around 17, and the lowest two around 18. Not exactly balanced, but a gradual tension and I think that will do well. Kind of worried about the 68 being too round sounding, so I'm going to order a 66 as well for the low A# just in case.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gLOW-x

Reaction score
I find gradual tension a good thing.
Trying to be perfectly balanced is the error to me.
Plain vs wound is different, lowest wound vs middle wound too (pick attack will change).
I just try to avoid any jump, apart "plain to wound" one.

Halowords

Reaction score
Another string question (who would have thought?). I have an Agile incoming (well, in December, not right away) with a 27"-to-30" fan and would like it for a BEADGCFAD tuning, basically to cover the range of a 5-string bass and a standard guitar from B0 to E4 only with the guitar tuned down a step (with the 24-frets the range works out the same and allows for "drop tuning" by moving down a fret or two) and allowing more of a Bass VI or Fender-y feel/vibe on the lower strings and a rounder/short-scale Gibson-y feel on the upper strings.

Anyway, as for the questions:

1) What would be a good range for something like this to make the low end usable?

2) What would be the downside if I used really thick strings? It's a Maple neck-thru with a Maple top and Ash sides, so it may be pretty bright.

As for my thoughts, I am thinking of going with something like .135 on the B0 and thicker strings across just to keep the bass strings as tight as possible and the top end more "lively" for lack of a better word (since I normally like thicker strings on my 6-strings and it will be dropped down a whole step for the 27" high-E4 string [or high-D4, I suppose]). But if lighter strings would allow for me to play without a ton of buzz (I do not play super hard) and have more of a guitar-ish sound or be more complementary to an actual bass player (thinking along the lines of a Bass VI ala. The Cure), I'd listen to counter-arguments, but I am wondering if the guitar pickups and my planned setup (probably a guitar amp and a keyboard amp to start out with, maybe something more plush down the road) would have any impact on suggestions.

I did ask in the thread below (in case you wanted to check out more of my ramblings), and got no responses, but I am more-or-less just looking for suggestions on where to start.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/294685-thoughts-strings-27-30-beadgcfad-tuning.html

Also, if somebody else has happened to ask this exact same question and I missed it, feel free to just point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance either way!

-Cheers

jerm

Reaction score
I'd be scared of gradual tension to increase the chance of the neck warping towards the side with the most tension.....

Halowords

Reaction score
I'd be scared of gradual tension to increase the chance of the neck warping towards the side with the most tension.....

Good point. I'm hoping the dual truss rods would prevent that.

I could just start with lighter-gauge strings (especially on the low end) for an arguably livelier tone and to keep the tension more balanced. I am cautiously optimistic that will not really be a factor, but it is good to be aware of, and I could just gradually play with thicker strings if/as needed.

-Cheers

gLOW-x

Reaction score
What i call "gradual tension" is different ;)
I try to keep a slight "fall off" on lower side. So there is no risk of wrapping at all.
In fact, there is less than ppl trying to keep an "even all over the board" tension.

See my previous post about my current 7 strings Open D tuning to see what i mean :D
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4359875-post1804.html

There are strings tension calculator taking in account fanned frets, you can change scale on each string.
Start with your stock gauge and tuning. So you can estimate global tension. And try to not move so much from TOTAL tension.

If you are doubtful, contact guitar maker to know the limits ;)

Halowords

Reaction score
As an aside, I notice the Ibanez ABG205 five-string bass has a 30.3" scale and a .145 gauge string for the low-B.

nmaivqr603pnqljgbmlg.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/601245-new-ibanez-artcore-agb205-hollow-body-5-string-electric-bass-dark-violin-sunburst

I am not sure how/if that might translate to which strings to use on my upcoming 27"-30" 9-string Agile, but it's something that made me wonder how/of that gauge might work for what I am planning. It also made me stop and think to myself, "Wow, I did not know they made strings that thick."*

-Cheers

* So naturally I look and find Kalium (Circle K Strings) makes a .266 gauge string.

penguin_316

Reaction score
Need help findings trying gauges (circle K) for a 30" 8 string.

I'd like to tune it low to high:
Low C#
E1
B
E
A
D
F#
B

So drop E tuning on the highest 7 strings and a low C#(1? I think...). I'd like about 18 lbs for the lowest 2 strings and the tension of a set of .10s for the highest 6 strings of possible. Help me out guys :)

Masoo2

Reaction score
Need a 6 string set that will be tight enough for Drop B/Drop A#, but light enough (On the treble side) for Drop C.

I'm thinking 11-60, but I can't seem to find anyone selling a set with those gauges.

Any recommendations? Or should I just purchase a 10-60 seven string set and remove one string?

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Need a 6 string set that will be tight enough for Drop B/Drop A#, but light enough (On the treble side) for Drop C.

I'm thinking 11-60, but I can't seem to find anyone selling a set with those gauges.

Any recommendations? Or should I just purchase a 10-60 seven string set and remove one string?

Try guitarstringsonline.com and build a custom D'addario set. That's what I've been doing for a while with my guitars since stock sets never really fit what I like tension-wise.

What's the scale length you'll be using? What type of tension do you normally like? It'd be best, IMO, to build the set so that the tuning in the middle of your range (drop B in this case) feels right, that way a half step up or down isn't too drastic of a change.

A comfortable set in drop B on a standard scale (for me, anyway) would be 11, 15, 24w, 32, 42, 62. You could also swap out the 24w for an 18 or 19 plain if you don't get along with wound 3rd strings.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Try guitarstringsonline.com and build a custom D'addario set. That's what I've been doing for a while with my guitars since stock sets never really fit what I like tension-wise.

