The "NAMM 2021" Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
I think you're thinking of Phil Manansala from Of Mice & Men, who has some LACS RGs with fixed bridges and pickguards, but he doesn't have one with a galaxy fade and he uses EMGs on all of them.
Yeah the name I had in my head was Mike Mulholland (ex-Emmure) but looking at his customs it's obvious they are a bit different (absolutely killer though).

Phil seems correct, his Instagram username is one I've seen a few times though you're right in that he doesn't own any galaxy fades or Fishmans. Still similar though, EMGs and that one really sick swirl.

BTS

BTS
Reaction score
I hope they do that trans purple on rg752 in a 6 string hardtail, looks better than current green/blue to my eyes.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Yeah, it seems that all Ibanez cares about are the Fusion players these days. Jackson had a 540PII shape, I think it was called the Demon, even though Jackson would be the company to most likely to make it, I don't think that is going to happen.

That being said, with Ibanez using "who-know-what-its-made-out-of-wood" and pushing the AZ shape so much, I have found a new fondness for Jackson Warriors and Kellys.
Every year I see Ibanez less and less bold and more trailing in the market.
Let's see if we can steal some Suhr player, let's see if we can retain fanbase and not let them go to Jackson or Schecter.
Let's use pick-ups different from DiMarzio...
They do things to stay in the market, a bit of everything, but nothing bold.
I totally see them going into the headless market but, again, without much conviction and dedication.
I'm not a fan of headless guitars, but I would never say "Ibby shouldn't waste time because I don't like them", but they have a market, so it's a wise decision.
Research and development on headless could bring new ideas into guitar building...but I doubt Ibby will learn the lesson, and like someone else said, they'll release guitars with the worse possible specs (I still think at the 9 strings as an abortion).

Phlegethon

Reaction score
I hope they do that trans purple on rg752 in a 6 string hardtail, looks better than current green/blue to my eyes.

I'd like a hardtail 6, but I could also be content with it as a hardtail 7. And I'll second the appearance thing, some of the new finishes Ibanez has been putting out recently look as appetizing as week old vomit. And in typical Ibanez fashion, would somehow taste worse than the real thing.

I play music

Reaction score
in classic ibanez tradition the first one will only be available in black. it will be multiscale but the parallel fret will be in the worst possible place.
Every year I see Ibanez less and less bold and more trailing in the market.
Let's see if we can steal some Suhr player, let's see if we can retain fanbase and not let them go to Jackson or Schecter.
Let's use pick-ups different from DiMarzio...
They do things to stay in the market, a bit of everything, but nothing bold.
I totally see them going into the headless market but, again, without much conviction and dedication.
I'm not a fan of headless guitars, but I would never say "Ibby shouldn't waste time because I don't like them", but they have a market, so it's a wise decision.
Research and development on headless could bring new ideas into guitar building...but I doubt Ibby will learn the lesson, and like someone else said, they'll release guitars with the worse possible specs (I still think at the 9 strings as an abortion).
Totally disagree, I mean look at the headless bass thing from last year, that was bolder than any other of the big companies, different colors and solid scale length choices
I don't see people going from Ibanez to Jackson, Jackson has been *VERY* disappointing over the last years and with price increase for me they are basically out of the game if they don't come around the corner with some major surprise this year

Last edited:

mitou

Reaction score
Jackson don’t even have the USA Select series guitars up on the site anymore. And if they can’t accept new custom orders this basically means they have little to offer in the way of high end instruments, other than the custom shop guitars ordered and sold by dealers. The Korean Wildcard run could be them testing the waters for new models to compete with the upper-range Ibanez Prestiges and E-IIs and what not. If they were to start offering import versions of the base USA models like back in the day surely this would help with the custom shop backlog as well?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Totally disagree, I mean look at the headless bass thing from last year, that was bolder than any other of the big companies, different colors and solid scale length choices
I don't see people going from Ibanez to Jackson, Jackson has been *VERY* disappointing over the last years and with price increase for me they are basically out of the game if they don't come around the corner with some major surprise this year

the basses have always been awesome.
it's like they're run by a completely different guy that actually likes instruments.

the guitars are run by a marketing department and an ai algorithm.

if they release a headless and it's black that's fine I'll buy one.
if the parallel is on the 12th fret I will not buy it.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Also Gibson coming out with a catalogue that, to Gibson fans, offers something really interesting, but most of the rest of us not seeing any difference between that and the past few years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"So there is this one particular 1959 burst that changed color to this kind of iced tea burst with time that is one tint away from the other 1959, and now they released this color as production?!?!? Heard it was due to the paint guy eating a sandwish with baloney that day, so are they making the whole factory eat baloney sandwiches?!? OMG I'm loosing it!"

adriangrizzly

Reaction score
Martin Miller sig gets a seven string variant as well

https://www.ibanez.com/jp/products/detail/mm7_00_01.html

edit: yeah, looks like the new models are up
anybody else that thinks the 7string AZ headstock looks a little bit like a shoe? something looks off/goofy to me... maybe i need some time to process.
im surprised they stick to the blue colour on the Miller one since he posted a red one on his instagram.

mitou

Reaction score
anybody else that thinks the 7string AZ headstock looks a little bit like a shoe? something looks off/goofy to me... maybe i need some time to process.
im surprised they stick to the blue colour on the Miller one since he posted a red one on his instagram.

It looks like a regular Ibanez headstock that somebody sat on