The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I actually think the Tosin proto is a bit fugly and it was definately inspired by Strandberg a little bit - especially in the bottom part.

Its been speculated here a good number of times that it was originally designed to be headless but thats not possible with Ibanez.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
What I don't like about that SC (and Tosin's) is that it looks top heavy. For me, single cuts are cool so long as there isn't a huge amount of extra meat on one side, vs the other.

Which is interesting about strandberg. Ola's gotten a lot of mileage out of tweaking his original design. He's gotten some really different looks from it, and the actual shape hasn't changed at all. That's pretty cool.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
What I don't like about that SC (and Tosin's) is that it looks top heavy. For me, single cuts are cool so long as there isn't a huge amount of extra meat on one side, vs the other.

Which is interesting about strandberg. Ola's gotten a lot of mileage out of tweaking his original design. He's gotten some really different looks from it, and the actual shape hasn't changed at all. That's pretty cool.

Seconded. I like to have as much of the upper side of the neck available for me to grab my thumb on for bends and vibrato.

The boden is just the best ergo shape out there imo, perfect for both sat-down practice sessions and stage use. Love propping my right leg up on a monitor and resting the lowest cutaway on it, zakk wylde style.

Riker_Maneuver

Reaction score
heads up. the boden J's (some of them any way) have been clearanced and marked down 10 percent. i scored a SWEET black boden j and am just waiting for it to arrive. theres still a beautiful blue 6 string in stock too (and a black one). ed yoon sent me pics and it was really nice.

I would be interested to read your thoughts on how the the J compares to the OS in terms of build quality, feel, etc after you get it.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
^ I can chime in as I have quite some experience.

I'd say that overall the J-series is an upgrade - less so now because the Os will feature the same neck profile (the edges are sharper on the J series and new OS's) and roasted maple necks, but the craftsmanship and wood quality I'd say is higher and the J series sounds more rich and "complex" for lack of a better word.
Like, the J series just sounds way more "woody" in a way. some like that, some don't.

This not to say the OS are not good, they're spectacular instruments, but the woods, worksmanship and overall quality of the J series is just better. To be expected.

littleredguitars2

green canaries
Reaction score
got my J series in yesterday. took some time to swap around the hardware between my two bodens.

UKeM9AN.jpg

i can definitely agree that everything seems to have a bit sharper edge on the J. not sure if thats a good thing or not yet but i dont mind it. everything feels and plays great though. the quality is awesome. i wouldnt say its as good as my US custom but its definitely good. better than both the OS's i've had

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
got my J series in yesterday. took some time to swap around the hardware between my two bodens.

UKeM9AN.jpg

i can definitely agree that everything seems to have a bit sharper edge on the J. not sure if thats a good thing or not yet but i dont mind it. everything feels and plays great though. the quality is awesome. i wouldnt say its as good as my US custom but its definitely good. better than both the OS's i've had

the red hardware looks great with the black top :yesway:

Thringer09

Reaction score

UKeM9AN.jpg

Can't see the picture. Did your clearance J have any problems? Mine comes tomorrow and i'm a little apprehensive, i don't want to get a lemon. What should i be looking out for?
Enjoy your new guitfiddle!

littleredguitars2

green canaries
Reaction score
Can't see the picture. Did your clearance J have any problems? Mine comes tomorrow and i'm a little apprehensive, i don't want to get a lemon. What should i be looking out for?
Enjoy your new guitfiddle!

hopefully the pic is fixed...

no problems whatsoever! although since i swapped the hardware on both, i immediately have to set them both back up lol. but i played with it a bit before i did so and it felt great, sounded great etc.

Razerjack

Reaction score
bodensc1.jpg

TosinAbasi_©GuitarCenter_RyanHunter_2%255b1%255d.jpg

A bit of a similar vibe but pretty different really, I actually think the Tosin prototype might look better as a headless than the strandberg does :shrug:

It wasn't until I saw AAL(and Generation Axe) featuring Tosin Abasi live that I realized the man had pretty much desgined his signature guitar to be as close as his Strandberg* as possible... Then I went back and watched his interviews regarding his guitar and he's actually pretty open about it... Still, would kill for a 6-string singlecut Strandy!

Riker_Maneuver

Reaction score

UKeM9AN.jpg

Cool, do you think it is objectively worth the extra $1000 over the new 2017s given the inclusion of the roasted maple? I have a 2017 pre-ordered but with the bad experiences people have had with some OS's I may pick up a Boden J instead.

Edit: Pulled trig on a Boden J7 natural. Guess the 2017 Original will have to wait for now.

Last edited:

littleredguitars2

green canaries
Reaction score
i will say, i think the craftsmanship is better than the OS line. i dont know about 1000$ better. but its definitely an improvement. its still not as good as my US custom though.

i have some Oil City Blackbird pickups coming in that i'll put in the J series and i'm excited to try em out!

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
Yeah, craftmanship is definitely higher as expected, but the overall wood quality is higher too from my experience. Of course this is one of those things that is hard to put into words, but they just sounded more expensive, not necessarily because they are, but it's this kind of "this guitar sounds like it's high quality". It's got that depth and complexity to the sound that cheaper guitars don't have. YMMV of course.

Nialzzz

The Perseus Veil
Reaction score
Anyone seen this badboy? Looks amazing!

Apparently the aesthetic mods are done by burntaxe(dot)com

Attachments

• 18155974_1499073053470466_6537846293540276135_o.jpg
    18155974_1499073053470466_6537846293540276135_o.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 57