What's the scale length you'll be using? What type of tension do you normally like? It'd be best, IMO, to build the set so that the tuning in the middle of your range (drop B in this case) feels right, that way a half step up or down isn't too drastic of a change.

A comfortable set in drop B on a standard scale (for me, anyway) would be 11, 15, 24w, 32, 42, 62. You could also swap out the 24w for an 18 or 19 plain if you don't get along with wound 3rd strings.

Thanks for the link, haven't really created a custom set of strings yet (Unless using the old Kalium website counted, as they have so many odd sets).

The scale length will be 25.5, and I normally favor a skinny (or very skinny) top and heavy (or very heavy) bottom. I just can't see the appeal in using 10s or 11s in standard tuning, so I don't think I would really like 12s or 13s for this low.

You idea of creating the ideal set for the middle would actually be a really smart idea. Could you explain how big of a difference a wound 3rd string would make?

EDIT: After looking at tensions online would the 42 and 62 be balanced? The 42 seems to have more tension than the 62.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
A wound 3rd string helps chords ring out more evenly since bigger plain 3rds start to sound wonky and become harder to bend, like a big steel cable. You'll need to use a bigger gauge than a plain string to keep the same perceived tension since the core is smaller, hence why I jumped to a 24 in my example.

The 42 is going to have more tension than the 62, but not by a large margin. I usually prefer to have a bit less tension on my lowest string to help keep it playable, easier to bend, and to keep the sound snappier than a large string like a bass.

Teddiousbear

Jackson Fanboi
Reaction score
I'm looking to strike a balance in string tension between GCGFAD and G#D#G#C#F#A#D# on a 26.5in, Jackson JS32-7Q. Currently have on .10-.46 with a .59 on the seven, EXL110-7 set. Thanks in advance.

Preacher

Lord of Beer
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the NYXL sets? whats the 8 sets like? I am looking to get a decent set of balanced strings (still looking :-/ ) for my 828 pro (28" scale) tuned to F standard ala Meshuggah.

Also, anyone got any advice on what size Bridge Cables I need for a 5 string Bass tuned down to F standard? I got a cheap LTD B-55 off facebook, and she needs new strings and a set up, but I want to go low... I know the conventions about tuning that low on a bass, but I'm curious, and its probably only going to be for my own projects. Its a 34" scale I believe.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
for F standard, the 9-80 set should work just fine on an 828.

As for your bass, honestly, given it's a cheap bass, and only 34" - I'd skip tuning it an octave down. I'd suggest keeping it the same octave as your guitar, and using a good octaver (like a micro pog or something) for when you want that huge 2 octave separation thing

TheSymphony

Reaction score
Is this custom string set too much for Drop B on a standard six-string guitar with 25.5" scale lenght in regards to string tension across the whole string range and fretboard?

I mean, I am using Drop A as my main tuning - and the Drop B thing will just be for the songs that needs it once needed. Can I leave the guitars in Drop B with this amount of tension, or should I tune down to Drop A when finished playing all the Drop B stuff?

Someone?

String tension with the identical string set that is mainly used for Drop A tuning;

C4# .014" PL == 22.48#
G3# .019" PL == 23.23#
E3 .028" NW == 26.84#
B2 .038" NW == 27.19#
F2# .052" NW == 27.73#
B1 .080" NW == 29.53#
total == 157.0#

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
Eh, no permanent damage will be done to the guitar, but I doubt you'll find it very comfortable, assuming you haven't done it already.

The problem arises in that it will bow the neck forward, and would need adjusting before playing, tuning up from Drop A to Drop B - but tuning up a step with any string set would do that.

I'd just get a separate guitar for Drop B and call it a day

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Can someone recommend me a string gauge set for Drop G/A Standard on a 35" scale bass? I'm not real sure where to begin, I'm still new to the specifics of bass. :D

stevexc

Reaction score
Can someone recommend me a string gauge set for Drop G/A Standard on a 35" scale bass? I'm not real sure where to begin, I'm still new to the specifics of bass. :D

Personally, I wouldn't go much lighter than 61/82/106 then 150 for A and 166 than G (using Kalium weights).

But then again, Dan Briggs uses a D'addario .130 set for G# standard.

I'd say start somewhere in the middle - the D'addario 45-135 set isn't too hard to find (I'm assuming you're playing a 5), and you can work from there as a starting point.

"Normal" range for bass in pounds is anywhere from mid 30s to mid 40s. I prefer between 38 and 40 pounds per string personally. For the record, I'm using D'addario's low E strings as a gauge - their smallest for standard basses is a .095 (34.4 pounds on a 34") and their largest is a .110 (46 pounds on 34"). It's not perfect, but a decent generalization.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't go much lighter than 61/82/106 then 150 for A and 166 than G (using Kalium weights).

But then again, Dan Briggs uses a D'addario .130 set for G# standard.

I'd say start somewhere in the middle - the D'addario 45-135 set isn't too hard to find (I'm assuming you're playing a 5), and you can work from there as a starting point.

"Normal" range for bass in pounds is anywhere from mid 30s to mid 40s. I prefer between 38 and 40 pounds per string personally. For the record, I'm using D'addario's low E strings as a gauge - their smallest for standard basses is a .095 (34.4 pounds on a 34") and their largest is a .110 (46 pounds on 34"). It's not perfect, but a decent generalization.

Ah cool, thanks for the tips! If the 45-135 is pretty common and for fives (I am playing a five, a Peavey Grind with a 35" scale), then I'll have to stop by my local shop and see if they have that set in stock. :)