The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Does Strandberg Japan have a separate Facebook page / website / other socials to follow their stuff? I'm very interested in those J Varbergs a few pages back and I'd love to keep an eye on their other stuff as well. All of the Jbodens that pop up on ebay+reverb look awesome
The best would be following Shun Nokia on Twitter or Facebook, as he's in charge of Strandberg Japan. Or just repeatedly search digimart.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
How much tonal difference is there between the metal 7, Prog 7, and Original 7 (when all Fishman equipped)? Do they really sound that different from each other?

Woocifer

Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma..was wondering if I could get a little insight from any Strandberg players.

I am looking to buy a new 7 string. I've been eyeing up the new Solar e1.7 Explorers. I like the look of the guitar and it seems like it's geared towards what I prefer wood-wise...ie: Mohgany. Plus it has an Evertune, which is something I've been interested in acquiring as well. One major negative is that it's only 22 frets, has Solar Duncan pups...?... and doesn't have a belly cut. Plus I already own a 6 string Schecter Jake Pitts E-1...which surprised the hell out of me as a really nice guitar, but is also a black flamed maple burst.

But I have an opportunity to purchase a Strandberg Boden OS 7 purple quilted maple top 7 string from a famous guitarist, and he said he'd throw in either a pair of EMG 57s or Fishman Classics, instead of the weird ass Strandberg pups in it now.

I'm in Canada, so the Solar will be approx. 1800 bucks, where as the Strandberg, the guy is selling 2k or so US...so like what 2700 Canadian? I'm concerned about dropping that much cash on such a light and strange guitar. I like to play fast and heavy music, dabble with atmospheric music and possibly more mid range rock. I'm not captain prog, more like thrash/death metal, tonally. But I am assured that this guitar is a beast and a great instrument. Apparently he's recorded with the guitar before.

So...what do I do...go with the Ola Explorer cuz it's evil looking as shit or go with the Strandberg, owned by death/prog royalty? I was also looking at the ESP E-2 Eclipse with the evertune, the white ESP E-2 T-B7 Tele, the LTD Ken Susi 7 string silver guitar, a kiesel but they're super expensive...same with the Framus and the Suhrs I was looking at haha

Anyway, what would you do? Will the chambered body colour the tone so much that it will sound like a hollow body death metal tone, or can you get direct aggressive sounds without being Rings of Saturn or Beyond Creation or any other proggy type of band? Also I'm 6'1 and about 265... will this guitar seem really awkward to play when you're a larger type dude?

Cheers

Avedas

Reaction score
I have a bit of a dilemma..was wondering if I could get a little insight from any Strandberg players.

I am looking to buy a new 7 string. I've been eyeing up the new Solar e1.7 Explorers. I like the look of the guitar and it seems like it's geared towards what I prefer wood-wise...ie: Mohgany. Plus it has an Evertune, which is something I've been interested in acquiring as well. One major negative is that it's only 22 frets, has Solar Duncan pups...?... and doesn't have a belly cut. Plus I already own a 6 string Schecter Jake Pitts E-1...which surprised the hell out of me as a really nice guitar, but is also a black flamed maple burst.

But I have an opportunity to purchase a Strandberg Boden OS 7 purple quilted maple top 7 string from a famous guitarist, and he said he'd throw in either a pair of EMG 57s or Fishman Classics, instead of the weird ass Strandberg pups in it now.

I'm in Canada, so the Solar will be approx. 1800 bucks, where as the Strandberg, the guy is selling 2k or so US...so like what 2700 Canadian? I'm concerned about dropping that much cash on such a light and strange guitar. I like to play fast and heavy music, dabble with atmospheric music and possibly more mid range rock. I'm not captain prog, more like thrash/death metal, tonally. But I am assured that this guitar is a beast and a great instrument. Apparently he's recorded with the guitar before.

So...what do I do...go with the Ola Explorer cuz it's evil looking as shit or go with the Strandberg, owned by death/prog royalty? I was also looking at the ESP E-2 Eclipse with the evertune, the white ESP E-2 T-B7 Tele, the LTD Ken Susi 7 string silver guitar, a kiesel but they're super expensive...same with the Framus and the Suhrs I was looking at haha

Anyway, what would you do? Will the chambered body colour the tone so much that it will sound like a hollow body death metal tone, or can you get direct aggressive sounds without being Rings of Saturn or Beyond Creation or any other proggy type of band? Also I'm 6'1 and about 265... will this guitar seem really awkward to play when you're a larger type dude?

