This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
And while I"m at it, here's a sample of my forthcoming album. guitars all Pod

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/kane-wolf/album-sneak-peek[/sc]

philz

Reaction score
And while I"m at it, here's a sample of my forthcoming album. guitars all Pod

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/kane-wolf/album-sneak-peek[/sc]

Sounds sweet! :hbang: Very organic!

Will post pictures of my patch shortly! :)

philz

Reaction score

As you may have noticed, I have 2 distortion pedals in the FX chain :cool: . This is what makes the sound so twangy and crisp! I used to use two Screamers, but then I discovered the Classic Distortion pedal, which gave a lot more "twang" to the sound, which is something I love. If you want more or less twang, you can simply adjust the treble knob on the Classic Dist pedal :)

The recrifier in this patch is just set up as a "Boost", to boost the bottom end and color the lowmids which works great with the XXL cab. The F-ball on the other hand, does not sound that great with the XXL cab in my opinion, which is why I chose the ubercab. The ubercab has a lot more mids and therefore fits perfect with the F-ball to create a nice chunky mid-oriented tone!
Enjoy :hbang:

ilovefinnish

Reaction score

[url=http://postimage.org/]

The recrifier in this patch is just set up as a "Boost", to boost the bottom end and color the lowmids which works great with the XXL cab. The F-ball on the other hand, does not sound that great with the XXL cab in my opinion, which is why I chose the ubercab. The ubercab has a lot more mids and therefore fits perfect with the F-ball to create a nice chunky mid-oriented tone!
Enjoy :hbang:

I wanna hear that saul goodman and heuel patches :lol:

prozak

Pathfinder
Reaction score
@philz - we don't have those input 1/input 2 combinatios on HD500's, how do you pan the paths in the main mix?

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I actually used the Line 6 Epic model. Cab is the XXL V30 and mic is the 409. Master cranked, all other amp DEPs at 0, cab resonance at 65%, all other cab DEPs at 0.

I was thinking that you can't get that short of compressed and nicely saturated higher mids due to the lack of multiband compressor or compressor with adjustable attack, release etc.

The Epic model seems to do that, because it compresses the shit out of them from 50% and above.

Ditching compressors altogether in a patch and dipping the amp and cab DEPs seems to alleviate the problem, but indeed string definition and clarity in the top end is elusive.

Both amps are dead center on the patch, with the F-ball being 1db above the Recti :)

A couple of questions:
1)What cab DEPs are you using?
2) Typically the order of noise gates is from looser to tighter. You use though 2 in a row just before the amp. Which is which and why do you use them?

Personally I use the desktop version so I lack the input pad switch. I tried to use a studio EQ with gain dipped at -18 db in the beginning of the chain, but the gain staiging of the patch seems off to me. Too much noise that can only be dealt with the regular noise gates. I haven't tweaked them enough to get it completely tight yet.

That twang you say that the classic distortion has, comes from 2 factors:
1) The filter simultaneously scooping and making the tone brightier (meambobbo says so and I agree)
2) Thre treble knob boosting around the 2.2 khz area

I believe you can get a similar result by just having a pre EQ boosting around 2.2 khz, or using a q filter to fine-tune the twang and mix it a bit more effectively that being forced to have the classic distortion output high.

philz

Reaction score
A couple of questions:
1)What cab DEPs are you using?
2) Typically the order of noise gates is from looser to tighter. You use though 2 in a row just before the amp. Which is which and why do you use them?

Personally I use the desktop version so I lack the input pad switch. I tried to use a studio EQ with gain dipped at -18 db in the beginning of the chain, but the gain staiging of the patch seems off to me. Too much noise that can only be dealt with the regular noise gates. I haven't tweaked them enough to get it completely tight yet.

That twang you say that the classic distortion has, comes from 2 factors:
1) The filter simultaneously scooping and making the tone brightier (meambobbo says so and I agree)
2) Thre treble knob boosting around the 2.2 khz area

I believe you can get a similar result by just having a pre EQ boosting around 2.2 khz, or using a q filter to fine-tune the twang and mix it a bit more effectively that being forced to have the classic distortion output high.

1. Probably a noob question, but what is "cab DEPs"? :eek:
2. I don't follow any recipe on how to dial in anything, I just dial stuff to what works for me, so the reason behind having 2 noisgates at the same level, is because I'd rather have 3 noisegates on 50 than to have one on 30, one on 50, and one on 70. The more you go pst 50 the more the noisgates tend to "take away" from the sound in my experience. Though, the main reason for having 3 noise gates, is that my guitar makes some unwanted noise that can only be dealt with by noise gates.

Hmmm, I'm not using the pad switch either, so it's weird that you're getting more noise than I am.

You're right about the 2,2khz boost for more twang thingie. But I'd rather have the dist pedal to boost it for me, than to boost it with an EQ. I don't like boosting stuff too much with EQs :p

mungiisi

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a decision between POD HD or an audio interface and plug-ins, I posted this very same question to a thread below regarding purchasing an HD. Maybe some of you could help me out:

Is it possible to bypass the dry signal in POD HD and still use plugins on computer? I have Pod XT Live and even if I bypass all the amps, cabs and effects I can still hear the dry signal of guitar if I have plugged my phones to the Pod. I can skip the dry signal by using the computers output but then I have more latency than with the Pod.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
1. Probably a noob question, but what is "cab DEPs"? :eek:
2. I don't follow any recipe on how to dial in anything, I just dial stuff to what works for me, so the reason behind having 2 noisgates at the same level, is because I'd rather have 3 noisegates on 50 than to have one on 30, one on 50, and one on 70. The more you go pst 50 the more the noisgates tend to "take away" from the sound in my experience. Though, the main reason for having 3 noise gates, is that my guitar makes some unwanted noise that can only be dealt with by noise gates.

