Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

rosso

Reaction score
Hi, guys. Need a little help here.

I have to decide between these two beauties:

2001 Ibanez UV777PBK or brand new Ibanez RGD2127z.

Both are about the same price. I've tried the RGD and it was pretty solid, but I don't have the chance to play the UV.
I play all kinds of metal and to be honest I prefer good string tension - so the RGD wins here. Good thing to mention is I'm going to drop the low B A LOT and I've heard good things about the ZPS when it comes to quick down tuning - another one for the RGD.

The only thing that draws me to the UV (except the lo-pro edge) is the craftsmanship... but is it really THAT good? I know the RGD's price seems a bit high - does its quality justifies the $$$?

Thanks SSO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
Hi, guys. Need a little help here.

I have to decide between these two beauties:

2001 Ibanez UV777PBK or brand new Ibanez RGD2127z.

Both are about the same price. I've tried the RGD and it was pretty solid, but I don't have the chance to play the UV.
I play all kinds of metal and to be honest I prefer good string tension - so the RGD wins here. Good thing to mention is I'm going to drop the low B A LOT and I've heard good things about the ZPS when it comes to quick down tuning - another one for the RGD.

The only thing that draws me to the UV (except the lo-pro edge) is the craftsmanship... but is it really THAT good? I know the RGD's price seems a bit high - does its quality justifies the $$$?

Thanks SSO.

Kind of reminds me of Angel Vivaldi, but he got both the axes. Lo-pros arn`t bad, I got one in my axe and the tuning stability is great. While the UV is a great axe, but I`d take a RGD over it anyday. But thats just me. Here is his profile: Sevenstring.org - View Profile: AngelVivaldi
Since he owns both and is an excellent player, he could help you out.

Here`s a video of him using both:

oddballlw

Reaction score
Hi, guys. I've never owned a 7 string before, and I need a little advice...

I'm looking to spend around $800 on a decent mid-level 7, and I've narrowed it down to 2:

Schecter Hellraiser Special C-7 FR
The new Ibanez S7420QM (basically an S7420 with a burst paint job)

I've been somewhat of an Ibanez fan, I once owned an RG570 6-string years back, and was pretty happy with it. Any advice?

Thanks!!!

the britt shredder

Why Else?
Reaction score
If you like the ibanez thin neck and thin body they got going on then go for the ibanez. Although IMO the neck on the schecter 7's has just so much better of a feel than the ibanez cause it fits your hand for seven string playing. IMO.

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
So, Ibanez UV777 vs. EBMM JP7 vs. Strictly 7 Solar 7?

Damnnn. I`d take a Solar 7 anyday!

S7G-SOLAR7-BROCHURE-page-2.jpg

You know you want it ;)

metaldude27

Reaction score
Schecter Blackjack SLS C7: $899
Construction: Set Neck w/ Ultra Access

Available Bodies: - Mahogany, Mahogany w/Flamed Maple

Neck: 3-pc Maple

Finger Board: Ebony

Frets: 24X Jumbo

Inlay: Mother of Pearl 'Hell's Gate Skull'

Bindings: Black Multi-Ply

Tuners: Schecter Locking

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Active Blackouts /or/ Seymour Duncan Full Shred & Jazz Passive

Electronics: 2Vol/Tone (Tap-Passive Only)/3-Way Switch

Available Bridges: TonePros TOM w/Thru-Body

Scale: 26.5"

Hardware: Black Chrome

Available Colors: Satin Black (SBK)
See-Thru Blue Burst (STBB)

Ibanez Prestige RGD2127z $1599
Neck Material: 5pc Maple/ Wenge

Neck Type: Wizard-7 Prestige (26.5")

Body: Basswood body

Frets: 24 Jumbo frets

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Inlay: Pearl dot inlay

Bridge: Edge Zero 7 bridge w/ZPS3

NeckPU: V77 Custom

BridgePU: V87 Custom

HW Color: CK

Finishes: ISH

Basically which is the best bang for your buck? Given that the Schecter Blackjack SLS C7 has a set neck for better sustain, Seymour duncan Blackouts (supposedly the best pickups out there today), Ebony fretboard which cost more than rosewood and is much durable, no Floyd Rose as opposed to the Edge Zero 7 tremolo on the ibanez (according to Ibanez guitar enthusiasts its the best tremolo out there than non original Floyd Rose tremolos), and a new feature from Schecter is that the new blackjack SLS guitars have slimmer bodies and necks.

Ibanez Prestige RGD2127z has stock ibanez pickups as opposed to Seymour Duncan Blackouts, bolt on neck (less sustain), rosewood fretboard (cost less and not as "good" sounding as ebony) with no fancy inlay work and usually guitars with intricate inlay work tend to be more expensive due to the amount of labor put into it.