Cheers
That guitar is about $500 too expensive and the OS line had a lot of quality inconsistencies. I don't think they ever had Strandberg pickups. Those are likely Strandberg branded Lace pickups. If you care about value and bang for your buck Strandberg is not the place to look.

I haven't actually used those pickups outside of a guitar shop so I can't comment too much on them. When I ran a Boden J7 with them through a Diezel Herbert the neck and bridge positions sounded almost exactly the same which was kinda funny. The chambering doesn't really change your tone much if at all. Acoustically it will be pretty loud though, and of course it reduces the weight of the guitar.

Woocifer

Reaction score
That guitar is about $500 too expensive and the OS line had a lot of quality inconsistencies. I don't think they ever had Strandberg pickups. Those are likely Strandberg branded Lace pickups. If you care about value and bang for your buck Strandberg is not the place to look.

I haven't actually used those pickups outside of a guitar shop so I can't comment too much on them. When I ran a Boden J7 with them through a Diezel Herbert the neck and bridge positions sounded almost exactly the same which was kinda funny. The chambering doesn't really change your tone much if at all. Acoustically it will be pretty loud though, and of course it reduces the weight of the guitar.

Well to be fair, he did say he didn't know, maybe 2k. However...in terms of build quality of the guitar, I would be surprised if this guy had a shitty Strandberg as he's endorsed by them haha But who knows?!?

This is the model and the pickups. I assume you're right about the Lace pickups, but I also assume that's why he was offering to throw in the EMGs or the Fishmans.

But you don't think it's worth it eh?

Avedas

Reaction score
kbjfmm.jpg

Part of my control cavity broke off where the screw goes in when I took the cover off :lol:

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score

Cheers

I own 3 strandbergs including a 7 string boden os (with EMG not lace) and here are my thoughts since you asked.

1) $2000 USD is way too much for that guitar unless said famous guitarist means something special to you and you want it for sentimental reasons. I lucked out and scored mine for less than half of that, but you should be able to find a Boden OS 7 for well under that. Hell, a brand new classic 7 is $1600 and a brand new metal 7 is only $100 more than that used price.

2) I love my strandbergs. I love the endurneck. I love the body shape. I love the weight. I love how small they are. You may feel the same way - you may not. If you haven't played one yet, you should really try to and see if the things that make it unique matter to you. There are a lot of great guitars out there in the strandberg price range and much less. If you don't care about things like the endurneck, or are middle of the road about the body shape, weight, size then there's not really a reason to go with a strandberg. You can find everything else in other guitars that are built just as well, for less money.

3) In general terms - every guitar you listed can get the tone you wanted. They can also all play blues, classic rock, alternative folk and ska. My strandberg salen is a passive single coil powered tele shaped headless - I've never had any issue playing any type of metal on it. I'd say the same thing about my Supro Westbury with it's gold foil pickups and my Danelectro '59 reissue. Would any of those be someone's first choice for da brutalz? Maybe not, but I've always been able to get what I need out of them and in some cases more.

4) You mentioned it twice, so I'm going to do the same.... "owned by death/prog royalty" Without knowing who it is, it's hard to comment on how much impact this would have on the actual value of the guitar. If they're your favorite guitarist in the world, the one that made you pick up a guitar in the first place and you're going to buy to keep it forever - well then, it's priceless to you. Forget about debating specs, you're buying emotional connection. But outside of the sentimental value, it's not really a BETTER guitar than any other used 7 string strandberg OS (condition & setup aside). So then you switch over the investment value. Does the previous owner's celebrity increase the value of the guitar to the point where it's worth paying a premium now because of how it will appreciate in the future? The answer to that will differ depending on the person. If it's Petrucci, Abasi, Vai it would be different than if James Murphy did. If we're being honest, it's not like death/prog metal scene is a hot bed of high value collectible trading.

Alright - I've typed enough. My advice is to play a strandberg for chunk of time (an hour or 2 if you can). If you fall in love with it's uniqueness, then you'll have your answer. If you don't, then you'll also have your answer. What makes it unique is it's main selling point, but it can also be the primary reason NOT to buy one.0