What band or musician got you into guitar?

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Guitar got me into music, really. I just started learning cause my brother played, I had no interest and eventually I found the metal.

DigiV

Reaction score
This is a tough one but i think it was Green Day right when they released the dookie album. Funny enough never cared for another one of their cds.

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score

Sonic music has the best bass in existence. Yes, 16-bit synthesised music made me pick up a guitar. I've been listening to it for two decades.

Sonic 1 had a bass in drop G# before it was cool.

Those games have some of my favorite tunes ever. Marble, Spring Yard, Labyrinth, Scrap Brain, Final, Chemical Plant, and Flying Battery zones are all great and memorable songs. My first venture into the realm of making music was midi rips of a lot of those songs.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I don't really know what drove me to it, but my dad's guitar was sitting in it's case and I just one day had a great desire to play it (he's a bassist, so his guitar playing wasn't inspiring enough to take the blame :lol:). I enjoyed playing for the first year or two, but then I heard "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson and it was game over. I would chalk it up to that. The same thing sort of happened all over again when I heard the intro melody from "Embody the Invisible" by In Flames, followed by the rest of "Colony" - that was the first "extreme" music I came to love.

alec16

Reaction score

The intro of this song was the reason i started taking guitar seriously. still kick this album shamelessly

poopyalligator

Dr.Poopyalligator
Reaction score
For me I think journey was the band that got me really interested in guitar. I loved the song "who's crying now" and thought it would be cool to be able to play that on a guitar. Shortly after that I got really into pop punk, and blink 182 and new found glory were bands that got me more into the guitar because their songs were pretty fun and easy to play. Journey I believe was still my biggest inspiration to pick up a guitar though.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
grew up on classic rock so that helped but I didn't start really really practicing until I got into Lamb of God in 2005

Don Vito

Reaction score
Sabbath/Iommi

Iron Man was the first time I paid attention to the instrument section more than the vocalist.

Later Dragonforce/Herman Li & Sam Totman. Couldn't resist the shredz.

riffer_madness

Reaction score
For me I think journey was the band that got me really interested in guitar. I loved the song "who's crying now" and thought it would be cool to be able to play that on a guitar. Shortly after that I got really into pop punk, and blink 182 and new found glory were bands that got me more into the guitar because their songs were pretty fun and easy to play. Journey I believe was still my biggest inspiration to pick up a guitar though.

Neil Schon is a baaad maaan!! Seriously underappreciated player.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score

"Who's Crying Now" = :hbang::hbang::agreed:

maxturbator

Reaction score
KISS made me want to play guitar when I was about 7 years old. So I got one, but didn't take it super seriously up until I was about 15 or 16. Then it was Opeth who really got me into playing.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I don't really know what drove me to it, but my dad's guitar was sitting in it's case and I just one day had a great desire to play it (he's a bassist, so his guitar playing wasn't inspiring enough to take the blame :lol:). I enjoyed playing for the first year or two, but then I heard "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson and it was game over. I would chalk it up to that. The same thing sort of happened all over again when I heard the intro melody from "Embody the Invisible" by In Flames, followed by the rest of "Colony" - that was the first "extreme" music I came to love.
Embody the Invisible was THE song that got me into gutar. Tony Hawks Underground 1 haha game over

blanco

Reaction score
My dad constantly played Santana so that got me into the guitar but i found System Of A Down through and my older sisters boyfriend not long after and that just opened my eyes to the possibilities.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Iron Maiden. :) Run To The Hills was in a skate vid I watched, and I was hooked instantly.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Iron Maiden planted the seed in my mind when I was around 12, but 4 years later I turned on the radio and heard Slayer's "Angel of Death". That very second was definitely the trigger moment.

Latest posts