WTF is this sh*t?

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i think the guys in that band are insane, but the musical ideas they put out are pretty gnarly. in the actual negative sense, not in the skater-punk-lingo sense. it´s not that dissonant fast insane stuff doesn´t have it´s place, it´s just that they seem to be doing it just because it´s insane and dissonant, not because it puts out an impressive impression (zing!). i´m impressed with their speed and playing skills, but the music strikes me as being really boring and uninteresting, with nothing to grip onto. it just doesn´t give me anything. it´s like cardboard.

if they were to show some maturity and restraint in their music, with some dynamic in their arrangements, they´d be really impressive. the faceless aren´t too far removed from this kind of insanity, they just show restraint and maturity. they´re at the edge of comprehension, and they pull it off. this band, however, is just way over the line IMO.

Defsan

Reaction score
I love how you dont see these posts on BrokenCyde/Attack Attack threads. :lol:
Show me the threads!

EDIT: Just listened to BrokenCyde...
1276378227861.jpg

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
i actually like it... its the same wave as braindrill and maybe beneath the massacre... for me its just the opposite of punk, there you have 3 powerchors in a song, here its...yeah, more ^^

These guys are beyond Braindrill and Beneath the Massacre in terms of technicality. They have more structure and are a hell of a lot better to listen to ;). They're better live, too.

Plus, it's easier to learn Braindrill or Beneath the Massacre than it is Viraemia. I give the bassist props for building his bass... but I can't listen to the music very often.

josh pelican

Banned
Reaction score
i think the guys in that band are insane, but the musical ideas they put out are pretty gnarly. in the actual negative sense, not in the skater-punk-lingo sense. it´s not that dissonant fast insane stuff doesn´t have it´s place, it´s just that they seem to be doing it just because it´s insane and dissonant, not because it puts out an impressive impression (zing!). i´m impressed with their speed and playing skills, but the music strikes me as being really boring and uninteresting, with nothing to grip onto. it just doesn´t give me anything. it´s like cardboard.

if they were to show some maturity and restraint in their music, with some dynamic in their arrangements, they´d be really impressive. the faceless aren´t too far removed from this kind of insanity, they just show restraint and maturity. they´re at the edge of comprehension, and they pull it off. this band, however, is just way over the line IMO.

This guy.

Quality post up in dis bitch.

drezdin

Reaction score
this band pisses some people of for some reason. Therefore I love them. If you could have this band join up with Attack Attack and John Mayer you could reek havoc on the lives of so many
respect

AliceAxe

Reaction score
hmm interesting thread. Well not all art is necessarily meant to express emotion sometimes it purpose is to induce a reaction in it's audience , like a sense of disquiet or irritation, which this music certainly succeeded in doing!

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
I was gonna make a long post about it, but I just don't feel like it right now.

Simply put... ALL music should be full of emotion. Whatever emotion that is. Why even play music if you just base everything you do off scales and theory? That's more like work, as opposed to doing what you love.

$0.02

The music in the OP sounds like it has a ton of emotion to me. It sounds super pissed and I think it sounds sick as hell. That kind of music is what makes me want to get better and better all the time.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I find the music in the OP to be more entertaining to musicians than the average person. People like catchy shit and I honestly don't find anything there that would stand out in my brain long after the music stops.

Most of the music I listen to has to have a great groove/feel to it in addition to sounding pissed off or dark and creepy. I mean yeah I have some Necrophagist and Origin playing but even then I find some cool grooves that those dudes use. For example the middle section of Advanced Corpse Tumor and the solos for that song along with the solo to Fermented Offal Discharge sound godly. With Origin, I dig the hell out of the song Wrath of Vishnu. Very cool grooves there, and it surprised the hell out of me that they play in Drop C. (I see a lot of tech death in some variation of standard tuning)

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
Here's what I don't understand:

Why is it cool to be so awesomely technical on guitar, bass, drums, keys but the only cool thing to do on vox is go UGHGGHGHH RAAAAAAWWW GRRR UUUHHHH?

Learn to fucking sing asshole, you're dragging your whole band down.

If you're going to play guitar like a 21st century cyborg, why have a caveman vocalist? It doesn't fit the music at all in theory or in practice.

thumbs-down.jpg

Let me tell you why. First reason is truly aggressive music requires aggressive vocals. Well, you may say, "Nevermore is aggressive, and they have a real singer". No, they're not. They're heavy, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they're aggressive. Now, for more angry passages, Warrel Dane will slap on a more pissed off tone, which is fine, but you cannot tell me that Necrophagist, Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse, etc. would benefit from an actual singer. That's flat out ridiculous. Not only that, but if you've got guitarists and bass players flying up and down on their fretboards, someone going tra laa laal allaaaaaa would be insanely redundant. Clean vocals have their place, and I do like them, but in certain bands (like this one), they are not welcomed.

Now, if you don't mind me, I'll get back to transcribing Shania Twain and Yeah Yeah Yeah's songs on my 8 string. :shannon2:

Rashputin

Reaction score
And there is no divde. Honestly I think some people are just naturally musically inclined, and some people aren't. Those that aren't might lean a little more towards theory and less about feel..only some people (to which this thread is about) take a faaaar hard turn into theory, and seem to be unable to connect musically apart from what looks good on paper. These kinds of people leave out what's, in my opinion, the most important trait for musicians and guitarists.

:agreed: This.

Latest posts