So the Ibanez has less going for it and cost so much more than the schecter. People say Ibanez produces well built solid guitars. Other than the fact that it has the Edge Zero 7 tremolo, basswood body with a cool design and deep cutaway. Its $1599 which would make more sense if the schecter costs that much and if it had an original floyd rose.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
Schecter Blackjack SLS C7: $899
Construction: Set Neck w/ Ultra Access

Available Bodies: - Mahogany, Mahogany w/Flamed Maple

Neck: 3-pc Maple

Finger Board: Ebony

Frets: 24X Jumbo

Inlay: Mother of Pearl 'Hell's Gate Skull'

Bindings: Black Multi-Ply

Tuners: Schecter Locking

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Active Blackouts /or/ Seymour Duncan Full Shred & Jazz Passive

Electronics: 2Vol/Tone (Tap-Passive Only)/3-Way Switch

Available Bridges: TonePros TOM w/Thru-Body

Scale: 26.5"

Hardware: Black Chrome

Available Colors: Satin Black (SBK)
See-Thru Blue Burst (STBB)

Ibanez Prestige RGD2127z $1599
Neck Material: 5pc Maple/ Wenge

Neck Type: Wizard-7 Prestige (26.5")

Body: Basswood body

Frets: 24 Jumbo frets

Fingerboard: Rosewood

Inlay: Pearl dot inlay

Bridge: Edge Zero 7 bridge w/ZPS3

NeckPU: V77 Custom

BridgePU: V87 Custom

HW Color: CK

Finishes: ISH

Basically which is the best bang for your buck? Given that the Schecter Blackjack SLS C7 has a set neck for better sustain, Seymour duncan Blackouts (supposedly the best pickups out there today), Ebony fretboard which cost more than rosewood and is much durable, no Floyd Rose as opposed to the Edge Zero 7 tremolo on the ibanez (according to Ibanez guitar enthusiasts its the best tremolo out there than non original Floyd Rose tremolos), and a new feature from Schecter is that the new blackjack SLS guitars have slimmer bodies and necks.

Ibanez Prestige RGD2127z has stock ibanez pickups as opposed to Seymour Duncan Blackouts, bolt on neck (less sustain), rosewood fretboard (cost less and not as "good" sounding as ebony) with no fancy inlay work and usually guitars with intricate inlay work tend to be more expensive due to the amount of labor put into it.

So the Ibanez has less going for it and cost so much more than the schecter. People say Ibanez produces well built solid guitars. Other than the fact that it has the Edge Zero 7 tremolo, basswood body with a cool design and deep cutaway. Its $1599 which would make more sense if the schecter costs that much and if it had an original floyd rose.

The bolded point is moot. And asking about bang for buck when you post a guitar thats almost half the price of the other doesn't make too much sense man.

metaldude27

Reaction score
its just the schecter has more features that would usually cost a pretty penny except the fact that it doesnt have a Floyd Rose, get me? and the ibanez is the opposite and costs more.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
its just the schecter has more features that would usually cost a pretty penny except the fact that it doesnt have a Floyd Rose, get me? and the ibanez is the opposite and costs more.

Well as far as they go, there's a significant difference in quality and playability. Between the two I'd say the Ibanez is undoubtedly better, just maybe not so much for the budget guitarist. Asking which is better is impossible though, they're two different animals.

HanSulu

Djentleman_007
Reaction score
Ok, so has anyone got their hands on an Ibanez RGA7QM ? I am getting a new guitar soon and if I go with a seven then that is most likely gonna be my option (unless someone recommends something better in that price range) but I do have the chance to snag a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 if I wanted to go for an 8 string and that would actually be easier to purchase because my drummer works at Guitar Center and we are using his Employee discount, and its easier to use it on in store items then and the Schecter is in-store where as the Ibanez is not. Keep in mind that because my band tunes to G# with sevens and the other guitarist can not afford to upgrade to an 8 I would most likely tune the 8 string to drop G# with an extra low F, which I am not sure how comforable that will be to play. can someone convince me what the better option is?

metaldude27

Reaction score
i understand. ive been told that ibanez makes the best 7 string guitars and i took their word for it but when i saw the specs for the rgd2127z i was a little disappointed. If it had SD blackouts, ebony fretboard, maybe a better paint job, with some fretboard white binding then yes id probably consider buying it and have no doubt that it would have a killer sound.

broj15

Reaction score
comparing guitars in two completely different price ranges for thier "bang for your buck value" is where you first went wrong. The target audience for these guitars are different based on price.
Yes the schecter has name brand pickups and the set neck probably allows for better upper fret access (but the lower horn being to close to the neck totally defeats the purpose IMO).
As far as rosewood vs. ebony, their is good rosewood and bad rosewood, just like there is good ebony and bad ebony and good mahogany and bad mahogany. The Ibanez, which costs $700 dollars more than the schecter, will probably have a proportionatelly better fretboard. As for the inlay, some people would prefer simple effective dots, or perhaps no inlay at all, over something (IMO) tacky.
i have never played an RGD2127z, but i have played a few other prestige 7's and 6's and and several schecters in that price range and the ibanezs always made the schecters feel like toys.

Edit: 500th post

metaldude27

Reaction score
@broj15
now your reply gives me a bit more hope for the ibanez. im not looking for fancy fretwork but i was just pointing out that guitars with that kind of work on them usually cost more. So hands down you would go with the ibanez?

broj15

Reaction score
I will be going with the ibanez once my schecter sells :cool:

Edit: I guess what I'm basically saying is when you pay $1600 for a guitar your going to get a guitar that plays and feels like it cost you $1600 and When you pay $900 for a guitar your going to get something that plays and feels like it cost you $900. The middle will definetly play well and be money well spent, but one day your gonna want something with that added comfort and performance of a high end guitar.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
I have recently ordered the Schecter SLS C-7 as an upgrade in my set up. I personally hate Ibanez, I've had many bad run ins with them, even their high end guitars.

Edit: I also dislike the basswood bodies, it's just not a good tone in my opinion. The bolt on necks are uncomfortable, and overall I feel like they're really mediocre guitars. My friend has a Schecter ATX Blackjack (the avenger one) and an Ibanez prestige, and I much prefer the Schecter in terms of tone. Ibanez necks are pretty solid, and seem to be the only reason they sell as well as they do.

Biased opinion, please don't flame me D: