Anyone into Watches?

• Thread starter Keirosen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JSanta

Reaction score
I’m thinking about starting a savings account and saving 10% of each paycheck. I think the Rolex Datejust 41 with the grey dial would be awesome. It’d take a few years but the feeling of saving would be epic

Gray dial Datejust is probably my favorite one they make right now. Sounds like a damn good goal to me!

xzacx

Reaction score
I kind of took a break from the watch world for a bit, but I'm coming back. I took my Tudor BBB to get the bracelet refitted (yay losing 50 pounds) and tried on a second hand black dial Explorer II. I honestly haven't thought of making another purchase since getting my Tudor a couple of years ago. But the Explorer II really was wonderful.

It won't happen soon, but I'm thinking either a GMT Master II or Explorer II as a next watch. What's up for next purchases for everyone else?

I got to try on a Sky-Dweller recently and as much as I like how they look, I think it's just too big for me—diameter is perfect, but too thick. That got me thinking about a 41mm Royal Oak, which I've always loved, but the popularity of the Offshores kinda turned me off to AP a little. A 15400ST is pretty much perfect for my tastes though. Little more expensive than a steel Sky-Dweller, with a lot less cool complications, but I think that's what I'm going to save up for.

bulb

Reaction score
Did you see what Lange introduced at SIHH this year? The new Zeitwork is obviously a stunner, but this is the one that really caught my attention: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-lange-and-sohne-lange-1-25th-anniversary-introducing

Not something that will probably ever be in the cards for me (any Lange honestly), but I do love them. You've already got a killer 3 watch collection, something like a Lange or JLC would be fantastic.

I'm going back and forth between a GMT Master II or the Explorer II. I like the really understated look of the Explorer II, so I will probably get one of those, but it will need the orange 24 hour hand.
I think the explorer II is going to be the next "hot" rolex in a few years, so I'd say getting one now might not be the worst investment. I like the extra functionality of the GMT Master II but that bubble is already in full swing for the Pepsi/Rootbeer ones, I think a white Explorer II with an Orange strap would look really epic and unique.

Also that Lange is gorgeous but the Datograph is the one I would have to get, if I had the means, which I don't, unless of course I could somehow afford or justify a Perpetual Datograph haha...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pott

Reaction score
I'm SERIOUSLY considering a Nomos Club.

I'm new to the watch game and I have little-to-no interest in dress, diver, or chrono watches. Field watches is what gets me, since it makes it much easier to wear casually.
That leaves very little choice, and I'm not seeing that much interesting in a Hamilton Khaki.

The Club 38 Campus however, reaaaally ticks it for me... https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/club/club-38-campus-night-736.
What other watches do you guys think may be interesting in the same vein, that I may have missed?

If I had to get a dress watch I'm looking at a Frederique Constant Slimline... but that's not until I need to wear suits more than once every other year.

JSanta

Reaction score
I think the explorer II is going to be the next "hot" rolex in a few years, so I'd say getting one now might not be the worst investment. I like the extra functionality of the GMT Master II but that bubble is already in full swing for the Pepsi/Rootbeer ones, I think a white Explorer II with an Orange strap would look really epic and unique.

Also that Lange is gorgeous but the Datograph is the one I would have to get, if I had the means, which I don't, unless of course I could somehow afford or justify a Perpetual Datograph haha...

The Datograph is probably my favorite Lange currently offered, other than some of their stunning one-offs or very limited productions. Several beautiful complications without the dial looking like a mess. The way the watch accurately manages the moon phases is an absolute thing of beauty.

If my next promotion happens soon, and along with my new position as adjunct faculty, getting the Explorer II will become a very feasible reality.

JSanta

Reaction score

I'm new to the watch game and I have little-to-no interest in dress, diver, or chrono watches. Field watches is what gets me, since it makes it much easier to wear casually.
That leaves very little choice, and I'm not seeing that much interesting in a Hamilton Khaki.

The Club 38 Campus however, reaaaally ticks it for me... https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/club/club-38-campus-night-736.
What other watches do you guys think may be interesting in the same vein, that I may have missed?

If I had to get a dress watch I'm looking at a Frederique Constant Slimline... but that's not until I need to wear suits more than once every other year.

LOVE the small seconds complication on the Club 38. I'm sure others will have good suggestions, but IWC does make some really great watches that have a similar look to the Nomos, but at the price of the Club 38, I don't think you're going to find a nicer looking, better built watch. No brainer to go with the Nomos if you dig it.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score

As field watches go, a lot of love goes to the Seiko SARB017. They were discontinued so the price is going up in them but a cool looking field watch.

xzacx

Reaction score

Explorer 1 is the benchmark for me when it comes to field watches. Super versatile too if you want to put it on a strap. I think someone in this thread actually got one recently if I remember right.

JSanta

Reaction score
Explorer 1 is the benchmark for me when it comes to field watches. Super versatile too if you want to put it on a strap. I think someone in this thread actually got one recently if I remember right.

Completely agree, though the price difference between the two is significant. In terms of a nearly perfect watch, the Explorer I is basically it.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Dark side of the moon. Seemed fitting haha

I only was looking to see your watch based on our discussions in this thread but you can’t miss that Spencer is also wearing a watch. Do you know what he was wearing? Seemed to have a large dial without many distinguishing marks.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone see that 50th Anniversary Omega Moonwatch?!
Oh my god I just saw it.

omega-speedmaster-apollo-11-50th-anniversary-limited-edition-05.jpg

Looks like it will run around $32k.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
It looks so bad but at least tudor is trying unique things haha
The lug to lug width is monstrous. It seems like it’d be hanging over anyone’s width.

You are right though. Most companies just add a different color dial or bezel to an existing watch and call it a day

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
The lug to lug width is monstrous. It seems like it’d be hanging over anyone’s width.

You are right though. Most companies just add a different color dial or bezel to an existing watch and call it a day
also nice that its a fairly faithful heritage release, it is nice that they’re not ignoring their heritage lines. I applaud the faithfulness to heritage but will never get this watch

xzacx

Reaction score
I know this isn't a watch respected by "real" watch people, but I love the new J12—the see-thru case back and that new rotor are killer looking. Too expensive for what it is (and the fact they don't hold value real great), but also a lot more affordable than most of the stuff I want.

01-Chanel-Baselworld-2019.jpg

pott

Reaction score
#firstworldproblemmoment for me...

I got my Hamilton Khaki Field; I like the size and the way it fits on my wrist, but it's not my favorite Field Watch design.

Today I received a Seiko SKX013, a slightly smaller 007, but while it has the same diameter as the Hamy, I really did NOT how it sits on my wrist. The bezel means the dial appears way too small. It's going back.

I'm ideally looking for a GMT next, since the Seiko didn't work out, perhaps with Diver looks (Diver specs are not needed). In a perfect world, it'd look like a Seiko SNK80X (man do these look AMAZING, and are so cheap...) but the closest to that is a Sinn 856, of which I am seriously wanting the S version (the 857 looks stunning, but may be too big).

Failing this, my next big occasion may see me get that Tudor Black Bay GMT. That thing is seriously gorgeous. Not even sure it'd ever fit my style. But wow.

Anything else I should consider?