Hmmm, I'm not using the pad switch either, so it's weird that you're getting more noise than I am.

You're right about the 2,2khz boost for more twang thingie. But I'd rather have the dist pedal to boost it for me, than to boost it with an EQ. I don't like boosting stuff too much with EQs :p

1) Cab Deep Editing Parameters. You had all the Amp Deep Editing Parameters (apart from the master) all the way down, but you didn't mention the cab DEPs. Maybe the "deep" confused you because it's not mentioned in the hd edit but that's what they are :lol:

2) I generally avoid the regular noise gate because they suck away tone. However, because of that I fell like they can also take away some of the noise within the signal that hard gates can't. I'll look further into utilizing 2 of them in a row.

I'm trying to make a decision between POD HD or an audio interface and plug-ins, I posted this very same question to a thread below regarding purchasing an HD. Maybe some of you could help me out:

Is it possible to bypass the dry signal in POD HD and still use plugins on computer? I have Pod XT Live and even if I bypass all the amps, cabs and effects I can still hear the dry signal of guitar if I have plugged my phones to the Pod. I can skip the dry signal by using the computers output but then I have more latency than with the Pod.

Yes, but you can't use a dual amp in that case, as you get only 2 mono outputs that end up in your DAW.

philz

Reaction score
1) Cab Deep Editing Parameters. You had all the Amp Deep Editing Parameters (apart from the master) all the way down, but you didn't mention the cab DEPs. Maybe the "deep" confused you because it's not mentioned in the hd edit but that's what they are :lol:

2) I generally avoid the regular noise gate because they suck away tone. However, because of that I fell like they can also take away some of the noise within the signal that hard gates can't. I'll look further into utilizing 2 of them in a row.

Yes, but you can't use a dual amp in that case, as you get only 2 mono outputs that end up in your DAW.

Aaaah! That's what I initially thought it was :p

Recti:
Low Cut: 20hz (I usually ut it to around 90-100hz when I record, but I like to have some bass when I jam, so 20hz lowcut for jamsessions :) )
Res lvl: 50%
Thump: 100%
Decay: 0%

F-Ball:
Low Cut: Same as the recti.
Res lvl: 51%
Thump 100%
Decay: 0%

mungiisi

Reaction score

Isn't the dual amp only POD's own amp simulation setting? Because if I'm using software/plug-in amp I wouldn't use any of the POD's amps, cabs or effects. I just want to be able to bypass the dry signal but still hear the signal via plug-ins from the POD.

philz

Reaction score
Isn't the dual amp only POD's own amp simulation setting? Because if I'm using software/plug-in amp I wouldn't use any of the POD's amps, cabs or effects. I just want to be able to bypass the dry signal but still hear the signal via plug-ins from the POD.

Not sure if I understand what you are looking for correctly but, If you want the clean signal through the pod into your DAW, you can do that yes (Dry signal is the clean signal, wet is the signal with amps/effects).

J-RAMONES

Reaction score
hi, i'm new here and pretty bad with technology.
can you tell me if i can connect my pod hd pro x to the ("studio")speakers with xlr (Twin XLR Sockets to 2 x RCA Phono Plugs Audio Cable) or do i have to use the unbalanced outputs of the podx.thanks

mungiisi

Reaction score
Not sure if I understand what you are looking for correctly but, If you want the clean signal through the pod into your DAW, you can do that yes (Dry signal is the clean signal, wet is the signal with amps/effects).

Yes exactly, but what I'm looking for is that I could mute the dry signal so that I don't hear it from my headphones/loudspeakers. Now if I play through my PodXT Live to my DAW I can hear both the plug-in and the dry signal from my Pod.

I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough, English is not my mothertongue.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Yes exactly, but what I'm looking for is that I could mute the dry signal so that I don't hear it from my headphones/loudspeakers. Now if I play through my PodXT Live to my DAW I can hear both the plug-in and the dry signal from my Pod.

I'm sorry if I'm not clear enough, English is not my mothertongue.

The HD series is stupidly limited in terms of outputs. No, you can't mute the dry signal unfortunately.

They best way to do it is to create a signal chain with a pod amp patch along with the dry signal. You can use it just to track, or record it too.

To give you a visual, here is a picture of a patch from a member here that can give both dry signal and pod amp simulation:

http://i61.tinypic.com/98yt08.jpg

If you want to record 2 mono outputs, one that's pod sound and one that's dry in order to apply a plugin amp simulation you'll have to hard pan path A to the one side and the path B to the other side.

In that case, the upper signal chain is the Output 1 that your DAW receives. It's gonna be 100% pod sound, as long as you hard pan ( for example 100% Left ). It's a bit annoying for tracking, but that's the only way to both record (or hear) a pod sound and a dry signal.

The lower signal chain as you can see is completely empty. That's the signal that you're going to use for plugin amp simulations. Let's say that you hard pan it to 100% Right.

Unfortunately, you can't mute the lower signal chain so you'll always hear a clean direct guitar playing.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
How do you guys deal with clipping? I get loads of digital clipping with my POD HD500. The inputs are set to the recommended guitar/variax setting, and there's no discernible input clipping (empty patch with instrument playing through it), so it must be coming from somewhere in my various patches (clean and distorted with various amps and effects). I've copied ChimpSpanner's video on tone building but I still get clipping. It's an absolute nightmare to dial out and I'm wondering if you guys have some specific method to deal with it.

TheStig1214

Mr. Tophat Jones
Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with the expression pedal on the HD500 not going all the way to 0%? On all my wah and volume readouts the lowest it goes is 3% cocked all the way back.