What is your "white whale" guitar?

• Thread starter Wynseun
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ErockRPh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had one specific guitar that was my white whale. I'm more of a collector and I have certain boxes I want to check off that I don't have yet. That said, if I had the money I'd pick a few things on my list and have a Halo custom made.

My want list:
Multiscale 7
Baritone 6
5 string fretless acoustic bass
Explorer style body
SG
12 string acoustic
SSS pickup Strat
Nylon acoustic

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I know, but you have a bunch of elitists saying that there is a difference and that EII were made with cheaper parts and labor etc.
Nobody is saying that. People are mad that there's a dumb stupid logo on the headstock that makes the guitar look dumb and stupid

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I know, but you have a bunch of elitists saying that there is a difference and that EII were made with cheaper parts and labor etc. truth is I was teenager when these were sold and I wanted one so bad and never gave up my quest for one.

Eh, they could be, but that wouldn't mean something so generalizable in the product/outcome. I've had LTDs and standard series that sounded as good as any original series / custom shop, etc. In fact a standard series M-II was just about the best sounding ESP guitar I ever owned. So if you can put aside things like fretwork and finish work, the product "tiers" are not so important.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
People saying “i cant justify my white whale guitar” you can and just did. Life is short, buy the thing. Just dont miss bills to do it.

madrigal77

Reaction score
Whale%20guitar%20photo%20transp%20background_lores.png

Reaction score
People saying “i cant justify my white whale guitar” you can and just did. Life is short, buy the thing. Just dont miss bills to do it.
Meh..mine are "in a perfect world" type things. Almost all of the guitars I want would just be wall displays. I'd play them for a few minutes but I wouldn't really use them all that much. I've already got 6 guitars I actually use and that's a bit too much as it is. Do I want to spend well into 4 figures on guitars I have just to look at? Ehhh..no.
If I had the space and free money then maybe. Free money being, I don't need anything more important right now..and there's always something I could buy that'd be more important than those.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
I spose it’s not a production guitar but that BC Rich single cut that Meegs was rocking in Coal Chamber is my ultimate white whale. The pics are on the site here somewhere. Other than that, I reckon those Grohl Trini Lopez models are amazing.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Eh, they could be, but that wouldn't mean something so generalizable in the product/outcome. I've had LTDs and standard series that sounded as good as any original series / custom shop, etc. In fact a standard series M-II was just about the best sounding ESP guitar I ever owned. So if you can put aside things like fretwork and finish work, the product "tiers" are not so important.

I think it’s kind of annoying to cough up $2k+ and wait for two years and end up with an ESP that you have to explain to people. “Well, it’s an ESP made by ESP luthiers in Tokyo but it’s technically not an ESP because it doesn’t say ESP on the front of the headstock but it’s supposed to be as good as the old ones for the same price that did even though some people say that they aren’t and honestly I think I made a mistake and just should have waited longer and paid $5k so I wouldn’t have to explain this to everybody and I could just tell everyone I have a fucking ESP.”

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I as going to post a nice swirly UV777-MC, but I see that has already been covered. Honestly I don’t have one white-whale guitar.

That said, I’d probably settle for a metallic silver mahogany Jackson King V or ESP DV8 a lá MegaDave, or a Lightning Sky Rhoads RR1T. Alternatively, and as a nod to the house, I could go for a J Custom RG8527. But I also want an original ES-345 in cherry, ideally the best one ever made so that it’s not a dud. But that’s really white whale money, so I’d tolerate a Custom Shop reissue and $50k worth of metal guitars. I mean, if I had to.

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I think it’s kind of annoying to cough up $2k+ and wait for two years and end up with an ESP that you have to explain to people. “Well, it’s an ESP made by ESP luthiers in Tokyo but it’s technically not an ESP because it doesn’t say ESP on the front of the headstock but it’s supposed to be as good as the old ones for the same price that did even though some people say that they aren’t and honestly I think I made a mistake and just should have waited longer and paid $5k so I wouldn’t have to explain this to everybody and I could just tell everyone I have a fucking ESP.”

Or just stop surrounding yourselves with people who are going to want such a thing explained to them. Sounds like the problem is not the guitar, but caring what random people on the internet think of your personal choices.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t even mind paying the silly price for an ESP MX or a USA Washburn dime if I had a reputable safe way to get one. Instead it’s all shady listings it seems.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
I’m going to add JP’s Gunsmoke JP7 from Live at Budokan. I would drop serious money for that. If that falls under the thread rules, anyway.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Or just stop surrounding yourselves with people who are going to want such a thing explained to them. Sounds like the problem is not the guitar, but caring what random people on the internet think of your personal choices.
Solid point, but I was half joking. I don’t talk to many people about it. It’s nothing more than a petty annoyance worth a throwaway wisecrack or two.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

For me with the JPM90 it's more that they have just gotten expensive to the point it is ridiculous. While I would love to have one again if I am spending that kind of cash on guitar gear there is other stuff I would spend the money on long before actually buying another JPM90.

So for me maybe it's better labeling it the one that got away as opposed to a white whale

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had one specific guitar that was my white whale. I'm more of a collector and I have certain boxes I want to check off that I don't have yet. That said, if I had the money I'd pick a few things on my list and have a Halo custom made.

My want list:
Multiscale 7
Baritone 6
5 string fretless acoustic bass
Explorer style body
SG
12 string acoustic
SSS pickup Strat
Nylon acoustic
I think a lot of people are there. There’s no one specific thing that I lust after so much that I would sell my car and bike to work to be able to buy it. I like having a lot of variety and a well-rounded collection to pull from so that I have something that fits in the whole idiom of what and how I want to play. Example: You can play Metallica on a Strat or jazz on an Explorer, but I choose not to. To me it’s just like dressing for an occasion and setting, even if I’m playing alone at home. If this sounds like a form of cosplay to you, you’re probably right, except the gear and the music are the extent of it.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Hmmm this is a good question since I've been fortunate enough to be able to try a ton of guitars.

It's a pretty short list right now:
Strandberg Varberg - unlikely unless they ever offer it outside of the custom shop
1683991870653.png

Ibanez S5470 WCB - still have never seen one come up second hand :lol:
1683991671108.png

Honorable mentions:
Jackson KE-1
ESP Mustaine V
ESP MX

Latest posts