Why are you happy right now?

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
My degree plan has been approved by all the appropriate channels; all I have to do is finish my coursework, defend my capstone project in April and I'll graduate in mid-May.

Also, my consulting practicum is working on designing and analyzing a first round of experimentation on a "green" solid rocket propellant.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kobalt

Reaction score
Happy because I've been offered the opportunity to leave my mother's apartment at 26. My cousin's been looking for a roommate for about a year and offered me a discounted rent to live with her, even though she barely goes there to sleep and that's pretty much it (so I'd be more or less living on my own for very little money).

Haven't said yes yet, still strongly considering it. It's a big leap of faith, for me. Lived with my mother all my life and owe her so much...so much...

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Dude, moving out doesn't mean you'll never see or talk to your mother again. Do it.

ed: I just noticed I've got my own tag in this thread :rofl:

Kobalt

Reaction score
Dude, moving out doesn't mean you'll never see or talk to your mother again. Do it.

ed: I just noticed I've got my own tag in this thread :rofl:
It's not about never seeing or talking to her again, but how she worked so hard all her life to give me a living before I started putting my life together, some years ago. I basically lived off of her for too long and I feel extremely bad about it. :(

She's had to go through hell to make sure my brother and I had a roof over our head and food on our table. The kind of person who's given every fiber of their being and never asked for/got anything back.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I basically lived off of her for too long

Wouldn't that be a reason TO move out? Otherwise you're continuing to do the thing you feel bad about. Repay her by being a productive, independent member of society who will some day be able to support her instead of the other way around.

Kobalt

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be a reason TO move out? Otherwise you're continuing to do the thing you feel bad about. Repay her by being a productive, independent member of society who will some day be able to support her instead of the other way around.
I have to admit I never looked at it that way, that's a rather healthier way of looking at it.

The way I saw it was that her and I never talked about giving her rent (although I've always been actively paying for stuff like TV, internet, food, house supplies, etc...) because I never saw myself being able to afford one (until the last two years), and now I'd run off because I can. I don't know how to explain it, it feels very selfish to me, that's why I've been on the fence about it. Maybe I'm just overreacting to it all.

TechDeathWannabe

Reaction score
She's your mother.
Don't you think she'd be happy for you if you were able to move out? Not "Good riddance", but "Congratulations"?
Plus, there's no reason you couldn't take her for meals/"dates"* or surprise her by getting groceries for her, etc. I think that would help show your appreciation, without lingering or just "running off".

Me: I got inserts for my Converse, so now I can wear them to work without having to worry about potential foot/back problems from walking. :D

*mother-son dates, like father-daughter dates. Not romantic/etc dates. :lol:

Kobalt

Reaction score
She's your mother.
Don't you think she'd be happy for you if you were able to move out? Not "Good riddance", but "Congratulations"?
Plus, there's no reason you couldn't take her for meals/"dates"* or surprise her by getting groceries for her, etc. I think that would help show your appreciation, without lingering or just "running off".

Me: I got inserts for my Converse, so now I can wear them to work without having to worry about potential foot/back problems from walking. :D

*mother-son dates, like father-daughter dates. Not romantic/etc dates. :lol:
Yeah, maybe you're right. I do really wish she could be able to live her own life again now, cause I feel like I've been such a big ball and chain.

But yeah, I was thinking about giving her money whenever I can to help her out.

Also, I really want to thank you guys for giving me different perspectives on the situation, it's helping me a lot and that means a lot to me. :bowdown:

TechDeathWannabe

Reaction score
^:lol:
Glad you finally got it :)

Got paid extra for a babysitting job, and instead of $20, I have a $50 check to cash after work. And the kids weren't even bad, they were respectful and obedient, which made it even better. XP

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I present to you Donald Trump with a man-bun
CQJg87XUcAAAQA9.jpg

The internet is a beautiful, beautiful place...

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Stewart Lee talking about the nature documentary "March of the Penguins", narrated by Morgan Freeman:

"Morgan Freeman lied knowingly about penguins for money. David Attenborough would not have done that. My only hope is that in a parallel universe somewhere, there's an inaccurate documentary about Morgan Freeman narrated by a dishonest penguin."