Ibanez 2019 New Stuff

• Thread starter Sogradde
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightsixboy

あなたのお母さんを犯さ
Reaction score
No.

The number of people who don't buy a product is a dumb way to judge the success of that product. 7.5 billion people won't buy these guitars. They care about who will buy them.

Ah what? I don't think the consumer base for Ibanez or guitars in general is the entire population.

I was just making a point that they obviously don't care about the missed sales of their current consumer base or people in the industry.

A lot of marketing firms base products on potential lost sales from making one product vs another, this is nothing new lol.

I'm not really into Ibanez anymore due to their crappy decisions over the last 5-7 or so years, they used to be great, there line up was so good in the mid 2000's up until around 2012, now they are just barely OK with their range and prices. You can buy much better guitars that are MIJ or MIK for the same of less money now from other brands. Hell you can even buy much better MII guitars for way less then what Ibanez do them for cough Schecter cough

They are just fueling this trend of massively overpriced indo guitars and now the market is over saturated with them. A lot of people including myself just aren't buying new guitars anymore because of this, they are just simply not worth the $$$ anymore. The only exception to this rule that Ibanez have done recently is the RG550's, pretty much the only really good thing they have done for the last few years.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Ah what? I don't think the consumer base for Ibanez or guitars in general is the entire population.

I was just making a point that they obviously don't care about the missed sales of their current consumer base or people in the industry.

A lot of marketing firms base products on potential lost sales from making one product vs another, this is nothing new lol.

I'm not really into Ibanez anymore due to their crappy decisions over the last 5-7 or so years, they used to be great, there line up was so good in the mid 2000's up until around 2012, now they are just barely OK with their range and prices. You can buy much better guitars that are MIJ or MIK for the same of less money now from other brands. Hell you can even buy much better MII guitars for way less then what Ibanez do them for cough Schecter cough

They are just fueling this trend of massively overpriced indo guitars and now the market is over saturated with them. A lot of people including myself just aren't buying new guitars anymore because of this, they are just simply not worth the $$$ anymore. The only exception to this rule that Ibanez have done recently is the RG550's, pretty much the only really good thing they have done for the last few years.
Isn't your profile picture a 2016 Ibanez?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score

the roadcores were great axes, but the us only got the cheap ones, not the MIJs. i had an SGM and boy was that a nice guitar.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd argue that Ibanez IS listening to their customer base, at least the Japanese one. The product line-up this year is in line with quite a few of the trends in Japan at the moment (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong @MatiasTolkki )

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
I'd argue that Ibanez IS listening to their customer base, at least the Japanese one. The product line-up this year is in line with quite a few of the trends in Japan at the moment (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong @MatiasTolkki )

the AZs are proof of this. they have been selling quite well because no one wants a double locking trem, and for price points, they beat suhr and anderson by quite a bit.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

That's pretty self explanatory.

You can't chase every sale, you have to weigh which ones are worth while.

As big as Hoshino is, they're handicapped by thier tiered business model, they just don't have the ability to release every single model that every niche might want.

A lot of this is through the lens of being based in Australia, which by all accounts is a horrendous place to buy production guitars given the small market, price of freight, and taxes assessed.

In North America, thier biggest market, prices have been trending down for almost the last decade, and product mix has been getting better and better at the same time.

Do they make everything I want at the price I want? Of course not. I don't see myself buying a new Ibanez any time soon, but that has to do with my own preferences.

waffles

Reaction score
Why did they removed almost all of the EMG-equipped guitars in the Iron Label line?

Actually, what the hell happened to the Iron Label line? Those new colorful finishes suck and don't scream 'all-out metal' at all, which what I believe the Iron Label line is supposed to be.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Why did they removed almost all of the EMG-equipped guitars in the Iron Label line?

Actually, what the hell happened to the Iron Label line? Those new colorful finishes suck and don't scream 'all-out metal' at all, which what I believe the Iron Label line is supposed to be.

It's instagram metal. Not I wear all black and live with my mom metal.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Those aren't mutually exclusive. :lol:
cc_20120702-1848_16x9.jpg

eightsixboy

あなたのお母さんを犯さ
Reaction score
Isn't your profile picture a 2016 Ibanez?

And?

It was way over priced for what is was and only had a cheap veneer, only kept that guitar for about 3 months and traded it. Give me a RG8527 or RG3727 over the newer RG752's anyday of the week. The older Prestige were way better, better woods, better overall QC and specs.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
And?

It was way over priced for what is was and only had a cheap veneer, only kept that guitar for about 3 months and traded it. Give me a RG8527 or RG3727 over the newer RG752's anyday of the week. The older Prestige were way better, better woods, better overall QC and specs.
Yeah, I'd probably take a J Custom over not a J Custom too.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, the RG752's are pretty good value for money (at least the non-spot model ones are) and are awesome quality. I understand if people gripe about the stock pickups not being as good, however most people are going to swap them anyway so I don't see it as an issue. The only feature they are probably lacking is SS frets however it's not that big of a deal breaker.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
FWIW, the RG752's are pretty good value for money (at least the non-spot model ones are) and are awesome quality. I understand if people gripe about the stock pickups not being as good, however most people are going to swap them anyway so I don't see it as an issue. The only feature they are probably lacking is SS frets however it's not that big of a deal breaker.

People have gone decades without SS frets, dont see why it has become some sort of deal breaker. Ibanez uses Dunlop fretwire, some of the best on the market.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah I played the same guitar - I only owned one - from junior year of high school, through many bands and gigs, and only had it refretted when I was 33 years old. I have a light touch, and probably should have had a refret a few years before, but I think the “nickel frets are too soft” sentiment is exaggerated.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Yeah I played the same guitar - I only owned one - from junior year of high school, through many bands and gigs, and only had it refretted when I was 33 years old. I have a light touch, and probably should have had a refret a few years before, but I think the “nickel frets are too soft” sentiment is exaggerated.

It's just a bunch of people trying to jump on some sort of bandwagon. I mean look at brian may, he has never once changed the frets on red special, and that guitar is well over 50 years old.

Avedas

Reaction score
I've had my MIJ Dinky since 2006 or so and the frets really are worn to shit, and I also play with a light touch. I mostly stopped playing it around 2012ish so most of the wear is from that in between period. The intonation has noticeably gone out in certain areas on it. I'll refret it with stainless whenever I feel like dropping $400 on it but for the moment it's still playable. I'm going to guess it was just made with kinda shitty fret wire but I'd really just prefer to have stainless and never worry about it again.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, all things being equal, I prefer SS for the lack of future maintenance (relatively speaking). For an upcharge like Kiesel does, it’s a no brainer. But I wouldn’t let it stop me from buying a guitar. It’s just not significant enough of an issue to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.